Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Joss Whedon's beef with Charmed (For the record I love Buffy/Angel)

TCharmed77

[1]May 25, 2009
    • level: 6

Charmed was my first love and I was very hesitant to come to Buffy and Angel, simply because of Joss Whedon. I am glad I got past that though because both shows are amazing. However, Charmed will still always be my # 1 fav genre show of all time. With Buffy and Angel coming behind them in that order. I own both box sets and am currently watching Buffy/Angel with friends I introduced those shows to.

I wanted to get that out of the way because I don't want anyone thinking I am bashing those shows. However, I really am becoming more annoyed with Joss Whedon's comments on Charmed. He is constantly ragging the show. The latest is in Spike After The Fall, when someone says they are "airing that awful show about sister witches" I quit buying Spike After The Fall because that really irritated me. Joss is a genius and it almost to me seems ( to me) as if he is really insecure or immature because he always has something ugly to say. There are several commentaries on Buffy that Joss disses Charmed. He had Willow say OH....MY....GODDESS in the series finale because he heard the title to Charmed's 5th Season Finale. I do like that line, but he didn't put it in there because he liked the show.

I would love to point out (to him) that he did not create the "WOMEN KICKING ASS" genre. I will credit him with bringing it back! If you wanna know who started that then check out Police Woman which was produced by Aaron Spelling in the 60's! Then of course we have Charlie's Angels ten years later paving the way for all these shows with female leads. Angels was truly the FIRST successful show with female leads!!

I can see that Charmed may have borrowed from Buffy, but Buffy has borrowed from other stuff too. There hasn't been an original thought since Bible times if you really think about it. These stories go back to the Greek plays. They are just expounded upon, changed and done a little differently.

Brain Drain for example is much like Normal Again, however according to the fellow who wrote Brain Drain (per Charmed magazine) he took his idea to the writers of Buffy and they didn't want to go with it. Sure enough, Normal Again aired a few months after Brain Drain. Also this is not a thread to argue who did it best. I just don't get his beef with Charmed. If anything he should be flattered. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

Oh well. I guess I will never understand! Again this is not to argue which show is better. He just needs to get over it!

RANT OVER!

Edited on 05/25/2009 9:33pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

No1Slayerette

[2]May 28, 2009
    • level: 9
    First let me say the Buffy and Angel are, respectively, my favourite television shows ever, and they probably always will be. Having said that I also like Charmed - but to a lesser extent (I got the Book of Shadows for Christmas and I am slowly working my way through them). As for Joss bagging Charmed I can't really comment because I haven't read Spike: After the Fall yet or watched all of his Buffy commentaries. However I do recall watching a recent interview he did in which he made a sarcastic statement like "Oh look there's a hatch!" (referring to Lost) in response to a question about what makes his new show Dollhouse different to other shows and what viewers can expect to see/ not see in the show. Personally, I love Joss and would never say a bad word against him but his references to Charmed (and also Lost) may be him trying to emphasise that he doesn't see his show as being anything like that and that he finds it amusing that anyone would think the Buffy is similar to these shows.

PiperPrueLover4

[3]May 28, 2009
    • level: 18
    I am similar to the original poster in that I found Charmed before I found Buffy and Angel. I love all three shows, but anything that Joss Whedon touches is better. Buffy and Angel are my favourite shows of all time. Having said that, Joss's comments are probably uncalled for, however Gods are allowed to say pretty much all they want

and Normal Again was better than Brain Drain . I actually hated Brain Drain when I first saw it because it was very light on the kick-ass and more into the sisters being without their powers in a world in Piper's head. I found it boring. Then when I got to the Buffy ep Normal Again, I had heard about it being like Brain Drain and groaned and watched it, and then loved it. It was awesome!

Maybe we should start a new thread to discuss that

SuperSaiyanTien

[4]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 13

In my opinion, Brain Drain was better, because it actually freaked me out, you knew that it wasn't real, but yet it felt so real, you felt Piper's pain and disbelief at everything she fought so hard for, to be unreal.

And even though I love Buffy to death (probably more so than charmed, yet I watched Charmed first) you can't compare Brain Drain to Normal Again, because Buffy was selfish, attempting to give up everyone she loved just so she could have a "normal" life, while Piper was struggling to the very end, but finally gave in, not out of selfishness, but out of love for Leo.

Kadodian

[5]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 23
    Buffy and Angel are my favorite shows followed by Friends,Grey's anatomy,One Tree Hill,Lost and then Charmed. Honestly, yes Joss has been very cruel to Charmed but if he was talking about seasons 5-8 then I completely agree with his comments.

jack756

[6]Jun 23, 2009
    • level: 14
    all i well say is why did brad take over the show how come they didnt get krista v. or a woman.... brad made the sisters into sex symbols and joss never does that i would have prefer constance stick with her show maybe if joss whedon or eric kripe took over charmed s5- 8 wouldnt have sucked so bad .charmed doesnt even come close to buffy.good thing shannen left before they did all the crazy stupied stuff .charmed only has 4 good seasons and thats 1-4

PiperPrueLover4

[7]Jun 23, 2009
    jack756 wrote:
    if joss whedon or eric kripe took over charmed s5- 8 wouldnt have sucked so bad.

Oh. My. God. Joss Whedon taking over Charmed Seasons 6-8 (he couldn't do 5 as he already had 3 shows going in that season) would have been AWESOME. It would have saved the show so much that they may not have had to stop at Season 8!

