We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

H o m o s e x u a l i t y In the Charmed Universe

maxpower03

[1]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 42

Am I right in thinking that the only confirmed gay characters in all of Charmed's eight seasons were Brenda and Carly, the two lesbians from Charrrmed!? I've always wondered why exactly we were never given a gay character, especially as the show is set in San Francisco, which is essentially the gay capital of the world. Obviously, not every show needs a gay character, but it would have been nice to see at least a couple of guest characters that were homosexual.

I recently read on the Television Without Pity forums some quotes from former writer Krista Vernoff, who said "This was Spelling Entertainment, so there was not a lot of support in the room for putting the gays back in San Francisco". Is that really surprising? Aaron Spelling comes from that generation where most people were either moderately homophobic or moderately racist, but, still, I would have thought such prejudices would be left out of the writers room, am I right?

It may have just been accidental, but I find it bad, even embarassing, that the show only had one episode featuring a gay person. Also taking into consideration that it would be a push to find many straight male adults who would even tune into the show on a regular basis, I've always found it strange.

Does anybody agree that homosexuality should have been referenced more in the Charmed universe? Or pin-point any episodes I may have forgotten that had a gay character?

Also, I had to space out the letters in the topic title since it's a censored word on the forums... for some wacky reason. So, please could any mods ignore the fact that I didn't block the whole word out as it's not in any way an abusive, derogatory discussion. Thanks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

monkeygurl007

[2]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 14

Good topic max. I think it would of been a good idea. But I think it would of lost ratings to some(racist,homophobies, and immature people).

Edited on 08/30/2006 3:13pm

whitelighter333

[3]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 6

Sure i guess it would have been ok i personally do not agree with the whole gay thing due to my religion and personal beliefs so do not think i am being immature because that is the just the way i was raised, a baptist

jemaa09

[4]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 10
    I agree max, I think that this is a good topic, but I have to say that although I am not a hoomophobe I am agaisnt, just because it goes against God and all, but as for this forum, I think the writers probably did not incorporate it that much because it's a really controversial topic, but I think they should have done it, just because it's San Fransisco, like the gay capitol of America, right?

Nacha255

[5]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 12
    whitelighter333 wrote:

Sure i guess it would have been ok i personally do not agree with the whole gay thing due to my religion and personal beliefs so do not think i am being immature because that is the just the way i was raised, a baptist

I'm exactly the same. Just substitute "orthodox Jew" for "Baptist". I wouldn't have enjoyed a gay character. I didn't particularly object to the lesbians but I didn't think the show needed more gay characters. Charmed was meant to be a nice, unthreatening, entartaining show, not a groundbreaking radical show. If they had offered opinions on homosexuality (which they would have had to have done if they had had more gay characters) it would have seemed like the show was trying to be something that it's not.

SVUroxmySOX

[6]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 9
    That might be a good idea as long as the whole show didn't revolve around it, i don't like it when they keep throwing in people that don't need to be there like billie and christy

buffyjl

[7]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 21

whitelighter333 wrote:

Yes, add me to the list. It aint part of my religious beliefs being muslim, nor do I consider it homophobic or immature.

But TV-ly, it's just another drop in the moral bucket when you consider all the non-marraige sexual relations and alcohol use on Charmed, as well as most other shows. So while I wouldn't like it, it wouldn't bother me relatively  much since there's a ton of immorality on my favorite shows anyway.

We live with it to see some great witchy action.

buffyjl

[8]Aug 30, 2006
    maxpower03 wrote:
    So, please could any mods ignore the fact that I didn't block the whole word out as it's not in any way an abusive, derogatory discussion. Thanks.

What's derogatory is how you insinuate not having homosexuality on Charmed is homophobic, racist, and prejudice. Adhering to a religious guidance is not a phobia or prejudice.

In fact, the only prejudice around here is saying people who don't like homosexuality are prejudice and racist. Please tell us you don't mean that, Max.

hobbie234

[9]Aug 30, 2006

First of all, I am not gay

Second of all, how is homosexuality against religion?  It's just a matter of attraction...

HexedToBe

[10]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well, Christianity doesn't allow same-s-e-x.

Anyways, the photographer in "Obsessions"/"House Call" was gay.

Plus in 7x17, those two guys in Phoebe's office are gay

maxpower03

[11]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 42

buffyjl wrote:
    What's derogatory is how you insinuate not having homosexuality on Charmed is homophobic, racist, and prejudice. Adhering to a religious guidance is not a phobia or prejudice.

I never said any of that. I even said that not every show needs a gay character. I was just suggesting that it would have been a little more realistic if there were gay characters (and I don't mean any of the leads or anything). Also, I didn't even bring up religion in my post, so I don't know why you're accusing me of that.

buffyjl wrote:
    In fact, the only prejudice around here is saying people who don't like homosexuality are prejudice and racist. Please tell us you don't mean that, Max.

