Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

H o m o s e x u a l i t y In the Charmed Universe

pheebs009

[81]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    For a long time it seemed to me that Phoebe would have to eventually realize that the reason none of her relationships worked out was because they were lacking an X chromosome. Her self-realization would have fit very nicely into the the plot which revolved around their relationships in general as much (if not more) than it did around demon hunting.

Coop would still be an acceptable sperm donor for the magical children.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TC_88

[82]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 7
    lol
    NJZ wrote:

I think Max is right; Charmed never hid the notions of sexuality. Especially when it came to Phoebe.

Once a conversation between her and her sisters went something like this:

(At the breakfast table in the kitchen)

Piper: Eggs?

Phoebe: I've got the eggs, its just the sperm that I need

Paige: Eww

scared? no way

Thats exactly what i'm talking about, the "eww" Paige said. It always like in all cases they always have to make it seem like anything to do with sex is just disgusting.

Piper: we not talking about sex are we?
    Paige: NO! (with a very disgusted look on her face) we're not talking about sex

Piper:...and since Dex rhymes with sex...
    Phoebe: GOD! (with impressions like she was gonna throw up and Paige rolls her eyes)

Its almost like its forbidden. So if they feel that way about sex wld they really be very receptive of gays.
    well i already got 5 ppl against me, so i'm just gonna back away very carefully.

TC_88

[83]Sep 22, 2006
    pheebs009 wrote:
    For a long time it seemed to me that Phoebe would have to eventually realize that the reason none of her relationships worked out was because they were lacking an X chromosome. Her self-realization would have fit very nicely into the the plot which revolved around their relationships in general as much (if not more) than it did around demon hunting.

Coop would still be an acceptable sperm donor for the magical children.
    huh?

pheebs009

[84]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    Too long of a sentence for you, TC? Sorry. I'll simplify. I think Phoebe's final relationship - the one that FINALLY worked out - could have easily been with another woman. It could have dawned on her that she was a lesbian. That would explain all the previous failures with men. She was destined to be with a woman.

It would have flowed with the story line just fine, and been a better representation of the reality of SanFran.

TC_88

[85]Sep 23, 2006
    pheebs009 wrote:
    Too long of a sentence for you, TC? Sorry. I'll simplify. I think Phoebe's final relationship - the one that FINALLY worked out - could have easily been with another woman. It could have dawned on her that she was a lesbian. That would explain all the previous failures with men. She was destined to be with a woman.

It would have flowed with the story line just fine, and been a better representation of the reality of SanFran.
    still huh?

everyone has X chromosomes. what you shld have said is that she didnt realize they didnt have an extra or that they had a Y chromomose. i mean if u gonna be talking science yu might as well talk right.

And second of all, the reason her realationships didnt work out was not because of chromatid structures. it was either because she was lying or that the guy cldnt stand the idea of magic or that they guy was the source of everything evil. i mean duh!
    There's absolutely no saying that if she dated a chick she wldnt feel the same way.
    Besides most ppl hate being in a relationship filled with lies and excuses. and i know u aint just hitting a new self 'realization' of ur own.

And while we're on the subject..., the sentence did seem long.

buffyjl

[86]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 20
    TC_88 wrote:
    lol
    NJZ wrote:

I think Max is right; Charmed never hid the notions of sexuality. Especially when it came to Phoebe.

scared? no way

Thats exactly what i'm talking about, the "eww" Paige said. It always like in all cases they always have to make it seem like anything to do with sex is just disgusting.

That's because it is disgusting.

...at the BREAKFAST Table!!!

buffyjl

[87]Sep 23, 2006

TC_88 wrote:
    And while we're on the subject..., the sentence did seem long.

Absolutely TeeHee-ous!!

NJZ

[88]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 29
    TC_88 wrote:
    lol
    NJZ wrote:

scared? no way

Piper: we not talking about sex are we?
    Paige: NO! (with a very disgusted look on her face) we're not talking about sex

Piper:...and since Dex rhymes with sex...
    Phoebe: GOD! (with impressions like she was gonna throw up and Paige rolls her eyes)

Its almost like its forbidden. So if they feel that way about sex wld they really be very receptive of gays.
    well i already got 5 ppl against me, so i'm just gonna back away very carefully.

The sisters weren't 'scared'of sex. Why the hell would they do it so much times? Its because they were talking to their sisters about sex. I assume thats awkward enough as it is without the lame jokes. The writers weren't ever afraid of adding sex to the show, its just that they didn't make the sisters talk about it all the time. I don't know if you have siblings, but wouldn't you find it awkward talking to them about that? Also in 'She's a Man, Baby, A Man', Phoebe says to Piper that she's thinking about sex all the time, and Piper gives a weird 'i don't want to know' look simply because she doesn't want to know about her sister's sex life.

JenMil

[89]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 15
    NJZ wrote:
    TC_88 wrote:
    lol
    NJZ wrote:

scared? no way

Thats exactly what i'm talking about, the "eww" Paige said. It always like in all cases they always have to make it seem like anything to do with sex is just disgusting. Piper: we not talking about sex are we? Paige: NO! (with a very disgusted look on her face) we're not talking about sex Piper:...and since Dex rhymes with sex... Phoebe: GOD! (with impressions like she was gonna throw up and Paige rolls her eyes) Its almost like its forbidden. So if they feel that way about sex wld they really be very receptive of gays. well i already got 5 ppl against me, so i'm just gonna back away very carefully.
    The sisters weren't 'scared'of sex. Why the hell would they do it so much times? Its because they were talking to their sisters about sex. I assume thats awkward enough as it is without the lame jokes. The writers weren't ever afraid of adding sex to the show, its just that they didn't make the sisters talk about it all the time. I don't know if you have siblings, but wouldn't you find it awkward talking to them about that? Also in 'She's a Man, Baby, A Man', Phoebe says to Piper that she's thinking about sex all the time, and Piper gives a weird 'i don't want to know' look simply because she doesn't want to know about her sister's sex life.

