Charmed

Death Takes a Halliwell

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 15, 2001 on The WB

• Touched by an angel

After last week's cutesy ending, Charmed turns dark once more as Cole is tracked down by brainsucking demons and Prue comes face to face with the Angel of Death.

This isn't the best of the darker episodes but it's not bad. The two demons are fairly run of the mill but they do manage to be pretty sinister without the use of costumes or makeup. Whether this is down to a good performance or simply because the one doing the talking looks so odd I wouldn't like to say. Either way, they remind me a lot of the two warlocks in "They're Everywhere".

So much for demons, the real story this week is, of course, the Angel of Death. Guest actor, Simon Templeman, portrays him in a suitably matter of fact and slightly jaded way. Nicely done! I love the idea of a force beyond the reach of good or evil. Aside from the odd reference to "the gods" or "the big guy", this is about as close as this show gets to religion. I can see why the producers would want to steer clear of the subject but it's interesting to get their take on how witchcraft sits with the bigger picture.

As seems to be happening more and more on Charmed, Prue and Phoebe deal with the main action, leaving Piper with Leo and a sub plot until the final vanquish. This week, the sub plot seems to comprise where to put a wedding gift from the Elders. Is it me or this a complete waste of Holly's talents?

Seeing her mother last week has obviously upset Prue and the final scene, where she meets Death on the beach, is surprisingly touching. I'll admit, I'd not appreciated how alone she was until these last few weeks. It's all the more poignant when you realise she only has another six episodes to go.
LIFE