Personally, I don't believe in religion and, if I were a religous person, I would have thought you would respect all love, not just love between a man and a woman. Love itself is something to be celebrated, whether it be man and woman or man and man or woman and woman or dog and dog, whatever. But I at least understand that religious people are opposed to it. What I hate is when people just oppose it because they think it's gross or something. At least you and others who have said the same thing have some kind of reason for your views. Even if I don't believe in those religious beliefs myself, it wouldn't then give me a reason to attack you or anything.

Anyway, this is getting kinda off-topic.

me_charmed_1

[12]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 17
    I Heard that Jason was gay in real life.. but thats not really in the show so that doesnt count..

charmarama

[13]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 8

Ok all the people who are religiouse I respect that but ohnestly just because someone likes someone with the same genitals doesn't mean we should descriminate.

charmed didn't nececarally need a homosexuall charachter but I definetly wouldn't have stopped watching it if they did put one on. God will let all those into heaven that live a good life even if they're gay It also says in the bible that Abraham or something was asked by god to kill his son even though god stopped him at the last minute that is rediculouse. If you follow simple rules like don't steal don't kill don't commit adultery etc... who ever is the person in charge of the universe will be sure to let you into heaven.

Sorry I just find homophobic people immature. But I am not trying to say you're stupid I'm just saying be a little more open minded I have family friends who are gay and they're normal nice people.

tvfan332

[14]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 37

I can't remember any.

It probably would of been a great storyline because I really liked Willow and Taras relationship in Buffy.

monkeygurl007

[15]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 14
    HexedToBe wrote:

Anyways, the photographer in "Obsessions"/"House Call" was gay.

Plus in 7x17, those two guys in Phoebe's office are gay

I don't remeber him ever saying he was gay in House Call.

buffyjl

[16]Aug 31, 2006
    maxpower03 wrote:

buffyjl wrote:

I never said any of that. I even said that not every show needs a gay character. I was just suggesting that it would have been a little more realistic if there were gay characters (and I don't mean any of the leads or anything). Also, I didn't even bring up religion in my post, so I don't know why you're accusing me of that.

buffyjl wrote:

Personally, I don't believe in religion and, if I were a religous person, I would have thought you would respect all love, not just love between a man and a woman. Love itself is something to be celebrated, whether it be man and woman or man and man or woman and woman or dog and dog, whatever. But I at least understand that religious people are opposed to it. What I hate is when people just oppose it because they think it's gross or something. At least you and others who have said the same thing have some kind of reason for your views. Even if I don't believe in those religious beliefs myself, it wouldn't then give me a reason to attack you or anything.

Anyway, this is getting kinda off-topic.

I agree, if someone doesn't have a reason to prohibit something and they only dislike it cause it's different then that's clearly a prejudice/phobia.

And it's important we establish we're not trying to offend each other, since this is a sensitive subject. Thanks for the clear-up Max.

As for reality, I guess we're watching a fantasy show, so all bets are off. Plus this is a Spelling show, which means it'll hardly ever show a black person or other minority actors; even when it's set in large cosmopolitain cities like L.A. or SanFransisco!

elibrit

[17]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 3
    HexedToBe wrote:

Christianity doesen't allow sex at all, unless it is used to create offspring a.k.a make children...
    But I don't see ANY of the Chirstians acctauly practice that part of the religion. So I don't think is merely fair to call upon religion to justify HOMOPHOBIA.

However, I will agree with max that it is very strange that there almost aren't any gay characters in a show that takes place in San Francisco. It is weird that out of all the people who live in San Francisco they've managed to choose only the straight characters.
    I don't really think it would have been such a big problem if there were more gay characters in the show! Maybe Paige could've been gay Just for the viewers to be able to break their prejudices and stereotypes about gay people.

buffyjl

[18]Aug 31, 2006

elibrit wrote:
    So I don't think is merely fair to call upon religion to justify HOMOPHOBIA.

Sounds like you have your own phobias. Accusing religion of homophobia is very prejudice, dude.

SleepTight

[19]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 36
    I, completely agree Max.

I didn't read anyone's post after yours so I don't know what other people thought of it. I think that the reason was because America, lets face it, has a lot of homophobes. Charmed is a 'family show' (sort of) and I think that the writers were afraid that it would scare away the audiance. Like i've said before, I think they never really took chances.

I read an interview of Alyson Hannigan who said that when the audiance discovered her character was becoming gay that they recieved a lot of hate mail. I also think it did cost Buffy TVS a lot of viewers that were homophobes.
    Edited on 08/31/2006 7:22am

witchforsure

[20]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 2
    I still would have watched the show and loved it if they had put more homosexuals in it. It is not anything to me I do not care who anyone sleeps with. Personnally I do not know any people who are gay or homosexual. Anyway I still would have watched it, I watched Will & Grace till the show ended. I am wiccan and do not judge people on their sexual preference or religious beliefs.