Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Biggest Plot-Hole?

  • Avatar of super_friend21

    super_friend21

    [81]May 26, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 550
    I always liked the empath power Phoebe acquired and thought it was lame how her powers were stripped from her but only eventually got her premonition power back. That really pi**ed me off. Anyway the reason she could send fireballs back towards a demon is because the demon controls where the fireball goes right? And so by channeling their powers, she can control where it goes. The budget cuts really did annoy me and I think the normality of demon's appearance from Season 6+ really annoyed me as well so I would consider that a plot hole. Not to mention, episodes without magic at all like 'Run, Piper, Run'. The mythology was lost as well in the latter seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverfoxy8472

    silverfoxy8472

    [82]May 26, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 258

    ok where to begin where to begin ahhhh yes addressing tvfan332's issue with my last post would be a good place

    1) ok tvfan332 where i was going with that was simply that ppl in this forum seem to think phoebe would have surpassed piper with empathy in her repotire (spelling) her arsenal ect ect except for one thing everyone forget about this tapping into demons powers would have had a cumaltive effect and from that there would have been no saving her and if you thought it was hard saving her from being dark queen heh imagine two years worth of evil residuals she would have been gone into the underworld breaking the power of three and the ending (forever charmed) would have been far different and oh yes i never saw her tap another witch's powers but i could be wrong.

    2) ok let's get this straight once more mind you the channeling for goddess sakes channeling should have been seperate but it wasn't empathy simply is especially in this case and in the case of many other situations that have powers the reading and channeling of others emotions and prue was never meant to have it (primrose empath) therefore she never tapped the fullest potential of it

    3) ok as for the issue of season six i loved it but then again i follow my own star sorta speak i mean paige if i remember correctly was floundering phoebe was abusing her powers and piper was having more than ever issues because i think leo was an elder at that point and in and out alot and she was trying to live life without him this was the season where they were the mostt unsure of themselves and impure(phoebe) and it was refreshing being all about the greater good is wonderful but purity has to wear away after all the crap they have gone through and the winds of change had to come the charmed one were looking towards the someday that we all hope for (and in my case recently found but not marriage yet) if we are lucky find as well and frankly the charmed ones were burnt out the attacks just never ended and i would get tired to if i had been them.

    4) ok phoebe shouldn't have been able to throw the fireballs but if she was truly completely channeling them she should have been able to create them which goes back into the issue of evil residuals tapping evil powers doesn't make you evil but using them even for short times leaves resuidals ok? and as for the latter seasons losing the mythology they were working on the one thing everyone i think agrees the charmed one deserved their love life as for run piper run do you actually mean not actual spell casting because the problem was rooted in magic considering she changed her identity with a spell and she screwed up badly.

    sincerely,

    silverfoxy

    P.S a question about the ranks below the avatars on this board like tvfan332's borg queen are they affected by the avatar you use like a female avatar get more fem sounding ranks and male avatars get miore masculine sounding ranks?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvfan332

    tvfan332

    [83]May 26, 2008
    • member since: 06/10/06
    • level: 37
    • rank: Cylon
    • posts: 3,851

    silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    1) ok tvfan332 where i was going with that was simply that ppl in this forum seem to think phoebe would have surpassed piper with empathy in her repotire (spelling) her arsenal ect ect except for one thing everyone forget about this tapping into demons powers would have had a cumaltive effect and from that there would have been no saving her and if you thought it was hard saving her from being dark queen heh imagine two years worth of evil residuals she would have been gone into the underworld breaking the power of three and the ending (forever charmed) would have been far different and oh yes i never saw her tap another witch's powers but i could be wrong.

    I suppose that makes sense, I mean tapping into demon's powers could've turned her evil but the writers never really explored that at all. I think she did tap into powers at one point, I mean she tapped into Piper's Valkyrie powers in the season six premiere, so I don't see how she couldn't channel witch powers or something.

    silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    P.S a question about the ranks below the avatars on this board like tvfan332's borg queen are they affected by the avatar you use like a female avatar get more fem sounding ranks and male avatars get miore masculine sounding ranks?

