Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Producers had to kill PRUE or PHEOBE, was Prue the right choice?

DiahAgustrian

[61]Apr 7, 2011
    • level: 4

NJZ wrote:
    princehalliwell wrote:
    dreamereyes wrote:

well, i kinda think at the time they did it Phoebe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

I don't know what you are talking about.at the time Prue died they both were good characters.but phoebe had the cole thing going on so she had more going while Prue was only working and had no life.I prefer phoebe because she had A life and didn't blame people for not having fun like Prue "I can't have fun or A life because I am protecting you guys."(not in those words.).Oh please these are grown women we are talking about they can live their lives without you playing mom.like when phoebe and piper were scared to tell her about cole being alive.who does she think she is telling phoebe "If you think telling me this now in hopes that we maydie in there,you got another thing coming."I love the original p3 but piper,Prue and Paige would have sucked.at least Paige, piper and phoebe have lives and work.piper worked and had A life soooo...Prue had no friends,no boyfriend,and hardly any fun.why didn't she have friends.is it because she was too busy with piper and phoebe.no get yourself some friends.but still If I could have my charmed. I would want the original back.and I think Shannen is A good actress.so don't attack me.

Since I love Prue to bits, I'm gonna have to stick up for her on this one.

Firstly, yes, I agree that Phoebe's character had more of a storyline at that point with the Cole thing. But even if Phoebe did die, they could've made it work. It wouldn't have gone down the same way, but they would have found a way to keep Julian in the show.

Yes, Prue didn't have much of a life but can you blame her? She did have to protect her sisters. It wasn't like before they were witches where they were both old enough to take care of themselves. Once they became witches, everything changed. Every little thing that happened in their lives was potentially life or death. You can't expect Prue to just switch off her maternal instincts and say "they'll be fine, they can handle it". It all stems from her childhood. She protects her sisters because she doesn't know anything else. She can't separate her sisters from her own life because they are her life. Personally, I find that rather admirable.

And I wouldn't say Prue blamed her sisters for having fun in their lives, it's just that she wanted them to moderate it. Before Season 1, Phoebe was off having fun in New York. Then she lost her job, had no money and nowhere to live etc.., who did she turn to? Her sisters. Had Prue or Piper been different people to who they were, they probably wouldn't have cared about her. But when Phoebe needed them after going overboard with the fun, they were there. Prue's problem wasn't that they had fun, her problem was that they could NEVER shy away from their responsibilities and from who they were. It didn't matter if Phoebe wanted to party the night away, get wasted etc...she couldn't. Not because Prue said so, but because her destiny did. As a Charmed One, Phoebe has a responsibility to all the innocents out there, Prue just reminded her of that. It wasn't about "just because I can't have fun, she can't" - it was Prue looking at the bigger picture. And I'm glad there was always someone to do that. Had Piper and Prue never been around, you can bet your a$$ Phoebe and Paige would no way have lived up to their responsibilities to such a huge extent.

I will not add more. Ur thoughts are clear and awesome. Love every sentence u wrote here.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

iltarion

[62]May 6, 2011
    • level: 18

Ah, delusional ones, there WAS NO CHOICE. Shannen Doherty LEFT. Who did Shannen play again? Oh, Prue. That means Prue had to be written out.

The only choice made was by Shannen. She CHOSE to leave. She also CHOSE to never have her image shown again on the show. The producers were left to deal with it.

I am SO sick of reading about Prue. There were 8 seasons of Charmed. She was a character on exactly 3 of them. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charmed went on for 5 more seasons after she left. So, her leaving worked out JUST FINE for the show.

