Charmed Forums

The WB (ended 2006)

Would they ever make a Charmed movie?

OliverTrimble

[1]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 15
    I know probably quite a lot of people are against a Charmed movie but I think with the right screenplay and director it could be truly fantastic.

I believe that the movie should really standalone from the rest of the series. I think that perhaps a "Morality Bites" Charmed Ones visiting the future would be quite good. It could offer fans a vision of what the show would have been like if it hadn't ended in Season 8.

What does everyone else think? Can I ask if you are against a movie to be polite and open to other people's suggestions. Thankyou.
    Edited on 03/27/2006 8:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

maxpower03

[2]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 42
    These are the reasons a movie wouldn't work...

- The writers themselves have no more ideas, and an original idea for a Charmed movie is unlikely.

- Charmed itself hasn't got a good reputation with critics, who mostly see it as a "lightweight comedy drama with three hot chicks" so I doubt a movie producer would be interested.

- I doubt it would be a box office hit, seeing as the basic idea of Charmed isn't that exciting, the actresses haven't got major box office appeal and the show hasn't achieved the label of "uber-cult status" like The Dukes of Hazzard, Dallas or Charlie's Angels has.

- It wouldn't attract new audiences who had never watched the show, as the actresses aren't that famous in the movie world and, as said before, the show hasn't got that big a good reputation outside of it's immediate audience.

OliverTrimble

[3]Mar 26, 2006
    I don't think it would have to be a feature film, it could be a TV movie.

maxpower03

[4]Mar 26, 2006
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    I don't think it would have to be a feature film, it could be a TV movie.

Same problem...

- Charmed has reached a natural end and there's not much more the characters can realistically go through.

- The actresses probably want to distance themselves from the characters they've played for the past eight years.

- I don't think enough fans would want a TV movie. We've known these characters for eight years, gone through their pain and happiness and anybody who wants even more Charmed is either in denial, freakishly obsessed or unable to move on.

OliverTrimble

[5]Mar 26, 2006
    What about a spinoff movie, not starring the girls.

Robbieboyagain

[6]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    I dont think i would want a movie, but if they did do one i would like to see it revolve around the warren line with Penny and Patty being born then delivering the Charmed ones and focues aroung the witchly dutes and love.

maxpower03

[7]Mar 26, 2006
    OliverTrimble wrote:

Either way the movie wouldn't be a hit, but it would be even less of a hit if it didn't star Alyssa, Holly and Rose.

OliverTrimble

[8]Mar 26, 2006
    It would be more of a hit if more well known actors/actresses were cast.

maxpower03

[9]Mar 26, 2006
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    It would be more of a hit if more well known actors/actresses were cast.

But then it wouldn't be Charmed. And it wouldn't have that big a budget to afford A-list actresses.

OliverTrimble

[10]Mar 26, 2006
    It could be a spinoff movie of Charmed. I think perhaps Paramount will give the movie quite a high budget, after strong DVD sales and a successful run. I'm not saying the movie has to be in the near future but I can see that Brad may be inspired by the amount of loyal fans to give a little more into the Charmed universe. How about a whitelighter falling in love with a charge movie, it would be set in the Charmed universe but not strictly a continuation of the show.

maxpower03

[11]Mar 26, 2006
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    It could be a spinoff movie of Charmed. I think perhaps Paramount will give the movie quite a high budget, after strong DVD sales and a successful run. I'm not saying the movie has to be in the near future but I can see that Brad may be inspired by the amount of loyal fans to give a little more into the Charmed universe. How about a whitelighter falling in love with a charge movie, it would be set in the Charmed universe but not strictly a continuation of the show.

Paramount has already basically stated they don't believe they could profit from Charmed by not allowing special features on the DVDs so what makes you think they'll splash out loads of cash for a Charmed movie?

Robbieboyagain

[12]Mar 26, 2006
    maxpower03 wrote:
    OliverTrimble wrote:

Paramount has already basically stated they don't believe they could profit from Charmed by not allowing special features on the DVDs so what makes you think they'll splash out loads of cash for a Charmed movie?

I think thats just an excuse, Paramount dont put any extras on their dvd's except trek and some others. Charmed dvd's are quite succesfull. It's just paramount have their heads stuck up their asses. Also if charmed were from WB or even Fox we would get lots of extras.

OliverTrimble

[13]Mar 26, 2006
    Yeah Charmed DVDs have been quite popular in the charts over here in the U.K. I think Season 5 is number 8 or something.

Robbieboyagain

[14]Mar 26, 2006
    maxpower03 wrote:
    OliverTrimble wrote:

Either way the movie wouldn't be a hit, but it would be even less of a hit if it didn't star Alyssa, Holly and Rose.

You dont know for a fact that it wouldnt be a hit, no-one thought Hallowen would be a hit and look at it now, its still one of the best horror movies ever made. And it wouldnt be Charmed without Holly,Alyssa and Rose, it would be rubbish without them in it.

OliverTrimble

[15]Mar 26, 2006
    There are a lot of movies that wern't expected to be hits and were. Halloween is a great example, it would be far too early to predict if the movie would be a hit or not. Charmed has global success with fans all over the world, if it was a straight-to-dvd movie it would do very well.
    Edited on 03/26/2006 6:39am

maxpower03

[16]Mar 26, 2006
    Robbieboyagain wrote:
    maxpower03 wrote:
    OliverTrimble wrote:

You dont know for a fact that it wouldnt be a hit, no-one thought Hallowen would be a hit and look at it now, its still one of the best horror movies ever made. And it wouldnt be Charmed without Holly,Alyssa and Rose, it would be rubbish without them in it.

But Halloween had an original idea and was fresh and original. Charmed is a show that's been around for eight years now and there's loads of shows like Charmed that were much fresher and much more respected, like Buffy or Xena.

Robbieboyagain

[17]Mar 26, 2006
    maxpower03 wrote:
    Robbieboyagain wrote:
    maxpower03 wrote:
    OliverTrimble wrote:

But Halloween had an original idea and was fresh and original. Charmed is a show that's been around for eight years now and there's loads of shows like Charmed that were much fresher and much more respected, like Buffy or Xena.

I agree with you Max but i'm just sayin that no-one knows wether it will be a hit or not unless it was made.

OliverTrimble

[18]Mar 26, 2006
    Halloween wasn't really fresh, it was just the usual slasher flick. Charmed is the one with the original idea, three sisters who have the power of witchcraft is more orignal. If the producers made the film as if the show had never happened it would be successful.

maxpower03

[19]Mar 26, 2006
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    Halloween wasn't really fresh, it was just the usual slasher flick. Charmed is the one with the original idea, three sisters who have the power of witchcraft is more orignal. If the producers made the film as if the show had never happened it would be successful.

It was the FIRST slasher flick, with a masked stalker and a young woman in peril.

Nacha255

[20]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 12
    But guys, I don't think it's important whether or not Paramount will actually do it - it's not like any ideas we discuss here would have been used anyway. In fact, I think it's better that they're not doing a movie - this way, we can imagine that they're using our ideas without our ideas being contradicted.