Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Producers had to kill PRUE or PHEOBE, was Prue the right choice?

  • Avatar of irishrosebud02

    irishrosebud02

    [41]Sep 2, 2008
    • member since: 08/20/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 6

    I say no sister should hsve just been badly hurt and Paige joined anyway.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of vicky24c

    vicky24c

    [42]Sep 5, 2008
    • member since: 04/25/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,348
    tvfan332 wrote:

    th77 wrote:
    Was Prue the right choice? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree Prue was the better character, and I prefered Shannen Doherty's acting. But...I'm glad the writers didn't get the chance to ruin Prudence!


    I totally agree with you on that
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ohmyfrikkingosh

    ohmyfrikkingosh

    [43]Sep 7, 2008
    • member since: 09/06/08
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 41
    irishrosebud02 wrote:

    I say no sister should hsve just been badly hurt and Paige joined anyway.

    i say paige shouldve been billie u know instead of having 3 sisters and billie was kinda like an adopted sister or whatever i think it shouldve been paige insted so it could be kinda like the charmed ones plus a little more help
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of potter325

    potter325

    [44]Sep 8, 2008
    • member since: 10/23/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 725
    I think people tend to favour Prue because she was orignally cast for the show, and Paige was brought in as a replacement and it was quite co-incidental that another daughter turned up when she did. If Paige had been introduced just before Prue's death that would have been more realistic, and they all tried to keep it a secret worrying that they would not be the Charmed Ones.

    Paige could be attacked by a demon and after the sisters saved her, she could say she didn't want to see them ever again, but is drawn to them after Prue's death.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvtome_xena321

    tvtome_xena321

    [45]Oct 27, 2008
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 2,526
    ohmyfrikkingosh wrote:
    irishrosebud02 wrote:

    I say no sister should hsve just been badly hurt and Paige joined anyway.

    i say paige shouldve been billie u know instead of having 3 sisters and billie was kinda like an adopted sister or whatever i think it shouldve been paige insted so it could be kinda like the charmed ones plus a little more help


    Actually thats exactly what I was thinking, that Paige could of been brought in to be someone like Billie, not exactly like her, but you know a witch who is introduced to kinda help the sisters more. Infact I think they should of had Paige actually been turned evil like the source wanted, and play around with that. It could of been cool.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PiperPrueLover4

    PiperPrueLover4

    [46]Oct 27, 2008
    • member since: 05/20/06
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,996
    They absolutely did not make the right decision.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of princehalliwell

    princehalliwell

    [47]Nov 2, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/07
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 56
    dreamereyes wrote:

    well, i kinda think at the time they did it Phoebe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

    I don't know what you are talking about.at the time Prue died they both were good characters.but phoebe had the cole thing going on so she had more going while Prue was only working and had no life.I prefer phoebe because she had A life and didn't blame people for not having fun like Prue "I can't have fun or A life because I am protecting you guys."(not in those words.).Oh please these are grown women we are talking about they can live their lives without you playing mom.like when phoebe and piper were scared to tell her about cole being alive.who does she think she is telling phoebe "If you think telling me this now in hopes that we maydie in there,you got another thing coming."I love the original p3 but piper,Prue and Paige would have sucked.at least Paige, piper and phoebe have lives and work.piper worked and had A life soooo...Prue had no friends,no boyfriend,and hardly any fun.why didn't she have friends.is it because she was too busy with piper and phoebe.no get yourself some friends.but still If I could have my charmed. I would want the original back.and I think Shannen is A good actress.so don't attack me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [48]Nov 4, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    princehalliwell wrote:
    dreamereyes wrote:

    well, i kinda think at the time they did it Phoebe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

    I don't know what you are talking about.at the time Prue died they both were good characters.but phoebe had the cole thing going on so she had more going while Prue was only working and had no life.I prefer phoebe because she had A life and didn't blame people for not having fun like Prue "I can't have fun or A life because I am protecting you guys."(not in those words.).Oh please these are grown women we are talking about they can live their lives without you playing mom.like when phoebe and piper were scared to tell her about cole being alive.who does she think she is telling phoebe "If you think telling me this now in hopes that we maydie in there,you got another thing coming."I love the original p3 but piper,Prue and Paige would have sucked.at least Paige, piper and phoebe have lives and work.piper worked and had A life soooo...Prue had no friends,no boyfriend,and hardly any fun.why didn't she have friends.is it because she was too busy with piper and phoebe.no get yourself some friends.but still If I could have my charmed. I would want the original back.and I think Shannen is A good actress.so don't attack me.

