Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Producers had to kill PRUE or PHEOBE, was Prue the right choice?

Fallon97

[21]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 5

CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!) But Phoebe was much nicer.

Prue was nice to Leo, too. Prue was just upset about losing her baby sister, who had died in her arms. That was devestating.

In the episode "Pardon My Past" Prue invited Leo to the party because she felt bad because Leo was lonely and had no friends.

In the episode "The Honeymoon Is Over" when Phoebe goes off on Leo when he took Piper to visit the Elders, it was Prue who told her to lay off because she said that poor Leo looked beaten up already and didn't need anymore beating on from Phoebe.

In the episode "Awakened," Phoebe rolled her eyes at Leo when he couldn't help, but Prue was more understanding towards him.

In "Astral Monkey," Phoebe was annoyed with Leo eating the cereal, orbing in and out, and when Prue asked her where was Leo, Phoebe replied, "In the the kitchen with Leo......again!" Phoebe even said that Leo was the big brother she never wanted. Prue had no problem with Leo moving in.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fallon97

[22]Aug 14, 2008

NJZ wrote:
    CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!)
    It was necessary. The more time Leo spent there with Piper meant the less chance they could bring her back to life (or so Prue thought anyway). By shouting at him and urging him to go to the Underworld she was, in a way, protecting him for the grief he would've felt had Piper died. It's not like she was doing it out of malice.

I agree. Prue had to think of her sister, who was dead.

Fallon97

[23]Aug 14, 2008

CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!) But Phoebe was much nicer.

What about all the innocents Prue would die for and save?

What about how protective Prue was about her sisters?

What about Prue supporting an unemployed Phoebe and letting her drive her car and borrow her clothes?

What about Prue risking her life to save an innocent in All Hell Breaks Loose. Prue died saving a stranger/innocent?

What about Prue saving Leo in "All Halliwell's Eve?"

You take that one little scene and call her "unsympathetic" despite all the good she's done for Leo and many others!

Phoebe, Piper, and Paige weren't always sweet or perfect all the time either, no one is.

Edited on 08/14/2008 10:02pm

Fallon97

[24]Aug 14, 2008
    HarmlessAngel wrote:

im not sure

i loved phoebe

and prue was wicked

what people are forgetting is that we do not actually know what happened,

only shannen knows the reason she left, i mean she could have had arguments with alyssa, but they pulled that off in acting, another reason why she was said to have quit was because constance burge left the show, and she didnt like the way the show was turning out so she left

back on topic though, im not sure if prue and piper would of had the patience to deal with a younger sister, i think phoebe was necessary in being the middle sister when paige arrived

I think Piper and Prue would definitely have the patience if Phoebe wasn't around. Remember, Prue was very family oriented and protective of her sisters and innocents. She would of looked at Paige as both a sister and an innocent, and probably would go out of her way to protect her and get to know her, to make up for losing Phoebe.

CorneliaFanatic

[25]Aug 15, 2008

Big soz to Prue. I know she was upset in S3 finale it was just the first bit that came to my head. I'm not sayin prue is mean all the time. I do like Prue! I just prefered the other chracters. But she did come across mean at times. All chracters do. But Prue was my least favourite. That's all!

HarmlessAngel

[26]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 10
    Fallon97 wrote:

I think Piper and Prue would definitely have the patience if Phoebe wasn't around. Remember, Prue was very family oriented and protective of her sisters and innocents. She would of looked at Paige as both a sister and an innocent, and probably would go out of her way to protect her and get to know her, to make up for losing Phoebe.

True, yeah!

CorneliaFanatic wrote:

Big soz to Prue. I know she was upset in S3 finale it was just the first bit that came to my head. I'm not sayin prue is mean all the time. I do like Prue! I just prefered the other chracters. But she did come across mean at times. All chracters do. But Prue was my least favourite. That's all!

yeah i understand your point of veiw

eclecticvewer

[27]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 11

I don't know... I did like Prue's character, but I think if she stayed, the character dynamic would not have worked at all. While Phoebe was never my favorite (always seemed to be more concerned with her love life than anything else, which got annoying to me), she provided a nice balance to the trio.

Piper would have never become the leader she did had Prue stayed, and because of this Piper became my favorite character in later seasons. And I think Prue wouldn't have been so welcoming to Paige...I mean, yeah, she'd eventually come to welcome her as a sister. But I just see them butting heads to the point of driving Paige away. Even Piper became exasperated with Paige in earlier S4 episodes, and Prue was nowhere near as patient. And, mind you, Paige would've been directly replacing Phoebe as the youngest sister, while before she was the youngest and Prue was the oldest. Prue and even Piper might not have been able to take that. Lastly, Paige wouldn't have listened to Prue the Oldest Sister as much as Phoebe was willing to, since there wasn't the childhood experience of having Prue as a maternal figure, and that would've strained the relationship even more.

