Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

H o m o s e x u a l i t y In the Charmed Universe

  • Avatar of silverfoxy8472

    silverfoxy8472

    [121]Mar 31, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 259

    ok i think that this show should have had more gay and other minorities and now i will tell you why

    1) first of i feel the show was toooo christianized with the whole up there (heaven/elders) and down there (underworld/hell/demons) showing the contrast between demons and angels just soooo stark no this was way toooooo diacotomous.

    2) now this is where some ppl are not going to like me i am pagan/wiccan and think this show did ALOT toward the acceptance of pagans and wiccans and magick in general i BELIEVE in magick demons angels ( not the christian one necessarily) exist and the quest for acceptance by those shouldn't be impeded just because ppl see it as wrong or aginst their higher power

    3) yes i think it was both homophobic and immature to make sure that this was set in san francisco and not include gays and other minorities not to mention TRANSSEXUALS explanation will follow

    4) now maybe you wonder why i say these things. it is simple i myself am a mtf transsexual(yes very out ) and in my own way i fight for the rights of everyone to be different

    5) i mean the show is about love,acceptance and making life better.

    6) homophobia is both stupid and immature in this day and age looking for ppl to conform is well idiotic

    sincerely,

    silverfoxy8472

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [123]Mar 31, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    ok i think that this show should have had more gay and other minorities and now i will tell you why

    1) first of i feel the show was toooo christianized with the whole up there (heaven/elders) and down there (underworld/hell/demons) showing the contrast between demons and angels just soooo stark no this was way toooooo diacotomous.

    2) now this is where some ppl are not going to like me i am pagan/wiccan and think this show did ALOT toward the acceptance of pagans and wiccans and magick in general i BELIEVE in magick demons angels ( not the christian one necessarily) exist and the quest for acceptance by those shouldn't be impeded just because ppl see it as wrong or aginst their higher power

    3) yes i think it was both homophobic and immature to make sure that this was set in san francisco and not include gays and other minorities not to mention TRANSSEXUALS explanation will follow

    4) now maybe you wonder why i say these things. it is simple i myself am a mtf transsexual(yes very out ) and in my own way i fight for the rights of everyone to be different

    5) i mean the show is about love,acceptance and making life better.

    6) homophobia is both stupid and immature in this day and age looking for ppl to conform is well idiotic

    sincerely,

    silverfoxy8472

    I kinda agree with the general gist of what you're saying but I don't agree fully.

    1. Yes, the show was very dichotomous at points but I don't think it was too Christian-ized. Never did any of the sisters, nor any of the main characters, have any sort of strong religion/faith that I recall at the moment. You could say they were Christians because they went to church on occasion and whatnot, but neither of the characters ever showed any strong affinity towards Christianity. However, I do agree about the stark contrasts between Elder-land and the Underworld and how they were meant to represent Heaven and Hell. I do think, though, that's more to do with Charmed not really exploring the grey area rather than anything else. Apart from characters like Cole & Drake (and maybe a few others), Charmed was very black & white.

    2. I agree with you here.

    3. I don't think it was homophobic or immature to not have any homosexuals within the show (that were main or recurring characters). I think,a show like Charmed, though it is set in San Francisco, doesn't need that. You have to remember that Charmed was primarily aimed at younger people. It was almost always very light and fluffy (besides a few exceptions) so I don't see how having a gay character would've furthered the show in any way. Take Buffy The Vampire Slayer for example, have you ever seen it? BtVS had a main character turn out to be a homosexual. And it worked because Buffy was the kind of show that could pull it off. If you've ever seen Buffy, you'd know it has many layers and, because of that, a character coming out like that just worked. And it helped the storyline plus the character interactions. It was great development for the character. If that had happened on Charmed, it just would not work. There was no necessity for it. Now, I'm not saying it was a necessity on Buffy. I'm just saying some shows can do it, other's can't. Plus, It's not like there weren't any gay characters at all on Charmed.

    4. And so you should

    5. Hmm, I dunno. I do totally understand what you're trying to say here. But again, I don't think it was a necessity for Charmed to have had to have gay characters and show others accepting that (or trying to). There would be no place for it on Charmed.

    6.I concur.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BrushiePenguins

    BrushiePenguins

    [124]Mar 31, 2008
    • member since: 02/05/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 31
    Ok, so I'm a Christian and all, but I'm totally and 100% OK with homosexuality. I myself am straight, but I believe that love is love, whether its heterosexual or homosexual. That being said, I don't think it was really necessary for Charmed to have more homosexual characters. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded, but that's just it. The people who support homosexuality most likely wouldn't have cared either way, while homophobes most likely would have flipped out or stopped watching because of it. Besides, as NJZ said, Charmed probably wouldn't have really been able to pull off something like a main character becoming gay After all, it was never that deep a show, and I'm honestly kind of afraid about how it would have been handled.

