Charmed

Freaky Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 01, 2005 on The WB

• Alyssa Takes Off Her Mask...

There's only two words that come to mind as I write this: missed opportunity.

The body swap has been a well-known, re-usable storyline for many sci-fi shows and yes Charmed has already had body swap stories (Enter the Demon to name one) but I was actually looking forward to this episode quite a lot. It had been a while since Charmed had done a full-on comedy episode and I was hoping this would be a good vehicle to show that Charmed can write comedy without it ending up corny or childish.

Sadly, this episode is actually quite boring. The demon of the week, an ugly hag called Imara, is different compared to other demons as it's obvious that Suzanne Krull had undergone a lot of make-up to look so weird and otherworldly compared to other demons on the show, which are usually just human-looking.

Imara decides to gain the respect of Zankou by swapping bodies with Phoebe, so she can first kill Phoebe in Imara's body and then kill Piper and Paige. The scenes with Imara in Phoebe's body are funny but few and far between, with only some moments (Imara's fake premonitions and her constant clothes-changing) sticking in your mind. Eventually, the episode gets boring and a pointless "sister dies" twist is put in the fourth act. I for one get tired of the times when one of the sisters is killed. As it's happened so often and you know that they'll be saved somehow, all suspense is gone.

Alyssa Milano and Suzanne Krull both gave good performances in the episode and Alyssa portrayed evil quite well (as we've seen her do before in the Queen of the Underworld saga in the latter part of season four).

I don't really know what to think about Phoebe's decision to go back to college. We've already had the "College-Phoebe" storyline once before and do we really need it again? It seems like they've only written it in to give Phoebe something to do or so she could meet the father of her unborn baby in her psychology class or something. We'll have to wait and see.

Freaky Phoebe is an occasionally funny but ultimately forgettable hour of Charmed.