Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

H o m o s e x u a l i t y In the Charmed Universe

NJZ

[21]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 29
    I'm a muslim so I'm against homosexuality but I'm not a homophobe. If anyone is gay its not really my problem/business so I wouldn't care either way. I wouldn't have really minded if there was a gay character in Charmed, but I also didn't mind that there wasn't. I'd have still watched it either way. I didn't stop watching Buffy just because Willow became gay Also, if they did have a main or recurring character that was gay on Charmed, wouldn't the extreme Buffy fans(and maybe Charmed haters) just say that this is another way that Charmed 'copied' Buffy?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyjl

[22]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 20

NJZ wrote:
    Also, if they did have a main or recurring character that was gay on Charmed, wouldn't the extreme Buffy fans(and maybe Charmed haters) just say that this is another way that Charmed 'copied' Buffy?

Heh, you're right it woulda felt way copied . On a story level being gay on Buffy wasn't that big a deal, but it's how Willow and Tara's characters were written that suffered. While going through a change and questioning one's morals is a big part of real life, storyly it became boring on Willow. Tara was handled better, but the problem was the writers kept her limited as Willow's sidekick.

I can remember only 1 scene where Tara had a significant non-Willow scene with another Scooby: in S6 when Buffy confessed to her about her affair with Spike.
    Tara really needed more scenes on-screen with other people to grow her as her own person.

SleepTight

[23]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 36
    NJZ wrote:
    I'm a muslim so I'm against homosexuality but I'm not a homophobe. If anyone is gay its not really my problem/business so I wouldn't care either way. I wouldn't have really minded if there was a gay character in Charmed, but I also didn't mind that there wasn't. I'd have still watched it either way. I didn't stop watching Buffy just because Willow became gay Also, if they did have a main or recurring character that was gay on Charmed, wouldn't the extreme Buffy fans(and maybe Charmed haters) just say that this is another way that Charmed 'copied' Buffy?

I wouldn't. Sure, everyone would go 'Buffy did it first' mostly because the WIllow/Tara kiss in 'The Body' was the first lesbian kiss on primetime tv. but if Charmed had a gay character would say that maybe the writers weren't chickens after all?

maxpower03

[24]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 42

SleepTight wrote:
    I read an interview of Alyson Hannigan who said that when the audiance discovered her character was becoming gay that they recieved a lot of hate mail. I also think it did cost Buffy TVS a lot of viewers that were homophobes.

That's completely true. Apparently the official Buffy posting board was bombarded by homophobic rants when Willow chose Tara over Oz in New Moon Rising, one saying something along the lines of "I'm never watching this show again since you made Willow a lez". I think it's completely pathetic that people actually turned off the show after a character came out, as if one character's sexuality makes you want to abandon one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

buffyjl wrote:
    And it's important we establish we're not trying to offend each other, since this is a sensitive subject. Thanks for the clear-up Max.

No problem

buffyjl wrote:
    On a story level being gay on Buffy wasn't that big a deal, but it's how Willow and Tara's characters were written that suffered. While going through a change and questioning one's morals is a big part of real life, storyly it became boring on Willow. Tara was handled better, but the problem was the writers kept her limited as Willow's sidekick. I can remember only 1 scene where Tara had a significant non-Willow scene with another Scooby: in S6 when Buffy confessed to her about her affair with Spike. Tara really needed more scenes on-screen with other people to grow her as her own person.

I don't think Willow suffered as a result (the complete opposite, in my opinion) but I do agree that Tara was never evolved on that much. She was one of the few characters that had a lot of potential, but the writers deemed it more important to thrust Spike to center stage whilst Tara just hung around in the background. She was definitely shown to have potential, especially in the episode Family and the one you mentioned, Dead Things, but it just never happened.

elibrit wrote:
    I don't really think it would have been such a big problem if there were more gay characters in the show! Maybe Paige could've been gay Just for the viewers to be able to break their prejudices and stereotypes about gay people.

I've always wondered that maybe they should have made Paige gay Out of the three leads, she appears to be the only one who would ever experiment with her sexuality. Piper's a little too conservative, whilst Phoebe's all about the man-hunger, so I guess Paige would be the most likely choice. But, as it's an Aaron Spelling show, something like that would have never happened in a million years. He'd probably rise from the grave if one of the leads on 7th Heaven came out of the closet next season...

ladycatherine

[25]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 14
    hobbie234 wrote:

First of all, I am not gay

Second of all, how is homosexuality against religion?  It's just a matter of attraction...

