Charmed

Extreme Makeover: World Edition

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 2005 on The WB

• THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'

The times they are a-changin'

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with this one. It's a good storyline but, with such a cosmic plot, there should have been more fireworks.

The avatar plot has been building for weeks now so, thankfully, none of the action feels rushed. I'd been dying to see what Utopia looked like but when it arrived it was pretty feeble - just lots of people beaming and shaking hands. I also didn't get how there could still be demons around. All along, the avatars have been telling us that Utopia means a world without evil. So how come Zankou and his mates are still alive? And what about the elders? Are they still around too? Sadly, the answer is probably yes. The transformation is also rather weak: some cheap graphics and everyone lying down in the street. What happened to the spell they were going to use?

The 'Kyle hates avatars' storyline is beginning to wear a little thin although having him work alongside Zankou was actually the best bit of the episode. All the way through I was waiting (and hoping) for him to get busted but it ended with him killing an avatar before being zapped himself. This would have been far more dramatic if we hadn't seen the same thing three episodes earlier. Rose gives a wonderful performance in his death scene but I just couldn't bring myself to feel sorry for him.

Some of it lives up to the billing: the outbreak of paranoia is an clever idea and nicely acted by the three leads. I also liked Piper's suspicion of Kyle. Overall though, it's a bit of a letdown. And they never did answer Phoebe's question about what happened to the aircraft. I guess we'll never know....

Score: 8.9