    Well anyway, as far as guest characters go, I think it's nice that they had at least a couple of gay characters on the show, to at least acknowledge that the show wasn't completely homophobic. However, I don't really think it was necessary to the quality of Charmed to have more gay characters.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of astralguy87

    astralguy87

    [125]Mar 31, 2008
    • member since: 02/21/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 87
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:
    ok i think that this show should have had more gay and other minorities and now i will tell you why

    1) first of i feel the show was toooo christianized with the whole up there (heaven/elders) and down there (underworld/hell/demons) showing the contrast between demons and angels just soooo stark no this was way toooooo diacotomous.


    Although I'm Catholic, I agree the show was too christianized. The episode where the sisters go to heaven/Elderland (Blinded by the Whitelighter) really killed a bit of the show for me. I like a bit more of mystery in the show rather than just in your face cliche portrayals of heaven/hell; though I must admit I was excited when they showed the Source in All Hell Breaks Loose.

    As for minorities, you're right, I feel they didn't have too many! Though remember, Piper had a romantic crush on the ghost Chinese/Asian dude who was portrayed very positively on the show (as opposed to Dantalian in season 3, but she got what she deserved ) and so many others like Darryl, the psychokinetic kid, and many other guest stars.

    As far as the gay thing goes, thank God Brad Kern forgot about gays and San Francisco because we might have had a Season 5 episode titled Witch Pride or Rainbow Witches with a stereotypical hairdresser gay warlock and a random unicorn or two...j/k

    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    3) yes i think it was both homophobic and immature to make sure that this was set in san francisco and not include gays and other minorities not to mention TRANSSEXUALS explanation will follow.



    If anything, the episode She's a Man Baby, a Man! (where Prue turns into a man) might have been a nod to transexuals, even if it was partially done for comedic purposes her sisters accept Prue as a man after they get over their initial giggles (well they knew the spell was going to be over, but still). Then again I might be giving them more credit than they deserve, knowing who's behind the show.

    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    4) now maybe you wonder why i say these things. it is simple i myself am a mtf transsexual(yes very out ) and in my own way i fight for the rights of everyone to be different



    Thanks for being brave and sharing that! I've met a lot of other gay people (kind of in between myself), but not too many (if at all) transexuals/transgender folk.


    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    5) i mean the show is about love,acceptance and making life better.


    While I agree with this in general, for the most part Charmed is about butt kicking fun with dark/mystery supernatural overtones (I think of episodes like Blind Sided where we have both the supernatural element and the kidnapping crime). I agree with your point, but I don't think it's a show to get too offended or worked up over since it's more about entertainment than deep spiritual or social commentary.

    Take Care,

    Astralguy

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JoshSutton

    JoshSutton

    [126]Apr 1, 2008
    • member since: 09/18/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,155

    This has been quite an interesting read.. well of what i did read. I really don't know where i stand.

    Not on the homosexual issue cos im definitely not narrow minded or anything. Whats the point? Its unfair.

    But i mean about the gay issue being a part of Charmed, i vaguely remember somethings like that guy who talked to Phoebe about a guy using his cup in the office? and she was like maybe he likes you.. or something. like i said vague.

    It's really hard to say.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [127]Apr 1, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    BrushiePenguins wrote:
    Ok, so I'm a Christian and all, but I'm totally and 100% OK with homosexuality. I myself am straight, but I believe that love is love, whether its heterosexual or homosexual. That being said, I don't think it was really necessary for Charmed to have more homosexual characters. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded, but that's just it. The people who support homosexuality most likely wouldn't have cared either way, while homophobes most likely would have flipped out or stopped watching because of it. Besides, as NJZ said, Charmed probably wouldn't have really been able to pull off something like a main character becoming gay After all, it was never that deep a show, and I'm honestly kind of afraid about how it would have been handled.


    I agree. And that was pretty much what I was trying to say; you just said it better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of silverfoxy8472

    silverfoxy8472

    [128]Apr 3, 2008
    • member since: 01/18/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 259

    with due respect Astralguy she a man baby!!! portrayed a ftm the more accepted of the two types of tses and i know being a mtf myself and struggling with society about it myself but over all yeah to me everything else still stands and for everyone else when i say christianized it is not to pick on christanity but because christanity is most famous for the diachomoty pf heaven and hell.

    sincerely,

    Silverfoxy8472

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of astralguy87

    astralguy87

    [129]Apr 3, 2008
    • member since: 02/21/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 87
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

    with due respect Astralguy she a man baby!!! portrayed a ftm the more accepted of the two types of tses and i know being a mtf myself and struggling with society about it myself but over all yeah to me everything else still stands and for everyone else when i say christianized it is not to pick on christanity but because christanity is most famous for the diachomoty pf heaven and hell.

    sincerely,

    Silverfoxy8472

    I see your point...but then again Charmed isn't meant to be this deep social political show. I was just watching Battle of the Hexes and it seemed pretty racist. They assumed that most black and/or inner city kids use words like "dawg" and lead criminal lives. So even if they had glbt people they probably would be just as stereotypical.