    No the ranks have nothing to do with your icon. You change rank by going up levels, so even if someone had a different icon from me but were the same level, they'd still be a borg queen. So...the level you're on is the rank you (and everyone else) would get on that rank. Does that make sense? I don't think I explained it properly.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WillowMoonLight

    WillowMoonLight

    [85]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 02/13/08
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 34
    RHalladay wrote:
    I always found the way the sisters got away with thinks to be annoying. Like when Phoebe used magic on her boyfriend in front of hundreds of people and no one seemed to notice. Also the way Prue's death was handled. But the biggest one was when Sam died to save Prue, Phoebe, and Piper in an early episode, but was somehow still alive after he was revealed to be Paige's father. I know he was a whitelighter, but to have him die twice and then be brought back. At least when one of the sisters were killed, they explained how she was brought back.


    They made Sam a whitelighter again (lol he didn't seem too happy about it). Pheobe even asks him how he's still alive. It doesn't really make sense but it was explained.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverfoxy8472

    silverfoxy8472

    [86]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 258

    tv332

    1) i never said that she couldn't i just said i never saw her do it while she had the power plus i don't remember if it was her powers or just her emotions that she was trying to suppress at the time which is what i remember happening at the time where she turned around and started giving leo the riot act which is thought was great and somewhat hilarious at the same time i mean she helped to express piper's inner rage which is what made the empathy power anything but lame i don't know about you but if more ppl had her power the world would be better off

    2) anyone with other plot holes to discuss or did i light such a fire that the topic is now dead?

    sincerely,

    silverfoxy

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Don_Moltisanti

    Don_Moltisanti

    [87]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 06/12/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 319
    i don't think the Avatars were a plot hole i think it was one of the better storys in the series. I think the avatar story was supposed to be the final story was it not? The season 6 or 7 storyline before they came up with Billie and that whole thing, or was the avatars the second last story before Billie was introduced. Was the last story before Billie the one with the Demon that was woken up by the other demons? Sorry if i'm not making much sense i cant quite remember what season was what, been a while since i watched them all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_friend21

    super_friend21

    [88]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 550
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    ok where to begin where to begin ahhhh yes addressing tvfan332's issue with my last post would be a good place

    1) ok tvfan332 where i was going with that was simply that ppl in this forum seem to think phoebe would have surpassed piper with empathy in her repotire (spelling) her arsenal ect ect except for one thing everyone forget about this tapping into demons powers would have had a cumaltive effect and from that there would have been no saving her and if you thought it was hard saving her from being dark queen heh imagine two years worth of evil residuals she would have been gone into the underworld breaking the power of three and the ending (forever charmed) would have been far different and oh yes i never saw her tap another witch's powers but i could be wrong



    Well that would have made a very interesting story-arc. You know, Phoebe's slow transition into evil like a half-season version of Long Live the Queen if that happened instead of the Billie/Christy story-arc which was kind of a plot hole as the greatest power is the Charmed Ones.

    And btw, in Run, Piper, Run my point was there were no demons and the magic that was in the episode was not enough. Budget cuts again! In my opinion budget cuts ruined the latter seasons a bit!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [89]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    Don_Moltisanti wrote:
    i don't think the Avatars were a plot hole i think it was one of the better storys in the series. I think the avatar story was supposed to be the final story was it not? The season 6 or 7 storyline before they came up with Billie and that whole thing, or was the avatars the second last story before Billie was introduced. Was the last story before Billie the one with the Demon that was woken up by the other demons? Sorry if i'm not making much sense i cant quite remember what season was what, been a while since i watched them all.


