Charmed

Ex Libris

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 27, 2000 on The WB

• Ex Libris

Ex Libris was a perfect episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome and very interesting. There was a lot of great character and plot development as Piper learned more about Leo's past, Phoebe helps a girl who was killed by a demon for getting to close to proving their existence and Prue tried to help a man seeking justice for his daughters murder. There was a lot of action, drama and intrigue. In the end every thing works out and the sisters succeed in overcoming their obstacles. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Leo's past and the hot ghost.

In my pithy summary, I said the two best things about this episode: the sexy Rebecca Cross as Charlene, and the touching scene where Leo's future wife meets his past wife.

This is a nearly unique episode in the fact that all three sisters have their own thread with virtually equal time being spent on all three. Phoebe's story is the only supernatural one of the three. It is an up and down subplot. Rebecca Cross belongs on my list of hottest actors to ever guest star on Charmed. The idea of a Libris, and Prue astral projecting in to vanquish him was excellent.

Unfortunately, this subplot would have been better with more time devoted to it. Libris, I think, had the shortest stint for a demon ever. Plus, the explanation of Charlene being killed because why? She was going to prove the existence of demons through reading books? Craziness. Prue's storyline is probably the weakest of the three. This episode again brings up Prue's issues with Dad, and his birthday kind of lingers in the background. Though they address it directly with the conversation with Phoebe, I still don't see how ultimately they weren't punishing the guilty in this subplot. The entire confession scene was beyond contrived, but I guess it managed to wrap up two plotlines in a succinct manner.

Piper's subplot is the strongest part throughout, starting with their date; Piper looked great, and it is always cool to see them orb together again. Even though the fight scene was preposterous, why would Leo and Dan be fighting again?, Dan being set up in conflict with Leo adds something to the last couple episodes of the season. Easily the best moment of the episode is the well-written scene where Piper meets Leo's past wife. That scene reassures Piper and the audience of who Leo is/was. Like pretty much all the episodes down the stretch for Season 2, this is a good, not a great, episode.
  • A Girl Got Beheaded and All We Got Was This Lousy Episode?

4.1
    Secrets. Lies. Ghosts. Beheadings. You would think those things would combine to make a really good episode. Sadly, they don't. Badly structured and featuring a storyline which gets more and more boring as it goes along, this isn't Charmed at its best.

Ex Libris has a young student at Phoebe's college getting beheaded. Phoebe soon discovers that the girl's ghost is still roaming the halls of the college library and she must help her fulfill her ultimate destiny so she can finally move on. Meanwhile, Prue helps a grieving man find his daughter's killer and Dan investigates Leo.

The A-story sounds pretty good on paper but isn't executed well. The demon-of-the-week, Libris, isn't evolved on much, Rebecca Cross isn't convincing as Charlene and her new-found friendship with Phoebe isn't believable. This is all-round a disappointing story which just drags on for ages.

The B-story is slightly better with some excellent performances from Shannen Doherty and Sliders star Cleavant Derricks. But, Charmed isn't interesting when subplots feature human-based mysteries and it just doesn't feel like a Charmed storyline.

Dan had now fulfilled his usefulness by this time in season two and it just feels like the writers were desperately trying to give him something to do. He started the season as a slightly boring but ultimately nice guy before suddenly turning into this obsessive and jealous freak. Why couldn't they have just let him leave the show instead of keeping him around to drag out the Piper love triangle for an even longer period of time and completely change his character as well?

Rating: D
  • Omg what an episode, love the Piper and Leo scene at the beginning

Wow!!! It was so funny how Prue forgotten that Piper was suppose to have the house to herself because Leo was coming.

Even though it was a little predictable, I especially love the bathroom scene that was a very good scene, love it!!!!

Man I hate Dan!!! Why look into Leo past!!! If Piper wanted to see for herself she would!!! Piper shouldn’t really get mad with Leo not telling her about his past, because that was his past, and Leo seem to have move on. But doesn’t matter, at least she sorta forgive him.
  • Too many threads and not enough yarn

This is one of those annoying episodes which is full of good ideas but somehow fails to turn them into a great storyline. There's certainly plenty of action and the first half hour is really intriguing as you try and work out where all the plots are going. Unfortunately, the answer is nowhere.

There are three distinct strands: 1) Phoebe's new friend Charlene is murdered and becomes a ghost while Phoebe hunts down the demon that killed her; 2) Prue helps a bloke find out who murdered his daughter and takes on the local hardman; 3) Dan and Leo come to blows over Piper and she finds out Leo used to be married.

Having a mortal prove the existence of demons was a really good idea and I thought they could have made far more of it than they did. All the way through I felt a dramatic twist was just around the corner but sadly it never came. The demon Libris was vanquished way too easily and Charlene didn't seem remotely bothered that she had just been murdered. We also never got to hear what she had uncovered.

Prue's storyline seemed pretty pointless and didn't add anything to the episode in the end. I'd much rather they'd focused more on the demon plot.

The best part of the episode is actually Leo and Dan's storyline. Watching them kicking the sh*t out of each other in P3 is one of the best Charmed moments ever. I don't know why Dan has suddenly become so obsessed with Leo. Beating him up is hardly going to make Piper want to take him back. I did think it was a nice touch to have Piper meet Leo's first wife though.

Seeing Brian Krause in the shower was an added plus and his expression when he saw Prue was priceless. Nice orbs indeed!
  • Dead Girl On Campus

6.1
    Ex-Libris-The sisters must find a demon responsible for the murder of one of Phoebe's classmates. Meanwhile, Dan discovers that Leo was previously married, and decides to take matters into his own hands, while Prue attempts to help a man who is looking for a witness to his daughter's murder.