    Since I love Prue to bits, I'm gonna have to stick up for her on this one.

    Firstly, yes, I agree that Phoebe's character had more of a storyline at that point with the Cole thing. But even if Phoebe did die, they could've made it work. It wouldn't have gone down the same way, but they would have found a way to keep Julian in the show.

    Yes, Prue didn't have much of a life but can you blame her? She did have to protect her sisters. It wasn't like before they were witches where they were both old enough to take care of themselves. Once they became witches, everything changed. Every little thing that happened in their lives was potentially life or death. You can't expect Prue to just switch off her maternal instincts and say "they'll be fine, they can handle it". It all stems from her childhood. She protects her sisters because she doesn't know anything else. She can't separate her sisters from her own life because they are her life. Personally, I find that rather admirable.

    And I wouldn't say Prue blamed her sisters for having fun in their lives, it's just that she wanted them to moderate it. Before Season 1, Phoebe was off having fun in New York. Then she lost her job, had no money and nowhere to live etc.., who did she turn to? Her sisters. Had Prue or Piper been different people to who they were, they probably wouldn't have cared about her. But when Phoebe needed them after going overboard with the fun, they were there. Prue's problem wasn't that they had fun, her problem was that they could NEVER shy away from their responsibilities and from who they were. It didn't matter if Phoebe wanted to party the night away, get wasted etc...she couldn't. Not because Prue said so, but because her destiny did. As a Charmed One, Phoebe has a responsibility to all the innocents out there, Prue just reminded her of that. It wasn't about "just because I can't have fun, she can't" - it was Prue looking at the bigger picture. And I'm glad there was always someone to do that. Had Piper and Prue never been around, you can bet your a$$ Phoebe and Paige would no way have lived up to their responsibilities to such a huge extent.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of laffertyluver

    laffertyluver

    [49]Nov 8, 2008
    • member since: 08/18/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 329
    I think Prue was the right choice. For 3 seasons, she tried to control every aspect of her sisters lives, and Piper and Phoebe never really had a chance to shine because Prue was the "strongest". I think killing Prue refreshed the show, and with the addition of Rose, the dynamics and chemistry between the actors was less forced and more organic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kronoan

    Kronoan

    [50]Nov 8, 2008
    • member since: 10/28/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 1
    dreamereyes wrote:

    well, i kinda think at the time they did it Pheobe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

    Well, whatever was going on between Alyssa & Shannen, I would have hoped that they could have worked it out. I love Rose McGowan as an actress & her character; she was a great new character/witch; but we did not even get to find out how Prue had died between the end of Season 3 & the beginning of Season 4. Supposedly what happened is that after Tempus reset time; Prue & Piper were hurt as we'd seen & Leo only had the chance/time to heal one of them. The other one would die because they were both mortally wounded, & he chose Piper. Also we know that Leo & Phoebe were still in the Underworld after time reset, so they would not have been able to/had the time to get back aboveground to the manor in time before Shax attacked so the doctor was killed also, sadly.

    Yet I would have liked it if Shannen had later said that she'd like to co-operate with the cast/producers/whoever to make it a better/good show even without her on it. In an episode I watched just the other day in either Season 5 or 6 there were flashback scenes when Piper & Leo were at a (mortal) marriage counsellor, Piper cast a spell to help them know/remember their memories more clearly. There were several scenes with Prue in them but apparently Shannen has copyrighted(?) or trademarked(?) her face(?) or her image(?) (I had no idea that was possible, or why someone would need/want to do it/that?), so they didn't show her face/voice. It could have been a great opportunity for Paige to talk to Prue quickly each chance she had to maybe get to know her a little bit better (or at least look at her face/listen to her voice & watch her to learn more about her if it wasn't possible to do more that this), but the producers couldn't do that without either paying for it (if so I wonder if they were just being cheap or decided it wouldn't be worth the effort after all) or if it was that they couldn't because if it is a copyright then Shannen would have had to give them her permission for them to use whatever it is/was they want/wanted to show/use.