    Before the Billie/Christy storyline of Season 8, they last story arc was that of Zankou trying to steal the Nexus from the manor. Before that was the Avatar storyline. And both happened in Season 7.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CharmedOneP391

    CharmedOneP391

    [90]May 27, 2008
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,108
    I thought that Phoebe's empathy power was awesome. They should've given that power back to her so that she could do something when it came to demons. I thought it did make her the most powerful sister, because she could concentrate her emapthic abilities into powers, but Piper and Paige took potions that made them immune to her empathy. So she couldn't channel their powers, which i guess contradicted the whole season 6 Phoebe being the most powerful sister.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Telekinesis429

    Telekinesis429

    [91]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 03/04/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 180
    Ok I know some of you guys are getting bored with all these topics, so here are two NEW plottholes [i haven't checked the forum in a while...so i hope they're new].

    1) In the episode "The Witch is Back", Melinda said that blinkning is a witch's power (she was wondering what witch Tate [i think that's his name] stole his blinking ability from) but in future years blinking will always be a demonic power. Leo even says that it's a demonic power in the episode "Bride & Gloom"

    2) Also, in "Bride & Gloom" Cole says that evil CAN'T love, it's just satisfation and obsession (or something like that, i can't remember the exact quote). But in season 2's "Heartbreak City" Cupid said evil CAN love...this was prooved by numerous demons, even Cole, himself, disprover what he said about evil's inablity to love. It wouldn't be such a bad plothole...but that's how they saved Prue in the episode, with Cole advice that evil CAN'T love!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverfoxy8472

    silverfoxy8472

    [92]May 28, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 258

    1) ok what i am about to say is going to sound contridictorary in nature but try to stay with me and understand it both leo and cupid were right in their statements but both statments were sort of incomplete as well yes i agree with cupid evil can love but evil can't truly love when the transition from human to warlock or demon takes place the morality becomes reversed and what is important i relationship becomes more than a bit twisted as well warlocks and demons (pure blooded demnons) care about two things themselves and what power they can get for themselves to help them survive another day as the seer said during the avatars being a demon is all about feeding the emptiness and to address cole he was half human which is where the love came from not the demon half also the reason he became psycho but the reason he sought out the powers he did even if he didn't realize it was his demon side cole said demons worship strength proven many many times especially later before zankou and after zankou they were all trying to become the top dog sorta speak but demons and love don't mix they can form long term alliances but will betray their lover in an instant for more power.

    hmmm i guess that is all for today.

    sincerely,

    silverfoxy

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AllFiredUp

    AllFiredUp

    [93]May 29, 2008
    • member since: 03/18/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 57

    More than once, I wondered why they didn't use one of their powers in a certain way (that they had previously) or, especially, why they didn't use the 'Power of Three' chant to protect themselves as they had before.

    The biggest question after Forever Charmed was- Why didn't Piper use Coop's ring to go back and save Prue?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JIH1984x

    JIH1984x

    [94]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 168
    th77 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

    The Cleaners. Where the hell were they when Prue died?!

    Also, the entire "Witchstock" episode! Penny Halliwell, anyone? The episode was clearly written to have Patty in that role, but because she was unavaliable, they decided to force it on Penny. Instead of changing the character, they should've changed the time period (to the 50's), where it had a chance of making sense.

    And I also agree somewhat on Witchstock.. I never thought it was written for Patty(kinda makes sense though)But it timed out bad, even if the episode was 1960(which was not woodstock) and Patty was 10 cause it was said she was born in 1950 it contradicted so many other things(like the necromancer being involved with Penny at the time of the Patty wiccaning and she certainly aged alot by 1975 when the girls time traveled) So I always thought like you said it should've been the 50's


    The whole timing thing was bad. Patty, when woodstock would have happened, would have been old enough to be part of it - at least too old to need a babysitter at her aunt's. Other issues include how Allen claimed that Paige looked like his sister, I think because of the red hair. However, though Rose has red hair, Paige was supposed to be a natural brunette so that she would share similarities with Prue.

    Why was Leo connected with Penny in that episode, but every other episode regarding time travel and/or Penny has her meeting Leo for the first time and then not knowing much about him. For that matter, in the last episode, why didn't Penny know that her 3 grandaughters (Piper was at least 10 by that point) would be the charmed ones?