Maccsa

[63]May 9, 2011
    • level: 10

mendelier wrote:
    I think they made the right choice, Prue was taking over too much and the whole 'power of three' was falling away. Also, I really liked what Prues death did to Pipers character.

laffertyluver wrote:
    I think Prue was the right choice. For 3 seasons, she tried to control every aspect of her sisters lives, and Piper and Phoebe never really had a chance to shine because Prue was the "strongest". I think killing Prue refreshed the show, and with the addition of Rose, the dynamics and chemistry between the actors was less forced and more organic.

that pretty much sums up what i think

Edited on 05/09/2011 5:37am

DominionGrey

[64]May 29, 2011
    • level: 2

Well one of them had to go because of the personal probmels between Alyssa and Shannenand if i wasmy descison i would have kept Phoebe and i am glad they did, i wish they both could have stayed because i was not a big fan of Rose's McGowans portayal of Paige Mathews(though i got use to her of course) but it did add another layer of storyto theseries having one of the Charmed ones die.

PterKoele

[65]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 1

First I would have said: ''It was the right choice, because I like Phoebe most.''

But then I've read all ofyour comments in serveral threads, of why you all didn't like Phoebe. She would have been a selfish whore.

I think that she wasn't until season 5. Later in the seasons she is so bussy with finding her love, and being not too late for having her little daughter she saw in the future, it just became very annoying. But I do think she brings the comedy into the serie.

tvtome_xena321

[66]Jun 25, 2011
    • level: 27
    I'd say Piper was the most balanced sister, who didn't steal screentime over all seasons, Prue and Phoebe did in alot of seasons. But Phoebe's last 3 seasons was pretty bad.

brettey22

[67]Jul 28, 2011
    its to hard to decide i loved prue wish she never left and pheobe is really good but her charecter did get worse but i cant picture the show without her, i grew to love paige and after prue is my second fav!! i just wish they could of had all 4 charecters, the power of 4 lol

Fallon97

[68]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 5

CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!) .

Prue was upset that her sister got shot and was bleeding to death in her arms. Prue had been thru a terrible traumatizing experience with all the reporters who wouldn't get out of her driveway. She was just upset when she shouted at Leo. Give the poor girl a break! Her sister had just died. She was upset, and probably had lost lost her mind.

Prue is a nice and good person. She is the sister who would most likely be passionate about protecting an innocent (like you or me).

In fact, Prue died trying to save an innocent.

jack756

[69]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 14
    Fallon97 wrote:

CorneliaFanatic wrote:
    I didn't really like Prue. She always came across a bit umsympathetic(eg. All Hell Breaks Loose when she shouted at Leo. The man's wife just died!) .

Prue was upset that her sister got shot and was bleeding to death in her arms. Prue had been thru a terrible traumatizing experience with all the reporters who wouldn't get out of her driveway. She was just upset when she shouted at Leo. Give the poor girl a break! Her sister had just died. She was upset, and probably had lost lost her mind.

Prue is a nice and good person. She is the sister who would most likely be passionate about protecting an innocent (like you or me).

i agree and also why dont ppl understand the longer leo cried over piper body the longer it would take for time to be reverse.even tho prue was angry at piper being killed she also knew leo had to get going and when leo crying over piper ,prue understood but she also saw it has i need him to get going or else its gone be harder to revese time.i didnt know why some fans dont get that.

jack756

[70]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 14
    jack756 wrote:
    Fallon97 wrote:

CorneliaFanatic wrote:

i agree and also why dont ppl understand the longer leo cried over piper body the longer it would take for time to be reverse.even tho prue was angry at piper being killed she also knew leo had to get going and when leo crying over piper ,prue understood but she also saw it has i need him to get going or else its gone be harder to revese time.i didnt know why some fans dont get that.
    thats why prue is the smarter,tougher and just outspoken sister she is always doing what her sister cant.

like when she had to kill piper in coyte piper(phoebe would have never did that or even thought to do that)or in all hell breaks loose when she scream at leo to leave and hurry up(prue knew leo had to get going and he couldnt just cry over the body)or in astral monkey when she knew the doctor had to die b/c he was turning into something bad and killing innocents.or when she didnt trust cole or their dad when he first came or when aiviva came out of nowhere or when phoebe wanted to yell at piper and prue was like giver her time on the honeymoons not over or when prue had to get onto phoebe about lying on the power of two and on wresting with demons.prue is always thinking under pressure,her plans are flawless,and she understands alot and she is just so smart.thats why prue is the best

i mean even tho paige was there longer than prue. prue still the most powerful why?i mean shes the first born and not only that but stuff paige learn how to do in 2 seaosns prue learned in 1 season..

