Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Biggest Plot-Hole?

tvfan332

[61]May 19, 2008
    • level: 37
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

ok sorry i am sure i got reflection and deflection mixed up but let me explain what i mean it is a power that throws back the powers directed at her like energy balls fire balls ect ect it made prue tooo powerful sorry about my mistres SKREWER ME OK?

sincerley,

silverfoxy

That's not deflection, that's Prue's telekinesis. It was never explained or mentioned on the show that she had deflection, her telekinesis just lets her throw fireballs/energy balls back at the demons who throw them.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NJZ

[62]May 19, 2008
    • level: 29
    tvfan332 wrote:
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

ok sorry i am sure i got reflection and deflection mixed up but let me explain what i mean it is a power that throws back the powers directed at her like energy balls fire balls ect ect it made prue tooo powerful sorry about my mistres SKREWER ME OK?

sincerley,

silverfoxy

That's not deflection, that's Prue's telekinesis. It was never explained or mentioned on the show that she had deflection, her telekinesis just lets her throw fireballs/energy balls back at the demons who throw them.

Yeah, it's not deflection, it's TK.

silverfoxy8472

[63]May 20, 2008
    • level: 14

yes njz i just looked it up on another site and realized i was wrong but no power should be able to even act as deflection which her tk did being back to throw back anything the warlock(pests in the long run) and demons could throw at her and eventually going in that direction she probably would have gotten deflection or reflection but hey she didn't and i was wrong is everyone ok now?

sincerely,

silverfoxy

RHalladay

[64]May 20, 2008
    • level: 6
    I always found the way the sisters got away with thinks to be annoying. Like when Phoebe used magic on her boyfriend in front of hundreds of people and no one seemed to notice. Also the way Prue's death was handled. But the biggest one was when Sam died to save Prue, Phoebe, and Piper in an early episode, but was somehow still alive after he was revealed to be Paige's father. I know he was a whitelighter, but to have him die twice and then be brought back. At least when one of the sisters were killed, they explained how she was brought back.

NJZ

[65]May 21, 2008
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    but no power should be able to even act as deflection which her tk did being back to throw back anything the warlock(pests in the long run) and demons could throw at her and eventually going in that direction

But that's like saying there should be a limit to her TK. There shouldn't be. The whole point of TK is that you can move things with your mind. As long as the person with the power knows how to control it, it shouldn't matter how he/she uses it. And so I don't think it makes Prue too powerful because she can use her TK to deflect attacks from demons. Plus, Phoebe's empathy basically allowed her to channel demons' powers and using them against said demons, I don't see anyone complaining that that was too powerful (even though I do think it was completely lame).

silverfoxy8472

[66]May 22, 2008

well yes njz that is exactly what i am saying it is the witchly equivlant of a mental power requires concentration no offense fire balls/energy ball sheesh lightning balls (which is what they look like to me) move too fast especially after launch how would she have focused on it to it back to the enemy

sincerely.

silverfoxy

silverfoxy8472

[67]May 22, 2008

oops forget to address the other issues phoebe's ability to channel power's is a modification on channeling emotions she had the skill basically down which was why there was no trying to master it peirod but hey you want to think it is lame go right ahead and empathy needed a more active outlet that is what phoebe's complaint was all along even though she got levitation emathy with an active side is not lame but hey maybe the channeling should have been another seperate power but i think they did it quite well anyway and not lame.

sincerely,

silverfoxy

NJZ

[68]May 22, 2008
    It all depends on reflex time though. We saw in a really early episode (can't remember which, Dead Man dating perhaps) that Piper could freeze a moving bullet. I'm pretty sure fireballs and energy balls move slower than that since their velocity is determined by the demon, rather than a mechanical/automatic object. So I don't think it's a stretch to think that Prue could also have a reflex time fast enough to deflect attacks using her TK. As for Phoebe, I do understand that the channelling powers was an advancement/modification on her previous ones. What I meant was that I don't see you saying that the empathy made her too powerful yet you're saying that Prue's TK was too powerful. And I did think it was rather lame but not because of the power itself but because the writers gave her that power, then decided it was too expensive/made Phoebe more powerful than the other sisters so then they decided to scrap it. That's what was lame. I have no issue with the power itself.

tvfan332

[69]May 23, 2008
    I thought Phoebe's empathy power was lame also. I mean, the writers had an entire season to use it, but it was done more successfully in one episode of a previous season (Primrose Empath...so awesome). I don't think empathy costed much though NJZ, all they did was put on that irritating wind-chimy music. I'm pretty sure her powers were cut down because they couldn't afford the wireworks for her levitation power...which is odd since I can't even remember her using that very often.

NJZ

[70]May 23, 2008
    True, it probably wasn't all that expensive. But I do think it made her a lot more powerful than she should've been at that stage (considering that Piper should've been the most powerful sister, not Phoebe). And yeah, they did cut down her powers because levitation was seemingly expensive. But I thought it was lame to introduce a power and then get rid of it almost straightaway. That just didn't make any sense. And I agree, Phoebe didn't use her levitation power all that much anyway. I , for one, do not buy the budget cut story at all. Season 8 was supposed to be cheaper yet they had more explosions/effects in that season than any other.