    I really liked the episode, but there were so many inconsistencies with it that we just have to bite the bullet and deal.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JIH1984x

    JIH1984x

    [95]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 168
    tvfan332 wrote:
    Princess_Pinky wrote:

    tvfan332 wrote:
    Do these writes even watch the show they're writing for? Do they even have any clue of what is supposed to happen in the Charmed world. Everytime I come on these boards, I become aware of another plot-hole.

    You can say that again! I think after season four, the writer's just stopped watching Charmed before they were hired. It one of my biggest pet peeves. If I worked for a show, I'd make it a point to have the episodes on tape/DVD and constantly rewatch them; especially the fan favorites. You can learn a lot from rewatching old episodes and bring in continuity, but apparently nobody on the Kern writing staff decided that was important. It was ridiculous!

    I completely agree with you, it only takes one line in one episode to make a plot-hole, if I was working on a show I'd be constantly checking to see if something I wrote didn't match to something in a previous episode.



    I agree. Shows are supposed to have writers that are specifically there to find and stop plot holes. However, inconsistencies happen in many shows, and with actor/director/producer changes, it makes it that much more difficult. The fact is that the show became extremely different after Kern took over, and so I'm sure he approved changes that would better meet his agenda.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JIH1984x

    JIH1984x

    [96]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 168
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    Chris' last name was Perry because he wasn't about to be like "yeaa, my name's Chris Halliwell". He just made it up..


    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that we are told after baby Chris is born that his name is Christopher Perry Halliwell.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JIH1984x

    JIH1984x

    [97]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 168
    CharmedGuyP3 wrote:
    RHalladay wrote:
    I always found the way the sisters got away with thinks to be annoying. Like when Phoebe used magic on her boyfriend in front of hundreds of people and no one seemed to notice. Also the way Prue's death was handled. But the biggest one was when Sam died to save Prue, Phoebe, and Piper in an early episode, but was somehow still alive after he was revealed to be Paige's father. I know he was a whitelighter, but to have him die twice and then be brought back. At least when one of the sisters were killed, they explained how she was brought back.


    They did explain it. I don't remember the details but I'm pretty sure it was explained that he was sent back for some reason.


    When he was back in season 5, we were told that right after he and Patty crossed back over, the elders gave him back his wings. This was because he sacrificed himself, and because he was meant to be a whitelighter. My issues with Sam are more that he was so distant so when he came back again in season 8 and apologized to Paige, it seemed forced.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JIH1984x

    JIH1984x

    [98]May 30, 2008
    • member since: 06/26/07
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 168
    tvfan332 wrote:
    Something confuses me about empathy, it was mentioned that it would let her tap into the demons powers, right? Well, why could she basically send fireballs hurtling back at them? I mean, it didn't give her telekinesis, it just gave her the ability to use their powers...ugh, this is confusing me.


    The ability to tap into demons' powers was stupid because most other seasons/episodes discuss how a demonic trait is their inability to feel. In that case, what 'feeling' was Phoebe empathetically tapping into?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_friend21

    super_friend21

    [99]May 31, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 550
    JIH1984x wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:
    Something confuses me about empathy, it was mentioned that it would let her tap into the demons powers, right? Well, why could she basically send fireballs hurtling back at them? I mean, it didn't give her telekinesis, it just gave her the ability to use their powers...ugh, this is confusing me.


    The ability to tap into demons' powers was stupid because most other seasons/episodes discuss how a demonic trait is their inability to feel. In that case, what 'feeling' was Phoebe empathetically tapping into?


    Excellent point!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [100]May 31, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    super_friend21 wrote:
    JIH1984x wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:
    Something confuses me about empathy, it was mentioned that it would let her tap into the demons powers, right? Well, why could she basically send fireballs hurtling back at them? I mean, it didn't give her telekinesis, it just gave her the ability to use their powers...ugh, this is confusing me.


    The ability to tap into demons' powers was stupid because most other seasons/episodes discuss how a demonic trait is their inability to feel. In that case, what 'feeling' was Phoebe empathetically tapping into?


    Excellent point!


    I completely agree. I had not thought about it that way at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.