Danah

[71]Dec 9, 2011
    • level: 3

Damn right it was the right choice. can you imagine the show without Phoebe?!!!! as much as i love Piper -NOT Paige- Phoebe was what made the show fun, she was funny, smart, and did most of the stupid decisions AND most of the smart ones as well. XD

lets face it she's the heart of the show, she was the only one adventurous enough to start it all.

AshleyPage

[72]Dec 9, 2011

I agree strongly!! Phoebe was fun, cute an streetwise, she made the show a little lighter with her comedic sense, i hated when she became too serious in season 3, she was better in season one and two, what i liked was the sisterly bond, the history they shared, season 4 couldve been more darker emotionally, even challenging each sisters fears, buffy had a more serious grown up tone, chamred wouldve been good if season 4 followed with a dark season with powerful emotions and secrets from the past wouldve been good. Paige should be introduced as a Billie type character who doesnt lose her independecy, i hated how paige became weaker as the season progressed, but overall they shouldnt have killed either character, if u noticed phoebe returned back to herself in season 4 when prue died

prettyinpurple3

[73]Jan 2, 2012

I think the producers should of killed prue pheobe makes the show fun but i dont like when she didnt listen to page when page tried to tell pheobe that her husband was the sorce of all evil. Other than than that shes kinda kool

tvtome_xena321

[74]Jan 5, 2012
    • level: 27

AshleyPage wrote:

I agree strongly!! Phoebe was fun, cute an streetwise, she made the show a little lighter with her comedic sense, i hated when she became too serious in season 3, she was better in season one and two, what i liked was the sisterly bond, the history they shared, season 4 couldve been more darker emotionally, even challenging each sisters fears, buffy had a more serious grown up tone, chamred wouldve been good if season 4 followed with a dark season with powerful emotions and secrets from the past wouldve been good. Paige should be introduced as a Billie type character who doesnt lose her independecy, i hated how paige became weaker as the season progressed, but overall they shouldnt have killed either character, if u noticed phoebe returned back to herself in season 4 when prue died

Actually I wouldn't have minded Paige introduced as a Billie type character, had Prue stayed on. I'd say the final season could of been sisters vs. sisters still, but with Paige being in Billie's place or Paige being Chrisy, kidnapped by demons.

Edited on 01/05/2012 4:34am

barnman

[75]Jan 5, 2012

No Phoebe would have been better mainly because I love both Paige and Prue. List of reasons why Phoebe should have died:

Her relationship with Cole was perfect but the producers messed that up so if she died maybe Cole turned evil and the new Charmed Ones could have had a fantastic new enemy the real actually evil Balthazar.

Phoebe's power would have suited Paige more because of her whitelighter heritage and as for active power - hello orbing? and She should have had the power to heal considering she's a Charmed One - this was a totally poor decision from the producers. Paige could have also had some whitelighter energy ability or something! So it would have been a cool new power instead of a new twist on an old power. I liked how Paige's telekinesis worked too but imagine this Paige would have had so many more people to help and Phoebe was just abusing her powers and her being a witch wasn't a big enough issue.