    Why wouldn't she say it would be fine for them to use whatever old footage they had/have of previous episodes though? They were able to show when she was a dog because that was the episode with the Banshee where Piper & Phoebe cast a spell to help track the Banshee & Prue was transformed into a dog to be able to do that. I've already said a lot though so I'll just end it with I still think Shannen's a decent person, if she has a side that people say makes it hard to work with her, I also know she tried to be good still. I miss her on the show but I guess I'd have to say I've enjoyed Alyssa a lot more since, she's developed new powers & she's come a long way as a person. Maybe Shannen would have too. I know I'd never want to have to make this kind of choice myself ever, I can never choose between 2 more or less equal things because I know I don't know enough about life, myself or anything else to make the right choice. I couldn't live with myself making the wrong choice, I've already done that too many times & it still bothers me a lot.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NJZ

    NJZ

    [51]Nov 9, 2008
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 29
    • rank: Volgar the Enforcer
    • posts: 19,091
    laffertyluver wrote:
    with the addition of Rose, the dynamics and chemistry between the actors was less forced and more organic.


    I disagree.The interactions were more forced if anything.It all came off as unnatural to me and their chemistry was barely there.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charmedancer

    charmedancer

    [52]Nov 26, 2008
    • member since: 06/29/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 840
    Well seeing as how Phoebe was my favorite character, killing Prue was the right decision since it had to be made. I like Prue better than Paige though...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charmed564

    charmed564

    [53]May 18, 2009
    • member since: 03/05/09
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 36

    i think they made the right choice

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TCharmed77

    TCharmed77

    [54]May 25, 2009
    • member since: 06/12/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 231
    I think they made the right choice. I love Paige and Prue is my least favorite..so for me they made the right choice!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kikimarie593

    kikimarie593

    [55]May 29, 2009
    • member since: 07/30/07
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 8,540
    Yes. Pheobe was my favorite character and Prue was my least favorite.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of piper_rocks

    piper_rocks

    [56]Aug 22, 2009
    • member since: 08/23/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 12
    yes cause if phoebe died prue and piper would never accept paige as the new charmed one..prue would hunt demons and piper would try to make prue to stop killing...phoebe is the one that helped piper to accept paige and welcomed her to family
    tags:prue,phoebe
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of missxtrash

    missxtrash

    [57]Aug 23, 2009
    • member since: 08/21/09
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    laffertyluver wrote:
    I think Prue was the right choice. For 3 seasons, she tried to control every aspect of her sisters lives, and Piper and Phoebe never really had a chance to shine because Prue was the "strongest". I think killing Prue refreshed the show, and with the addition of Rose, the dynamics and chemistry between the actors was less forced and more organic.


    Agreed
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mendelier

    mendelier

    [58]Aug 23, 2009
    • member since: 07/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 208
    I think they made the right choice, Prue was taking over too much and the whole 'power of three' was falling away. Also, I really liked what Prues death did to Pipers character.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Lady_Lancaster

    Lady_Lancaster

    [59]Sep 13, 2009
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 41
    • rank: Sleestack
    • posts: 3,152
    th77 wrote:
    tvfan332 wrote:

    th77 wrote:
    Was Prue the right choice? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I agree Prue was the better character, and I prefered Shannen Doherty's acting. But...I'm glad the writers didn't get the chance to ruin Prudence!

    That is true!


    I agree also. I have no problems with Alyssa Milano but as a character, I much preferred Prue and yes, the writers DID wreck Phoebe's character so it was good that they didn't get the chance to do it!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DiahAgustrian

    DiahAgustrian

    [60]Apr 7, 2011
    • member since: 04/04/11
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 66

    jack756 wrote:


    ok first of all just b/c shannen tells producers what she like and dont like shes not a b**** maybe if she stayed we wanted have all those bad episodes from s5 and so on but anyway shannen and alyssa had great chemtry even when they were fighting u couldnt tell they hated eachother ...they didnt start fighting until exit stragey but in scences toghter they both still pulled it off so no one should have died shannen should have stayed and alyssa should have stayed and maybe got some help but even do that didnt happened seeing what they did to phoebe character i would say they made a bad choice and ratings prove that..........


    alot of fans stop watching b/c of when shannen left.......... bad move.... and if shannen was on there and they started making her character boring and useless like what they did to phoebe (in s5,7 & shannen would have told them what there doing to her character sucks and they need to fix it and they would have fix the problem i think shannen is hard to work with b/c if she dont like something she'll tell you and i find nothing wrong with that shannen was right the show did start turning into a kids show but i think alyssa should have told brad not to make her character so boring,useless,and a slut


    but shannen and alyssa plz make out fans have chossen sides i love you both but i love shannen more




    EXACTLY!!! I'm one of the audience who left the show after Shannen quit and somehow, I am trully happy that the rating went downhill. Alyssa was d one who supposed to die. They needed Alyssa just because of her boobs not her acting skills.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.