Charmed

Enter the Demon

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 18, 2001 on The WB

• Enter the witches...

The first time I saw this episode I thought it was an outlandish filler episode after the tremendous start to Season 4, but after seeing it a 2nd time, I recognize it as a very enjoyable and original hour of Charmed.

Charmed has always mixed and matched rather brazenly from religion, wicca, and mythology, and this plot involves a very creative mix of Buddhist and Christian ideas. It also involves a vengeful martial artist who can use pools of water to travel between planes and has set up shop in limbo. The stakes really get amped up when a soul-stealing dagger, (is there any other kind?), comes into play, and like last episode, it is Piper's soul that is in danger. Though some of the dialogue is ripped line for line from Enter the Dragon, and some of the action sets are clearly inspired by Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, at least we have two great movies to pay homage to.

In addition to that, the best part of the episode is the lighthearted subplot where Paige and Phoebe get to spend some time in each other's shoes. It was great watching it closely and seeing how well each actress could mimic the other. Alyssa was practically spot on with Paige, if maybe a little exaggerated, and Rose, for being the newcomer, was perhaps even better as the more difficult to play Phoebe, though with a 3rd viewing I did catch her breaking character twice. The clear highlight is in the herbal store, when the guy compliments "Paige" and Rose McGowan does the Phoebe neck rub, Phoebe's ubiquitous gesture when acting shy or uncomfortable. Bravo!

Of course, besides the acting by our ladies, the best part is when Cole knows what is going on and hits on Paige. Hahaha! We get our one and only Cole and Paige kiss! It is an even more enjoyable scene if you already know that Paige and Cole become arch-enemies. Repeated viewings have allowed me to appreciate the writing in this episode, and the beginning of this season, even more. Though it doesn't deal with the issue as openly as the first 3 episodes of the season, Prue's death still lingers over all things, and ultimately, this episode echoes the message of "Death Takes a Halliwell"- in that death is something to be accepted as part of life.