Paige and Prue would have bonded considering that the real Piper never would have shunned Paige and Prue after like half an hour she would have turned like super mom on the freaking out Paige and be like your not going anywhere until we figure this out and when the source like took over Paige, Prue would have totally beaten herself about it and then resolve to be a better sister in memory of Phoebe or something becasue let's face it Phoebe treated Paige like a doll a little sister she had use of because more often Phoebe berated Paige unlike Piper who just became bossy from her new role as the eldest and the fact she was a little sad over Prue's death and her inability to cope with a new sister. Marry Go Round: Phoebe yells at Paige for something that was innocent, she was a witch for 3 years she should have figured it out immediatly. And various other episodes and as for Phoebe's job I mean it was basically handed down to her and the whole Ask Phoebe wasn't Phoebe it was just a convenient excuse to make her look less pathetic and more figured out and a matured sister which failed on so many levels considering Paige actually made smarter decisions than Phoebe ever did.

As for comedy Phoebe gone would have gotten rid of so many annoyingcharacter and her stupidity in some episodes was just absolutely awful and as for the whole biological clock ticking gimmick it was so not Season 1 Phoebe and her character can't have matured that fast, at that stage she would have been open to the idea of kids and marriage not intent on kids and marriage.

And as for Prue not having a life that was all caused by Phoebe and her immaturity and because Prue already had a job and was the main provider and kinda of a super witch. Paige never would have had to quit her job and she would have been like this Social Worker with her own identity standing tall and proud.

As for nostalgia on childhood stories don't you think Paige wanted to hear about her sisters and the dad issue was never a issue and with Prue it would have been easier as she would bond with him and Victor would be less depressed.

Plus Phoebe on a whole was this selfish whiny person who:

Slept with her boss and co-workers. Jason, Leslie, Dex and who knows who else?

Made poor decisions and judgements: eg Cole & the whole source debacle and her powers being stripped - self explanatory.

Got possessed and kidnapped like quite a lot and her sisters couldn't tell the difference because Phoebe basically was a skanky demon type of person.

Tried to save the day but more often than not ruined it. eg Styx Feet Under ended up killing Paige!

Hypocrite: Piper tried to move out after marriage, Phoebe yelled at her the most yet after less than a year of her sister dying Phoebe abondons her sister - nice!

Prue was smart, calculated and sexy as for being a badass evil witch someone clearly hasn't seen episode 2x09 Ms Hellfire one of my personal favourite Prue ep and shows off her inner hit woman!

Edited on 01/09/2012 2:32pm

FilmFanatic

[76]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 5

I (still) am a big fan of Charmed and Beverly Hills 90210. Given the facts (without taking anything else in consideration) Shannen was fired from not 1 but 2 shows from only seasons 3 and 4 respectively. What I remember from E true hollywood story for Charmed, they kind of said that she was difficult to work with and had a conflict with another member of the cast (Alyssa Milano). The same with 90210 (even though I don't know with whom she had a conflict there). ALyssa on the other hand was a great person to work with (as everyone said) and I guess when Shannen gave the ultimatum, they chose Alyssa. On and all, I don't have anything against Shannen , but I wouldn't change anything in the show. Alyssa is great and I couldn't imagine Charmed without Rose McGowan.

Jon_MW_14

[77]Jan 15, 2012
    • level: 39
    FilmFanatic wrote:

I (still) am a big fan of Charmed and Beverly Hills 90210. Given the facts (without taking anything else in consideration) Shannen was fired from not 1 but 2 shows from only seasons 3 and 4 respectively. What I remember from E true hollywood story for Charmed, they kind of said that she was difficult to work with and had a conflict with another member of the cast (Alyssa Milano). The same with 90210 (even though I don't know with whom she had a conflict there). ALyssa on the other hand was a great person to work with (as everyone said) and I guess when Shannen gave the ultimatum, they chose Alyssa. On and all, I don't have anything against Shannen , but I wouldn't change anything in the show. Alyssa is great and I couldn't imagine Charmed without Rose McGowan.