    It was a let down to be honest, but there are still many other shows that are promoting awareness and respect and I'm sorry to say, that as entertaining as it is, Charmed may not be one of them.

    Anyway, I support you in your struggle, but sometimes we just kinda have to take Charmed for what it is (ie. fun), especially now that it's over.

    -astralguy

    Edited on 04/03/2008 1:37pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [130]Apr 5, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    astralguy87 wrote:
    Anyway, I support you in your struggle, but sometimes we just kinda have to take Charmed for what it is (ie. fun), especially now that it's over.


    I agree. Charmed is not one of those shows you watch for any deep or profound meaning. It is, at face value, a fun and entertaining show. It doesn't have many layers and nor should you expect it to. There are plenty of other shows out there that deal with issues that Charmed never did.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vanlord_52

    vanlord_52

    [131]Apr 5, 2008
    • member since: 06/17/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 256

    Why do you feel that they needed to add gays to the show?

    A lot of shows that had gay characters were less watched, because some people are prejudice against them.

    I'm not saying that I am prejudice against gays, I'm just stating the above as a fact.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DreamyDream

    DreamyDream

    [132]Apr 5, 2008
    • member since: 08/13/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 98
    I mean, yeah, it is a controversial topic, just like interracial relationships, which Charmed hadn't had too much of. However, it did have Darryl and his wife HANGING OUT with the girls, which was amazing to see. White and black families coping with each other in a realm of magic and nothing too realistically serious.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Princess_Pinky

    Princess_Pinky

    [133]Apr 12, 2008
    • member since: 09/28/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,073

    I think that there were actually two mentions, but they wre both brief and unmemorable.

    But you are 110% correct, seeing as how the city was set in the Gay Capital of the World, they SHOULD have had gay characters! I think this all has to do with trying to "not offend" anyone. i.e. No gay characters, no witches celebrating Christmas (despite that they could've had a Yule episode), etc, etc, etc... I find it awful when you to limit yourself so as to not offend someone with "real life."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MrMoeMoney

    MrMoeMoney

    [134]Apr 12, 2008
    • member since: 04/13/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    I always thought LEO was gay that why he couldn't make up his mind.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [135]Apr 13, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    MrMoeMoney wrote:
    I always thought LEO was gay that why he couldn't make up his mind.


    Couldn't make up his mind about what?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of th77

    th77

    [136]Apr 13, 2008
    • member since: 10/18/07
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,621
    I'm not positive but I'd guess they meant he couldn't make up his mind about being "up there" or with Piper.. I think that is what they meant
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [137]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    th77 wrote:
    I'm not positive but I'd guess they meant he couldn't make up his mind about being "up there" or with Piper.. I think that is what they meant


    Thanks for trying to apply some sense to it but I don't think it has any. I mean, since when does indecisiveness=homosexual?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Charmedmom1984

    Charmedmom1984

    [138]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 04/15/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    There were also the staff members from the paper in S7 episode "Scry Hard". It was the fashion editor and the film critic.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DJOrange

    DJOrange

    [139]Apr 18, 2008
    • member since: 11/08/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 513
    buffyjl wrote:

    whitelighter333 wrote:
    Sure i guess it would have been ok i personally do not agree with the whole gay thing due to my religion and personal beliefs so do not think i am being immature because that is the just the way i was raised, a baptist

    Yes, add me to the list. It aint part of my religious beliefs being muslim, nor do I consider it homophobic or immature.

    But TV-ly, it's just another drop in the moral bucket when you consider all the non-marraige sexual relations and alcohol use on Charmed, as well as most other shows. So while I wouldn't like it, it wouldn't bother me relatively much since there's a ton of immorality on my favorite shows anyway.

    We live with it to see some great witchy action.

    What a great view! Thanks!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lexine

    Lexine

    [140]Aug 27, 2013
    • member since: 08/27/13
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    Hey.
    First of all, I totally agree with you.
    There should have been more gay characters.
    and secondly, I did not like how homosexuality was portrayed in the series.
    Specially when Piper told Leo that Phoebe was "supposedly" a lesbian.
    And yeah, concerning Brenda and Carly.
    Brenda was also among the few innocent people the charmed ones failed to save.
    She died.
    How ironical is that!
    Anyway...
    I still like the show, but I also thought that it was a bit racist too.
    I don't remember seeing mixed couples.
    Not only there was only one lesbian couple, that ended up tragically, but I don't remember black and white couples...
    It was always either black/black or white/white.
    But this is just me, and my opinion.
    I may be wrong.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.