Yeah, seriously.  I'm not ashamed or scared of sex, but I certainly don't want to discuss it with my sister or sister-in-law.  Yuck.

Ms1fan

[90]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 8

Thre have been quite a number of instances of gay characters mentioned by the people participating in this forum. In S1 "The fourth sister", Piper implies to Leo that Phoebe and Ava are more than friends, another gay reference in the show. I bet if we keep backtraking the episodes we will find more instances of gay parts in the show. So it is not that they didn't have gay characters, it's just that they decided to be sublte about including them. It works fine by me, I mean if you wanted to see a show that includes gay characters in it you can always tune to Will & Grace, The L word, or any other show that you know has that gay character you like to watch.

TC_88

[91]Sep 24, 2006
    Yall stop picking on me!
    I didnt say it. i just said i sortta agreed with what the original poster said. lol. And hey i got a sister & i dont ever talk to her about sex. hell she tells me she's got a bf and i'm gonna whoop some ass. And i dont mean hers (nor mine ) I'd probably feel differently if i had a brother tho.

In conclusion of today's service, thou shall not talketh about sex around food amongst thy simblings or the wrath of all things disgusting shall befall thee. :angel:

But seriously, jokes apart, these girls are close. As long as its not explicit stuff (because i gotta agree that Paige's lines in Witches in tights was a little too much), they shldnt feel nervous when they're talking about it. I'm just saying. But i'd drop it now. I will!
    Ms1fan wrote:

Thre have been quite a number of instances of gay characters mentioned by the people participating in this forum. In S1 "The fourth sister", Piper implies to Leo that Phoebe and Ava are more than friends, another gay reference in the show. I bet if we keep backtraking the episodes we will find more instances of gay parts in the show.

U seeked, i found! Another instance: in Necromancing the Stone, when Paige was trying to convience Phoebe that all men are evil, lol, she told Phoebe that Eric might be gay

zhangliao1

[92]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 6
    well they talked about the 5 minute orgasm book

NJZ

[93]Sep 25, 2006
    zhangliao1 wrote:

oh yeah, i forgot about that one. The first time I saw that it was so embarrasing because my parents were in the room. I cringed.

buffyjl

[94]Sep 25, 2006

NJZ wrote:
    zhangliao1 wrote:
    oh yeah, i forgot about that one. The first time I saw that it was so embarrasing because my parents were in the room. I cringed.

That's bad. As much as I love Charmed it was definitely NOT family viewing.

NJZ

[95]Sep 25, 2006
    buffyjl wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    zhangliao1 wrote:

I know. It so isn't. But at that time we only had one tv in the house. And my parents were in that same room drinking tea and they just started watching it too. Everytime they walk in a room and I am watching Charmed, they say something like 'Oh she's watching those witches again'. It annoys the hell out of me because in my language(Urdu) and my religion(Islam), the word 'witch' has negative connotations and witches are seen as evil. I keep telling my parents that they aren't evil in the show but they won't believe me.

buffyjl

[96]Sep 25, 2006
    NJZ wrote:
    buffyjl wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    zhangliao1 wrote:

I keep telling my parents that they aren't evil in the show but they won't believe me.

Might have something to do with all the sex talk, gratuitous body-ink, and Phoebe wearing almost nothing!

maxpower03

[97]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 42

Seriously, I'm insanely liberal but even I thought the 5-minute orgasm thing was way too adult for 8pm. And, it got me thinking, Phoebe's guest hosting of a talk show just had to be a day where they're discussing orgasms! Man, sometimes this show was just ridiculously bad.

TC_88

[98]Sep 25, 2006
    NJZ wrote:
    buffyjl wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    zhangliao1 wrote:

I know. It so isn't. But at that time we only had one tv in the house. And my parents were in that same room drinking tea and they just started watching it too. Everytime they walk in a room and I am watching Charmed, they say something like 'Oh she's watching those witches again'. It annoys the hell out of me because in my language(Urdu) and my religion(Islam), the word 'witch' has negative connotations and witches are seen as evil. I keep telling my parents that they aren't evil in the show but they won't believe me.
    But there are no such things as witches in Islam. Right? Its just some fictitous superstitous being. Or are u talking about your traditional culture and not the religion itself?

Anyway, on Livingtv, they entirely just skiped directly to the part where Piper is about to get sucked into the hole of nothingness.
    I naturally absolute HATE it (and i hardly use that word)when my TV shows (obviously Friends and Charmed) are edited for any reason whatsoever; but i didnt mind the 5 minutes orgasm being edited out as much.
    So much for the writers are afraid of sex

buffyjl

[99]Sep 26, 2006

TC_88 wrote:
    But there are no such things as witches in Islam. Right?

They are mentioned, but it could be a general term for evil satan worshippers.

SleepTight

[100]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 36
    *reads a couple of pages back*

This is the most frightening thing I have ever said, but I believe I agree with what TC_88 said *shivers*. About Charmed being a little bit afraid of sex, not in the way of using it but in the way of putting sex as something positive. they usually try to make sex seem like it’s a bad thing, you seen how many demons used sex to kill or get what they wanted? Ofcourse, the later seasons used a lot of sex (*cough*Phoebe*cough*), but I don’t think it ever put sex in a positive light, except for Piper becoming a mother.
    Edited on 09/26/2006 6:33am