I totally agree with you.

adiokid

[78]Feb 5, 2012

NJZ wrote:
    princehalliwell wrote:
    dreamereyes wrote:

well, i kinda think at the time they did it Phoebe's character wasnt that interesting, so they didnt make the best decision with who they kept because Prue was a really good character, but thinking from their perspective, i guess i can see why they didnt wanna keep the one who was throwing a power play, its like..whos the director ..i think it was Hitchcock, who had someone picked out to fire the first day of filming, on each movie, just to basically get everyone else to respect him and know whos boss. So, if they gave in to Shannen, there might be others doin the same and the producers would look like goobers. but..it did suck to lose Prue...i do think that the 3 sisters ended up havin good chemistry tho, I wonder if Shannen regrets sayin sumthin. lol.

I don't know what you are talking about.at the time Prue died they both were good characters.but phoebe had the cole thing going on so she had more going while Prue was only working and had no life.I prefer phoebe because she had A life and didn't blame people for not having fun like Prue "I can't have fun or A life because I am protecting you guys."(not in those words.).Oh please these are grown women we are talking about they can live their lives without you playing mom.like when phoebe and piper were scared to tell her about cole being alive.who does she think she is telling phoebe "If you think telling me this now in hopes that we maydie in there,you got another thing coming."I love the original p3 but piper,Prue and Paige would have sucked.at least Paige, piper and phoebe have lives and work.piper worked and had A life soooo...Prue had no friends,no boyfriend,and hardly any fun.why didn't she have friends.is it because she was too busy with piper and phoebe.no get yourself some friends.but still If I could have my charmed. I would want the original back.and I think Shannen is A good actress.so don't attack me.

Since I love Prue to bits, I'm gonna have to stick up for her on this one.

Firstly, yes, I agree that Phoebe's character had more of a storyline at that point with the Cole thing. But even if Phoebe did die, they could've made it work. It wouldn't have gone down the same way, but they would have found a way to keep Julian in the show.

Yes, Prue didn't have much of a life but can you blame her? She did have to protect her sisters. It wasn't like before they were witches where they were both old enough to take care of themselves. Once they became witches, everything changed. Every little thing that happened in their lives was potentially life or death. You can't expect Prue to just switch off her maternal instincts and say "they'll be fine, they can handle it". It all stems from her childhood. She protects her sisters because she doesn't know anything else. She can't separate her sisters from her own life because they are her life. Personally, I find that rather admirable.

And I wouldn't say Prue blamed her sisters for having fun in their lives, it's just that she wanted them to moderate it. Before Season 1, Phoebe was off having fun in New York. Then she lost her job, had no money and nowhere to live etc.., who did she turn to? Her sisters. Had Prue or Piper been different people to who they were, they probably wouldn't have cared about her. But when Phoebe needed them after going overboard with the fun, they were there. Prue's problem wasn't that they had fun, her problem was that they could NEVER shy away from their responsibilities and from who they were. It didn't matter if Phoebe wanted to party the night away, get wasted etc...she couldn't. Not because Prue said so, but because her destiny did. As a Charmed One, Phoebe has a responsibility to all the innocents out there, Prue just reminded her of that. It wasn't about "just because I can't have fun, she can't" - it was Prue looking at the bigger picture. And I'm glad there was always someone to do that. Had Piper and Prue never been around, you can bet your a$$ Phoebe and Paige would no way have lived up to their responsibilities to such a huge extent.

I don't know about keeping Cole in the show because Prue never liked him and Paige never liked him I don't think Prue and Paige would have that hard a time getting Piper to vanquish him which the vanquish itself wouldn't be hard because at the time he was the demon Belthazor.

GCT89

[79]Feb 15, 2012
    • level: 8

i think shannen was lucky to get out when she did before seeing what the series became, although it would have been neat to see how Prue and Paige would bond as i personally think they would have got on very well as they both shared a passion for the craft, mutual hatred of cole, both were stubborn and put innocents and there sisters before themselves

as phoebe's character was completely butchered i'm glad i didnt get to see it happen to prue's character

ShayleeLawren

[80]Dec 2, 2012

I loved prue but i think pheobe was the better choice i just think she was better in the power of three but there could have been the power of four and they could all be in it paige, prue, pheobe, and pipper.