Ask a very religous person and they will tell you it is against gods law for any one of the same sex to "lay" with each other. Not me, I think if you want to marry a duck that's up to you. I did not know that photographer was gay in House calls. Man I miss everything.

boat27

[26]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 7

There is nothing in God's 10 commandments (Exodus 20:3-17) or Jesus’ 2 (Mark 12:29-30) that state there is anything wrong with homosexuality. It is the rules of your religions that make it wrong and they are not the Words of God.

Now for the show, I think it would have been good to have represented a large section of the American people in the show. To bad they can correct it now.

For the record I have nothing against anyone who follows their own beliefs

Edited on 08/31/2006 5:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

samhalliwell

[27]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 6
    I am christian (protestant), raised by the same rules that (I'm sure) any other christian is raised as well, but I, unlike everybody else I know, have absolutely nothing against any type of the so-called "alternative life-styles".

I do think that in most religious beliefs, homosexuality is (wrongly) seen as one of the worst things in the world, and I agree with the user who said that many people (homophobes or not) DO use their religion's laws to back themselves up when they say that being a homosexual is some kind of weird anomaly, or just plain wrong.

Nacha255

[28]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 12
    hobbie234 wrote:

Second of all, how is homosexuality against religion?  It's just a matter of attraction...

Certain religions do prohibit you from being homosexual. Just like in some religions you can't eat certain foods, or you have to dress a certain way. It's the same thing.

Nacha255

[29]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 12
    I can't really see any of the Charmed Ones as being homosexual for life. I can picture that Paige might have been at some point during her rebellious teenage years, though. An interesting plot would have been to have an ex-lover of Paige's come back and be angry at her for leaving her and stopping being homosexual, and start stalking her or something. But I don't know...I still stand by what I said. It just wouldn't seem very Charmed-ish.

ChaseCameron

[30]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 10
    Nacha255 wrote:
    hobbie234 wrote:

Certain religions do prohibit you from being homosexual. Just like in some religions you can't eat certain foods, or you have to dress a certain way. It's the same thing.

Only problem with that is you can't just not be gay if you are. People are born that way, you can hide it but not change it.

I would've liked having a gay character on the show. I almost pissed myself laughing in 7x17 with the 2 gay guys. I loved Willow and Tara in Buffy, but having Paige be a lesbian would've been alittle strange. I think that it's that the writers didn't want to start a controversy. Same reason there were no Christmas episodes. The church would've had a fit over the witches celebrating a Christian holiday. It's all very stupid IMO and I don't understand why people are against homosexuality. It's not hurting anyone so why say it's bad? If the gays were attacking and beating the straight people then maybe you can have a problem with it, but it's the other way around so if anything have a problem with the straight people. Open your minds.

BTW, I'm gay

KASsmiley42

[31]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    ChaseCameron wrote:
    Nacha255 wrote:
    hobbie234 wrote:

Second of all, how is homosexuality against religion? It's just a matter of attraction...

Only problem with that is you can't just not be gay if you are. People are born that way, you can hide it but not change it.

I would've liked having a gay character on the show. I almost pissed myself laughing in 7x17 with the 2 gay guys. I loved Willow and Tara in Buffy, but having Paige be a lesbian would've been alittle strange. I think that it's that the writers didn't want to start a controversy. Same reason there were no Christmas episodes. The church would've had a fit over the witches celebrating a Christian holiday. It's all very stupid IMO and I don't understand why people are against homosexuality. It's not hurting anyone so why say it's bad? If the gays were attacking and beating the straight people then maybe you can have a problem with it, but it's the other way around so if anything have a problem with the straight people. Open your minds.

BTW, I'm gay

Well, if you're comfortable being who you are, then I'm comfortable. Our entire history shows we can't handle change, we didn't treat Native Americans with respect, nor did we treat African Americans with respect, those we have come to accept and befriend, I can only hope that sometime in the near future we can come to accept homosexuals as well. I don't think theres anything wrong with it, it's not hurting me, and those who are seem to be happy. As for a character on Charmed- I wouldn't mind at all, and yes, funny how Paige seems the most likely character to be or to have been a lesbian. I think it would've opened up so many sub-plots or secondary storylines. But, we'll never know what its like to have had a homosexual character on Charmed, because the show is finished. I must say, good topic, Max.

