Charmed

Dream Sorcerer

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 04, 1998 on The WB

• Prince Valium and the Dream Machine...

Ripping from movies will become a popular method of coming up with episodic plotlines throughout Charmed's run, and one week after we had a stellar episode that certainly got its inspiration from Ghost, here we have a Dreamscape redux that unfortunately doesn't work nearly as well as either the movie or last episode. The actor playing the "dream sorcerer" plays the character like he is tripping on the best valium ever the entire show. I will admit that his catatonic style is somewhat creepy. This is also the second show in a row where a mortal is the bad guy. His dream machine is straight out of Dreamscape, but it is never explained how he gets into people's dreams from miles away within a lab. This is the first episode where the trauma of losing her mother is apparent in Prue. Prue never really shakes this demon throughout her 3 season run. Prue's disposal of Mr. Valium is perhaps too easy, but it was satisfying that he got what he was giving.

As usual for Charmed, we have a comedic thread to weave with the darker subplot. Phoebe and Piper cast a love spell in an attempt to draw in men, though this will be far from a problem in later years, when it seems like men just pop out of the woodwork for these two. This totally would have been seen as more sinister if it were men casting the spell. Regardless, with a minimum amount of comedy things backfire, of course, and the sisters wisely reverse it. Altogether, slightly below average Charmed fare.