ZmaXcharmvill3

[8]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 5
    jack756 wrote:
    all i well say is why did brad take over the show how come they didnt get krista v. or a woman.... brad made the sisters into sex symbols and joss never does that i would have prefer constance stick with her show maybe if joss whedon or eric kripe took over charmed s5- 8 wouldnt have sucked so bad .charmed doesnt even come close to buffy.good thing shannen left before they did all the crazy stupied stuff .charmed only has 4 good seasons and thats 1-4

well, i think that if Shannen had stayed, then all of the stupid, fluff would not have been done. Holly has said in interviews that charmed was more dark and serious with Shannen, but when she left, Rose brought in more comedy. anyway... i think that what Joss had said was out of line, but what can we do. i am a devoted fan of charmed and have only scene a few episodes of Buffy, but i do think that Buffy is a great show. Charmed had it's weak points but it's still my all time fav.

PiperPrueLover4

[9]Jun 25, 2009
    ZmaXcharmvill3 wrote:

i am a devoted fan of charmed and have only scene a few episodes of Buffy, but i do think that Buffy is a great show. Charmed had it's weak points but it's still my all time fav.

A bit of advice; if you still want to see Charmed as a fantastic show, NEVER watch Buffy. It blows it out of the water and opens your eyes to just how flawed Charmed really is (particularly in Seasons 5-8 ).
    Edited on 06/25/2009 2:26am

ZmaXcharmvill3

[10]Jun 25, 2009
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    ZmaXcharmvill3 wrote:

i am a devoted fan of charmed and have only scene a few episodes of Buffy, but i do think that Buffy is a great show. Charmed had it's weak points but it's still my all time fav.

A bit of advice; if you still want to see Charmed as a fantastic show, NEVER watch Buffy. It blows it out of the water and opens your eyes to just how flawed Charmed really is (particularly in Seasons 5-8 ).

LOL i know that charmed is not perfect but i accept it the way it is and no matter how good Buffy is, Charmed is still #1 for me

LexClarkaresexy

[11]Jul 3, 2009
    • level: 15
    I will have to agree with some of you. I started to watch Buffy and Angel before i saw charmed and they are most definately my number one shows. However I do love Charmed and will remain to do so.

Lady_Lancaster

[12]Jul 6, 2009
    • level: 41

Joss has a history of making uncalled for and unnecessary comments, I think it's a thing with him. There have been a lot more instances than just the 'Charmed'comments. I always thought the first 3 Seasons of Charmed were excellent, but once Shannen left, I think the credibility of the show went with her, however, this is just my opinion. I loved Buffy far more than Angel but I loved Amy Acker's portrayal of Fred in Angel and there were some good storylines. I guess my main problem is that I have never liked David Boreanaz's acting all that much.

Lady Lancaster

SpikeLover15

[13]Mar 6, 2013
    • level: 1

Charmed was my ultimate fave show as a teen. I started watching when I was around 12 and was completly hooked. I actually started watching from season 5 and saw the previous seasons after. Up until I was around 16/17 I was 100% devoted to Charmed and swore blind I would never find a better show. After it ended, Supernatural was kind of my replacement, but I never quite fell in love with it like I did Charmed. I wouldn't even entertian Buffy becuase I thought it would be too similar to Charmed and I wouldn't be able to connect with the characters. I was devastated when Charmed ended, utterly distraught. I had everything, books, magazines, trading cards, posters, calanders, and even went to a convention and met the actors who played Daryl and Grams along with some other minor characters. So the years went by and I watched other shows, Supernatural grew on me much more especially during the season 4/5 period. I watched and enjoyed Lost, 24, Vampire Diaries, True Blood and as time went by my Charmed posters came down, the books were gathering dust in a corner, and I was going for months and months and months without watching it. The other shows I watched were entertaining but I missed that feeling. That feeling when a show truly gets to you, when you come to really care about the characters, when you actually get so excited you get butterflies when you no you going to watch a brand new episode. Then...something AMAZING happened-BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER! My brother was a big fan and he had the entire boxset, so one day I thought...why not. I started watching and I couldn't believe how quickly I was hooked. I just couldn't believe how amazing it was. It got better with each season (up until 7 anyway) and the character progression was genious. It was such an innovative show, the musical episode 'Once More With Feeling', 'The Body', the Tara and Willow relationship...Glory, Dark Willow, Spike and Buffy, Angel and Buffy...Dawn who is a mystical Key...I mean just wow. Angel too blew me away. As a 12 year old girl I think Charmed was more appealing, but now I see how flawed it really was. The quaility of Buffy really made me see that. It has so many continuity issues, there really isn't much depth, there is some character development but notto the extent there is with Buffy. And after season 4, Charmed does start to get quite ridiculas, and loses a lot of credibilty. Now at 22, Charmed just doesn't get me like it did 10 years ago. Buffy really does blow it completly out of the water, and it appeals to any age. I do still have love for Charmed, It was with me through my teen years and got me through High School. I still watch it from time to time, and I think at its core it's about family which appeals to my soppy side. However my heart now truly belongs to Buffy and the Scooby gang. Charmed just doesn't come close. I think Joss is a bit harsh though, Charmed does have a strong fanbase, and it does have good points. Maybe he's just being big headed...but hey if I had created Buffy I would be too =)

SeinfeldMan

[14]Jun 20, 2013
    ZmaXcharmvill3 wrote:
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    ZmaXcharmvill3 wrote:

LOL i know that charmed is not perfect but i accept it the way it is and no matter how good Buffy is, Charmed is still #1 for me

yes, charmed does hav it flaws .... and i watch buffy all the time but its not a matter of shows its a matter of personal taste so i agree0 and charmed is number 1 for me as well

THEICE

[15]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 12
    I have been a Charmed fan since I was little. I would watch it any way i could. I got the DVD sets over time and still continue to watch it till this very day. yes it has it flaws like any other show but i will ALWAYS be a Charmed fan. I also watch Buffy and have the complete series while I enjoy Buffy its darker than charmed which is the only difference I can think between them. I like both but I will choose Charmed over Buffy in a minute