So, to sum it up, while I liked Prue more, the show benefitted when she left.

...woah, did not mean to go on that rant...

Edited on 08/16/2008 10:59am

Fallon97

[29]Aug 16, 2008
    eclecticvewer wrote:

I don't know... I did like Prue's character, but I think if she stayed, the character dynamic would not have worked at all. While Phoebe was never my favorite (always seemed to be more concerned with her love life than anything else, which got annoying to me), she provided a nice balance to the trio.

Actually, Phoebe and Paige seemed like the same character, in my opinion, so if Phoebe left, Paige would have provided Phoebe's balance. It was too much with both of them existing at the same time. They were too much alike.

rebachick94

[30]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 16
    No, she wasn't. Prue was a lot better than Phoebe. It was Shannen's choice to leave.
    Edited on 08/19/2008 1:58pm

rexkiddo2008

[31]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    prue had to go. she only displayed one emotion in every episode and she got stale. if she stayed the show would have been completely different in a bad way

aktv18

[32]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    Prue was delfinately better than Pheobe especially in the later seasons Pheobe just got more and more annoying.

Stofferoen

[33]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 3
    well nobody nows.......

charrrmed1

[34]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 1
    Yes I loved Prue But if Phoebe Would have died Piper would still be like the same Middle sister and prue would be taking charge I like Piper being the oldest Better!

Fallon97

[35]Sep 1, 2008

charrrmed1 wrote:
    Yes I loved Prue But if Phoebe Would have died Piper would still be like the same Middle sister and prue would be taking charge I like Piper being the oldest Better!

Prue was better as the oldest. She was confident, fiesty, fearless, and very protective -- a natural born leader, which was perfect for being a big sister.

Plus, I liked Piper a lot more when Prue was around. She became too cynical, grouchy, grumpy, snappy, and even more bossier after Prue died. Piper was more sweeter when Prue was alive. Also, Phoebe was so much better as the baby sister. She was streetwise and adorable. Paige never fit in as a sister. Her chemistry was off. She was also paler than the others and looked taller than Phoebe and Piper who were suppose to be her older sisters. I think it's cuter when the big sister is the tallest sister, not shorter.

Also, Piper bossed Paige around too much. It was like she wasn't even a sister. For example:

A Witch's Tale: Piper tells Paige to orb the book of shadows downstairs, but when Paige questions or refuses, Piper tells Paige (annoyingly) "Just do what I tell ya!"

Extreme Makeover: World Edition -- Piper tells Paige "Now, come on.........let's go find Brody!" Paige reluctantly follows behind.

Once In a Blue Moon -- Piper constantly barks out orders. Piper to Paige: "No more magic!" (Paige nodded like an obedient servant.) Piper to Phoebe: "Go with Paige to see Brody!" Piper to Paige: "Orb him to the elders!" Piper to Leo: "Grab Those!"

There's Something About Leo -- Piper to Paige: "Look! Just do the spell!

Another episode (I can't remember the name): Piper went into the baby room and demanded that Leo give the baby another blanket.

Prue, Piper, and Phoebe were all pretty strong-willed, and they all voiced their opinions, and the other listened and agreed. Paige was too much of a follower, and got bossed around too much. It has been mentioned several times, throughout the series how Paige feels left out by Phoebe and Piper, and how she doesn't feel that she has a voice, and how Piper and Phoebe often ignore her opinion, even Leo told Piper this. I could understand her being this way when she was new, like, during the first two years, but Paige was still a follower in 2005, and somewhat of an outsider. She had been on the show for four years by then. Paige made the team weaker, in my opinion, emotionally. The sisterly bond was definitely weaker as well.

Also, I liked the show better when all the sisters were born and raised together, had the same parents, and could share memories together. For example: I love it when the original Charmed Ones talk about when they were little or were in high school. Or when Piper told Prue that she knew that she feared water, and that's why Prue never took swim classes with them (Piper and Phoebe). I miss that family nostalgia that Prue provided from sharing history with Piper and Phoebe. Paige didn't share history. She didn't look like Piper and Phoebe. She didn't seem like the baby sister or a sister, for that matter. The chemistry was not good, and Piper treated Paige like someone she only tolerated and barked orders, too. I never felt a sisterly bond between Paige and Piper.

Edited on 09/02/2008 6:57am
    Edited 3 total times.

Fallon97

[36]Sep 1, 2008

rexkiddo2008 wrote:
    prue had to go. she only displayed one emotion in every episode and she got stale. if she stayed the show would have been completely different in a bad way

Prue displayed plenty of emotions: Anger, sadness, happiness, playfulness, love, vulnerability, and fear. If anything, all Paige displayed was confusion and ditziness.

