Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Producers had to kill PRUE or PHEOBE, was Prue the right choice?

dreamereyes

[1]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 1

SO Prue left cuz of a conflict SHANNEN had with ALYSSA , they didnt like each other, and she told the producers to get rid of Pheobe cuz she wouldnt work with her anymore. SINCE it started out as Shannen as the first sister cast, she thought she had alittle power there. LOL. Basically, it was either Pheobe or her. And they took her seriously, and they chose Pheobe! And Prue, who seems to be pretty well liked,... was killed off!! Maybe because Alyssa wasnt the one with the ulitmatum? who knows ...but , of course SHANNEN had been known to be hard to work with on 90210, altho we dont know who was at fault here....

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?? She said it was either HER OR PHOEBE. Did they make the right choice? What would the show have been like if they had gone the other way? How do you think things would have changed? Would it have been BETTER or WORSE??

Edited on 04/29/2008 11:59am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

th77

[2]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 24
    Was Prue the right choice? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tvfan332

[3]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 37

th77 wrote:

I agree Prue was the better character, and I prefered Shannen Doherty's acting. But...I'm glad the writers didn't get the chance to ruin Prudence!

th77

[4]Apr 29, 2008
    As for 90210.. I"m not niave enough to believe, no matter how great of an actress I think Shannen is, that she is blameless.. I'm sure she can be difficult.. However.. Years later Vanessa Marcil left her role as Gina because Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling were supposedly awful to her and in both cases Brian Austin Green sided with Shannen/Vanessa (True Vanessa was his girlfriend but Shannen was not) So it says to me that other people were an issue and in Shannens case she is just outspoken seems that she may not start out wrong but she winds up fighting back strongly and eventually becomes wrong! (which is something alot of people are guilty of myself included)

RosAzzo

[5]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 29
    I liked Pheobe in the show so yes I do think they did the right decsion. If Prue stayed we would have seen a different show.

th77

[6]Apr 29, 2008
    tvfan332 wrote:

th77 wrote:

I agree Prue was the better character, and I prefered Shannen Doherty's acting. But...I'm glad the writers didn't get the chance to ruin Prudence!

That is true!

CharmedOneP391

[7]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 19

i really don't know. I think i would've prefered either Prue, Piper and Phoebe or Piper, Phoebe, and Paige. I don't know how Prue Piper and Paige would've worked out. I think it would've been hard for Shannen to act like she was sad over Alyssa Milano's character being dead, lol.

I do believe if Prue would've lived than they would've had the chance to destroy her character, or atleast make her as boring as Phoebe was in season 8. GOD SEASON 8 PISSES ME OFF so much, Phoebe was always the one who wanted to be a witch and the demon hunter, and she did nothing.

I think the series might've been stronger, probably wouldn't had lasted as long, but i don't regret her leaving because i love Rose and the way she used her telekinisis, so her having premonitions would've been weird. She wouldn't had seemed as strong as she was because Paige deserved an active power, she needed it i think.

Princess_Pinky

[8]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 11

CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    i really don't know. I think i would've prefered either Prue, Piper and Phoebe or Piper, Phoebe, and Paige. I don't know how Prue Piper and Paige would've worked out. I think it would've been hard for Shannen to act like she was sad over Alyssa Milano's character being dead, lol.

It couldn't have been worse than Alyssa pretending (unbelievably) that she was mourning Shannen's character's death.

I've said this over and over and over and over and over and...

Yeah, I think you get the point. Holly, Shannen, and Rose on the show would've been a far better show in quality (both acting and storylines) and their chemistry would've been beautiful. Shannen and Holly had undeniable chemistry that their real life friendship highlighted, I also loved Holly and Rose's scenes (even if there weren't a lot of them), and I think that as a trio, they would've been incredible.

Kadodian

[9]May 1, 2008
    • level: 23
    Phoebe was good but Prue was way better.

dreamereyes

[10]May 1, 2008
    • level: 1

well, i kinda think at the time they did it Pheobe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

NJZ

[11]May 2, 2008
    th77 wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:

th77 wrote:

That is true!

My thoughts exactly.

Ms1fan

[12]May 6, 2008
    • level: 8

At first I thought keeping Phoebe's character was better, but then her character only got worse through the seasons,ppl in this forum are right, had they kept Prue's character they would have ruined it too.

silverfoxy8472

[13]May 7, 2008
    • level: 14

ok on this topic which i am sure i have addressed in other threads before directly or indirectly i am going to put it out there again

there are two ways to look at it let's go from the show stand point first from this stand point it HAD to be prue because she was too powerful especially after recieving reflection even cole wouldn't have been a match. secondly from a show standpoint i liked her confidence and self assuredness but she made way too many sacrifices for her career i think she would have spread that to phoebe and it would have sooo drastically changed the show it is not even funny.