monkeygurl007

[32]Sep 1, 2006
    Nacha255 wrote:
    I can't really see any of the Charmed Ones as being homosexual for life. I can picture that Paige might have been at some point during her rebellious teenage years, though. An interesting plot would have been to have an ex-lover of Paige's come back and be angry at her for leaving her and stopping being homosexual, and start stalking her or something. But I don't know...I still stand by what I said. It just wouldn't seem very Charmed-ish.
    I would'nt think a storyline with one of the girls being a lesbein but like one of the girls friends. If it was one of the girls friends and they only metioned a couple times then I doubt it would be a huge problem. But one of the girls it would lose ratings.
    Edited on 09/01/2006 4:41am

me_charmed_1

[33]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 17

Rose did used to hang out in gay bars, but that was only becuase she felt accepted there.

monkeygurl007

[34]Sep 1, 2006
    me_charmed_1 wrote:

Rose did used to hang out in gay bars, but that was only becuase she felt accepted there.

That was quite interesting when I read that.

whitelighter333

[35]Sep 1, 2006

[QUOTE="ChaseCameron"][QUOTE="Nacha255"][QUOTE="hobbie234"]Only problem with that is you can't just not be gay if you are. People are born that way, you can hide it but not change it

actually that is not true you can not be born gay God plans ahead for everything to happen to you before you are even born so i am sure he would not want any of his children to be gay remember the very first woman and man, adam and eve, that is the way he meant marriage to be God created adam and eve not adam and steve

becky_halliwell

[36]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 09/01/2006 6:42am

becky_halliwell

[37]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    whitelighter333 wrote:

actually that is not true you can not be born gay God plans ahead for everything to happen to you before you are even born so i am sure he would not want any of his children to be gay remember the very first woman and man, adam and eve, that is the way he meant marriage to be God created adam and eve not adam and steve

its ok for you to have different beliefs to other people, but it sounds like your trying to preach to the other people on this board by disregarding their beliefs.  if someone happens to believe that you cannot change your sexual orientation, then they should be free to do so without other people telling them that it isnt true.  it is their own belief and no one can tell them that its wrong, just like no one can tell you your opinions and beliefs are wrong. 

also, if someone doesnt believe in god then telling them that god created adam and eve not adam and steve is going to be completely lost on them isnt it, cos they wont actually care bout what the bible says really will they?

Edited on 09/01/2006 6:48am

NJZ

[38]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 29
    SleepTight wrote:
    NJZ wrote:
    Also, if they did have a main or recurring character that was gay on Charmed, wouldn't the extreme Buffy fans(and maybe Charmed haters) just say that this is another way that Charmed 'copied' Buffy?

I wouldn't. Sure, everyone would go 'Buffy did it first' mostly because the WIllow/Tara kiss in 'The Body' was the first lesbian kiss on primetime tv. but if Charmed had a gay character would say that maybe the writers weren't chickens after all?

I think the whole 'Buffy did it first' would outweigh the 'Charmed took a risk' thing.

maxpower03

[39]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 42

whitelighter333 wrote:

ChaseCameron wrote:
    Only problem with that is you can't just not be gay if you are. People are born that way, you can hide it but not change it

Firstly, the user you're responding to is gay so you can't really say that he wasn't born gay when he says he was, as you're not him. Secondly, straight people don't just decide to be straight, it's something that just seems natural so you go along with it. According to most gay people, like straight people, they too don't just wake up one day and decide to be gay it's something that's in them. I have gay relatives and gay friends and they all say that they've always known they were gay on some subconscious level.

Thirdly, the thing about god planning out everything that happens to you doesn't really make sense. No offense, but if he's such a good guy, why would he plan out lives involving little kids killed by their parents, or people being raped, or abused, or assaulted, or going through pain, or illness, or depression, or suicide, or abandonment, or homelessness. Remember, this is all my opinion though and, thinking about it, I don't really wanna get into a debate about it, since that isn't the main point of the topic.

I respect your beliefs and I imagine you would be annoyed if somebody attacked them. Think about that before saying outright that somebody else's beliefs are wrong, since your source of information isn't proven fact, just as the user you're responding to hasn't had his beliefs actually confirmed as fact. For all you know, god may not exist at all, same with the possibility that the original user's beliefs could be completely false and in fact gay people do choose their sexuality. I agree with what ChaseCameron said and I don't believe in yours, but I'm not gonna say that your beliefs are incorrect, as there's no actual proof that they are or aren't.

whitelighter333

[40]Sep 1, 2006

I am sorry but you have got to understand that i just can't help but say stuff like that it is just my nature to speak my mind and not really think about the repercussions of what i am saying, like i said i am so sorry however i still have to say that i cannot agree with chasecameron on his "alternative lifestyle" but i am sorry chase i really am