Edited on 09/02/2008 6:58am
    Edited 2 total times.

NJZ

[37]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 29
    Fallon97 wrote:
    Prue, Piper, and Phoebe were all pretty strong-willed, and they all voiced their opinions, and the other listened and agreed. Paige was too much of a follower, and got bossed around too much.

To be honest though, when Paige first arrived, she was very strong-willed and independent. It's as if, over time, she just settled into a level of acquiescence. As if Piper and Phoebe just wore her down to the point of it just being easier to follow them. I mean, remember in Season 4 how she took the book to help people at work? A person who is bossed around wouldn't have done that. Then again in Centennial Charmed she took initiative and attempted to take out Cole alone. Foolish and dangerous? Yes. But she still did it anyway. And there were numerous times over the seasons where she did take a stand against her sisters but - like I said - she kinda stopped doing it after a while. And I blame that on the writers who didn't really know where to take her character and ended up ruining her.

Fallon97

[38]Sep 2, 2008

NJZ wrote:
    Fallon97 wrote:
    Prue, Piper, and Phoebe were all pretty strong-willed, and they all voiced their opinions, and the other listened and agreed. Paige was too much of a follower, and got bossed around too much.
    To be honest though, when Paige first arrived, she was very strong-willed and independent. It's as if, over time, she just settled into a level of acquiescence. As if Piper and Phoebe just wore her down to the point of it just being easier to follow them. I mean, remember in Season 4 how she took the book to help people at work? A person who is bossed around wouldn't have done that. Then again in Centennial Charmed she took initiative and attempted to take out Cole alone. Foolish and dangerous? Yes. But she still did it anyway. And there were numerous times over the seasons where she did take a stand against her sisters but - like I said - she kinda stopped doing it after a while. And I blame that on the writers who didn't really know where to take her character and ended up ruining her.

That's true! You do make a good point, NJZ. But, overall, Paige just seemed more like a follower and kinda ditzy and confused. That's just how her character came across to me for some reason, and I even kinda liked Paige.

Edited on 09/02/2008 2:11pm

Fallon97

[39]Sep 2, 2008

NJZ wrote:
    Fallon97 wrote:
    To be honest though, when Paige first arrived, she was very strong-willed and independent. It's as if, over time, she just settled into a level of acquiescence. As if Piper and Phoebe just wore her down to the point of it just being easier to follow them. I mean, remember in Season 4 how she took the book to help people at work? A person who is bossed around wouldn't have done that

Well, I mean that Paige's relationship with Phoebe and Piper, particularly Piper, always seemed distant. Piper came to accept Paige and was friendly, but there was still a distance there. It's one thing if Phoebe gave her orders since they were closer, but Piper, the sister who seemed somewhat distant, was the one giving her orders and it made her seem like a follower, in my opinion, particularly since they lacked the sisterly bond.

I agree that there were times when Paige literally took a stand against Piper and Phoebe. I guess I mean that she seemed like an outsider, and just tagged along with (or followed) Phoebe and Piper, overall, within the group, even in the later seasons. It seemed, at times, that Paige's opinion or voice was not included, and Phoebe and Piper seemed to gang up or team up against her. I guess this is why I often think of Paige as a follower or tag along friend to Piper and Phoebe.

Edited on 09/02/2008 2:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

NJZ

[40]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 29
    Fallon97 wrote:

NJZ wrote:
    Fallon97 wrote:
    To be honest though, when Paige first arrived, she was very strong-willed and independent. It's as if, over time, she just settled into a level of acquiescence. As if Piper and Phoebe just wore her down to the point of it just being easier to follow them. I mean, remember in Season 4 how she took the book to help people at work? A person who is bossed around wouldn't have done that

Well, I mean that Paige's relationship with Phoebe and Piper, particularly Piper, always seemed distant. Piper came to accept Paige and was friendly, but there was still a distance there. It's one thing if Phoebe gave her orders since they were closer, but Piper, the sister who seemed somewhat distant, was the one giving her orders and it made her seem like a follower, in my opinion, particularly since they lacked the sisterly bond.

I agree that there were times when Paige literally took a stand against Piper and Phoebe. I guess I mean that she seemed like an outsider, and just tagged along with (or followed) Phoebe and Piper, overall, within the group, even in the later seasons. It seemed, at times, that Paige's opinion or voice was not included, and Phoebe and Piper seemed to gang up or team up against her. I guess this is why I often think of Paige as a follower or tag along friend to Piper and Phoebe.

I agree. Whilst Paige did have a bond with Phoebe & Piper, it never seemed overly sisterly. More like they were good friends as opposed to being sisters.