One of the most touching sub-plots from the series is accompained by one of worst demon plots, making "Ex-Libris" a severly uneven episode. Yeah, it starts out dark with Phoebe's latest new class mate, Charlene, getting beheaded by a demon named Libris after the fact she is close to proving her theory that demon's exist is true. But the episode falls flat from then on as the writers do absolute nothing with the storyline. It doesn't help Rebecca Cross is horrible as Charlene and Libris is such a pathetic villain just standing there and getting vanquished way so easily and quickly making the whole story seem pointless in the end. Not to mention, the sub-plot with Dan and Leo's fight was so stupid and random. The writers try to make Dan look like he's protecting Piper, but he looks more like over-emotional jerk all of a sudden. You just wish the writers just left him as boring as he was as he's character becomes more useless as this season draws to a close. At least, Piper found out Leo was married before which was a bit of a shock and at least the writers had a sense to resolve it by episode end instead of dragging it out for episode to come.

On the other hand, Prue's sub-plot was brilliant as she must help Cleavant Wilson, a desperate find peace when his daughter's murderer refuses to confess to doing it. It's a wonderful dramatic storyline with excellent performances from Shannen Doherty and Cleavant Derricks. Also, Jeremy Roberts (Gibbs) and I love how the story is resolved by Charlene getting justice for Cleavant's daughter's murder. All and All, "Ex Libris" is a so-so episode with a horrible main plot but a more than beautiful sub-plot.
  • Everything seemed to be happening at once in this episode. Phoebe's classmate is murdered, Prue helps a man find his daughter's killer and Dan has some very interesting news for Piper.

Phoebe is enjoying college life but she is less than thrilled when a classmate is murdered and appears to her later as a ghost asking for her help in finding the person who killed her. Meanwhile, a grieving father seeks Prue's assistance in finding the person who killed his daughter so there are two murders which the sisters are trying tosolve at once.

I felt sorry for Dan in this episode but, at the same time, I was a little annoyed by him. It's clear that he has strong feelings for Piper but I can't really find a good enough reason for him to go snooping into Leo's past, only to discover that Leo Wyatt, who supposedly died many years previously, was a married man who left behind a childless widow. I also can't figure out why Leo had never told Piper this before as it seems as though he was deliberately keeping it from her for no good reason.

One thing is for certain, though, Dan is certainly going to keep digging and wondering what else Leo is hiding from this point on! A good episode to set up later events.
  • I really liked Dan and Piper together. I was really pissed to the fact that Leo was interferring. He should have left well enough alone. Also to the fact that he was a war hero in his past is beside the point. He should have left Piper be with Dan.

7.6
    Overall, the story was good but sad. A dad trying to get somebody to help who killed his only daughter. I couldn't believe nobody would do anything. At least he stood out there and somebody did help. Also, Charlene was convincing towards making that store owner confess to killing the other girl. I thought Prue was funny when she used her nose in making the accordian fall on Gibbs, a simple Samantha move. Everything else was good. As I stated in my summary, I thought Piper and Dan were a good couple. She deserved a normal life with a normal guy. Leo was always secretive and should not have interferred in Piper's love life.
  • Moving on...

While studying for her finals in the library, Phoebe meets Charlene, who is researching about demons for her thesis. When Charlene opens an encyclopedia about demons, she is decapitated by Libris. Later, Charlene's ghost contacts Phoebe and the Halliwell sisters decide to help her to vanquish Libris and move on. Meanwhile, Prue sees a man, Cleavant Wilson, every day on the bench of a bus stop trying to find a witness to testify against the killer of his daughter Tyra and she decides to help him to move on in his life. Dan discloses that Leo was married, making Piper upset.

"Ex Libris" deals with moving on in life and death, and relationships between fathers and daughters. In the ghost story, Charlene wishes to prove her father how capable she is; Cleavant Wilson wants to show her daughter how much he loved her; and Piper expects that Phoebe and Prue sign a birthday card for their father. In the end, most of the situations are resolved except the wounds between Prue and her father.
  • when will it end

5.8
    o my god, this episode was so boring. I couldn't wait for it to end. It seemed that the longer it was on the worse it got. I wonder if I was to watch it again knowing what happens in the episode would it slower or faster. All in all boring.
  • A girl is decaputated by a demon in a library where Phoebe studies. Her ghost came to Phoebe for help. At the same time Prue tries to help a father whose daughter has been killed by a local criminal.Piper finds out through Dan that Leo was married.

4.9
    I was just wondering about Leo's previous marriage that is brought up in this episode.
    He fought in the WW2 right, so he must've been like 20-something years old when he died, which would mean that he was born in 1920 something.
    But, in "Pardon my Past" they are in 1927 and Leo is maybe 30 years old or so, and he is Piper's past lover.
    So how it is possible then, that he was 20-something yrs old when he died, or rather say in 1940's??? And married, to a woman that is not Piper?!?! It couldn't be possible.
  • Below average.

4.9
    Ex libris is a below average episode in my opinion. Although I could watch it again I wouldn't enjoy it and I would be waiting for it to end. This episode did have an interesting plot. A classmate of Phoebe's gets murdered because she almost found out about the existence of demons. She becomes a ghost and gets the help of the charmed ones to helo her move on to the afterlife but she has to solve another young girls murder. This episode did interest me but then it just got worse as the minutes went by. Overall: A really average episode.
  • dan shouldve stayed out of leo and pipers business!

dan is so annoying! dan should have stayed out of leo and piper's business! he is so nosy! lol. i thought it was cool how pruewas trying to find the murderer who killed the guys daughter. it was cool that the perosn phoebe was trying to help made the murderder confess that he killed her! tht was cool!