CharmedGuyP3

[71]May 23, 2008
    • level: 9
    RHalladay wrote:
    I always found the way the sisters got away with thinks to be annoying. Like when Phoebe used magic on her boyfriend in front of hundreds of people and no one seemed to notice. Also the way Prue's death was handled. But the biggest one was when Sam died to save Prue, Phoebe, and Piper in an early episode, but was somehow still alive after he was revealed to be Paige's father. I know he was a whitelighter, but to have him die twice and then be brought back. At least when one of the sisters were killed, they explained how she was brought back.

They did explain it. I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure it was explained that he was sent back for some reason.

tvfan332

[74]May 23, 2008

NJZ wrote:
    True, it probably wasn't all that expensive. But I do think it made her a lot more powerful than she should've been at that stage (considering that Piper should've been the most powerful sister, not Phoebe). And yeah, they did cut down her powers because levitation was seemingly expensive. But I thought it was lame to introduce a power and then get rid of it almost straightaway. That just didn't make any sense. And I agree, Phoebe didn't use her levitation power all that much anyway. I , for one, do not buy the budget cut story at all. Season 8 was supposed to be cheaper yet they had more explosions/effects in that season than any other.

I pretty much agree with you. I know everyone says the special effects for season eight were terrible or whatever, but really, apart from the orbing, I thought everything was mostly great. If they wanted to save their budget they wouldn't have brought in unneccesary guest stars like Janice Dickinson (not saying anything against her, she basically made I'm A Celebrity so brilliant last year...) and that guy from Sex and the City. I agree though, I had no problems with the effects...apart from the orbing.

silverfoxy8472

[75]May 24, 2008

well i didn't think of the bullet thing that is a good point but that only means they did it because they didn't want the heroine to get shot and have to deal with going to the hospital and her having to explain what was the true reason for the bullet wound which i am not so sure they could have explained without the risk of exposure i could be wrong on that point but removing the writers and the other reasons for a second i am unsure that it would have made sense unless you wish to explain it away by being los(line of sight) which means anything she can see she can tk or in piper's case freeze or blow up (later) since that seems to be one of the things they never said but it seemed fairly obvious as well as they went along with the use of their powers

2) phoebe could never have become the most powerful because the channeling especially depended entirely on the strength of the demon and was ususally used in limited situations i think plus phoebe doesn't have enough truly active powers to become super powerful plus it may also have to do with the fact phoebe was the all about love character

3) i am confused how did phoebe supplant piper as the most powerful because of levitation and empathy? they are a combo that at best when extented could possibly help you predict what the demon will do next in a fight but i think that is streching it a bit and with levetation her damage is based on her strength (when levetatiing) not her martial arts skill which she has aquired by that time thanks the black hearted source of all evil immortal sob cole but they are not a combo that makes her more powerful than piper who could simply freeze you then blow you up depending on the level of the demon and the state of her emotions as we saw with the firestarter. as for the studio cost thing i tend to agree it couldn't have been that her levitation was sooo costly that they had to cut it beyond the fact she had been abusing her powers alot before they took it away not much other reason to take it away.

4) well now with the prue issue hopefully dead i would love to see if anyone can come up with other plot holes to discuss unless we have killed them all.

sincerely,

silverfoxy

tvfan332

[76]May 25, 2008

silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    2) phoebe could never have become the most powerful because the channeling especially depended entirely on the strength of the demon and was ususally used in limited situations i think plus phoebe doesn't have enough truly active powers to become super powerful plus it may also have to do with the fact phoebe was the all about love character

I didn't really get where you were trying to go with the rest of the post...I didn't really understand. Anywho, it would have made her the most powerful since she could basically tap into anyone's power she wanted too.

NJZ

[77]May 25, 2008
    Yeah, I'm with tvfan here. I didn't really understand your 2nd point and I do think she'd eventually become more powerful had she kept the empathy power since she would've learnt how to tap into powers easily.

JoshSutton

[78]May 25, 2008
    • level: 15
    I think what tvfan was saying was that Phoebe was only as strong as the power she was channeling at the time. But still empathy was a super power and Phoebe was neither the eldest nor a superwitch. So i reckon she shouldn't have been given that power, i'm glad they took it away tbh.

tvfan332

[79]May 25, 2008
    Something confuses me about empathy, it was mentioned that it would let her tap into the demons powers, right? Well, why could she basically send fireballs hurtling back at them? I mean, it didn't give her telekinesis, it just gave her the ability to use their powers...ugh, this is confusing me. I'd go back and watch season six to try to understand more but to be honest I've suffered through it once and I'm not ready to watch that dreadful season again.

JoshSutton

[80]May 26, 2008
    • level: 15

tvfan332 wrote:
    Something confuses me about empathy, it was mentioned that it would let her tap into the demons powers, right? Well, why could she basically send fireballs hurtling back at them? I mean, it didn't give her telekinesis, it just gave her the ability to use their powers...ugh, this is confusing me. I'd go back and watch season six to try to understand more but to be honest I've suffered through it once and I'm not ready to watch that dreadful season again.

Haha! Agree with you on that season 6 was dreadful. I think erm Phoebe was able to throw fireballs back because the demons could.

But thinking about it, when Prue had empathy i don't remember her tapping into the demon's powers. It just enhanced her own.