now from a behind the scenes standpoint again it had to be shannen dorherty's character because from all the evidence i have gotten it was shannen not alyssa or holly that was causing problems and she wanted out otherwise we would have been looking at a recast and no one ever wants that believe me so in the end it was not only the correct choice but the only choice

sincerely,

silverfoxy

kataang_fails

[14]May 7, 2008
    • level: 5
    silverfoxy8472 wrote:

ok on this topic which i am sure i have addressed in other threads before directly or indirectly i am going to put it out there again

there are two ways to look at it let's go from the show stand point first from this stand point it HAD to be prue because she was too powerful especially after recieving reflection even cole wouldn't have been a match. secondly from a show standpoint i liked her confidence and self assuredness but she made way too many sacrifices for her career i think she would have spread that to phoebe and it would have sooo drastically changed the show it is not even funny.

now from a behind the scenes standpoint again it had to be shannen dorherty's character because from all the evidence i have gotten it was shannen not alyssa or holly that was causing problems and she wanted out otherwise we would have been looking at a recast and no one ever wants that believe me so in the end it was not only the correct choice but the only choice

sincerely,

silverfoxy

ok most of taht is true but we are talkin about PRUE NOT PHEOBE. even if prue was too powerful who cares they demons they fought were tough so they needed someone like her. billy and her sister alone were powerful enuff to match the power of 3 and the ONLY reason christy was killed was because she was evil. good + power = and the facty that she made alot of scarifices showed that she was a good sister. nothing that she did ever rubbed off pheobe cause in fact pheobe went bak to skool cause both sisters made her feel like she was a lkazy household girl. even wen prue temporarily stopped workin pheobe wasnt encouraged tp do the same. beside se is the youngest sister and she has her column which she loves alot. the only reason prue worked at that antiques thingy was to help them keep their house. so i think it wouldve been better if they got rid of pheobe even though i liked her.

CorneliaFanatic

[15]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!) But Phoebe was much nicer. Plus if you killed her off that was the Cole saga out the window. Also Phoebe was the best at being evil. It's not that i didn't like Prue. She was just my least favourite.

jack756

[16]Aug 11, 2008

ok first of all just b/c shannen tells producers what she like and dont like shes not a b**** maybe if she stayed we wanted have all those bad episodes from s5 and so on but anyway shannen and alyssa had great chemtry even when they were fighting u couldnt tell they hated eachother ...they didnt start fighting until exit stragey but in scences toghter they both still pulled it off so no one should have died shannen should have stayed and alyssa should have stayed and maybe got some help but even do that didnt happened seeing what they did to phoebe character i would say they made a bad choice and ratings prove that..........

alot of fans stop watching b/c of when shannen left.......... bad move.... and if shannen was on there and they started making her character boring and useless like what they did to phoebe (in s5,7 & shannen would have told them what there doing to her character sucks and they need to fix it and they would have fix the problem i think shannen is hard to work with b/c if she dont like something she'll tell you and i find nothing wrong with that shannen was right the show did start turning into a kids show but i think alyssa should have told brad not to make her character so boring,useless,and a slut

but shannen and alyssa plz make out fans have chossen sides i love you both but i love shannen more

jack756

[17]Aug 11, 2008
    jack756 wrote:

ok first of all just b/c shannen tells producers what she like and dont like shes not a b**** maybe if she stayed we wanted have all those bad episodes from s5 and so on but anyway shannen and alyssa had great chemtry even when they were fighting u couldnt tell they hated eachother ...they didnt start fighting until exit stragey but in scences toghter they both still pulled it off so no one should have died shannen should have stayed and alyssa should have stayed and maybe got some help but even do that didnt happened seeing what they did to phoebe character i would say they made a bad choice and ratings prove that..........

alot of fans stop watching b/c of when shannen left.......... bad move.... and if shannen was on there and they started making her character boring and useless like what they did to phoebe (in s5,7 & shannen would have told them what there doing to her character sucks and they need to fix it and they would have fix the problem i think shannen is hard to work with b/c if she dont like something she'll tell you and i find nothing wrong with that shannen was right the show did start turning into a kids show but i think alyssa should have told brad not to make her character so boring,useless,and a slut

but shannen and alyssa plz make out fans have chossen sides i love you both but i love shannen more

i really suck at writing english isnt my first language but i caN SPEAK it clearly but i just cant write that well

NJZ

[18]Aug 11, 2008
    CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!)

It was necessary. The more time Leo spent there with Piper meant the less chance they could bring her back to life (or so Prue thought anyway). By shouting at him and urging him to go to the Underworld she was, in a way, protecting him for the grief he would've felt had Piper died. It's not like she was doing it out of malice.

huh920

[19]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 21
    NJZ wrote:
    CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!)

It was necessary. The more time Leo spent there with Piper meant the less chance they could bring her back to life (or so Prue thought anyway). By shouting at him and urging him to go to the Underworld she was, in a way, protecting him for the grief he would've felt had Piper died. It's not like she was doing it out of malice.

Exactly! I agree completely.

HarmlessAngel

[20]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 10

im not sure

i loved phoebe

and prue was wicked

what people are forgetting is that we do not actually know what happened,

only shannen knows the reason she left, i mean she could have had arguments with alyssa, but they pulled that off in acting, another reason why she was said to have quit was because constance burge left the show, and she didnt like the way the show was turning out so she left

back on topic though, im not sure if prue and piper would of had the patience to deal with a younger sister, i think phoebe was necessary in being the middle sister when paige arrived