Charmed

Freaky Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 01, 2005 on The WB

• DON'T FANCY YOURS MUCH

Don't fancy yours much

Charmed is looking a little tired at the moment. Since the end of the avatar arc, it seems to have been running on autopilot. The last few episodes haven't been bad but I'm sure I'd have rated them more highly in earlier seasons.

This week sees a hag named Imara swap souls with Phoebe in order to go on a demon hunting rampage. It's not a bad story, and there's some nice acting, but the possessed sister thing has been done so many times it doesn't have the impact it should. And what is it with Piper? She knows they are hunting a soul swapper and it's blindingly obvious Phoebe is acting strangely but it still takes her almost the full hour to put two and two together. Grrrrr!

There are some memorable scenes, like Imara faking a premonition while in Phoebe's body, but she spends way too much time checking herself out in the mirror. The script is also a little odd towards the end - neither Piper nor Paige seem remotely upset that their sister has died - they just assume she 'll come back. They're right, of course, but it totally destroys any sense of drama. Top marks this week go to the make-up team for doing such a good job on Imara - she really does look the part.

Paige being called up as a whitelighter is a good development and, unlike last week, her subplot ties into the main story. I thought her charge, Mitchell, had a very cool power. It's nice to see another witch who is more than just demon fodder.

Inspector Sheridan makes a fleeting appearance too. I'm not sure where they're going with this character. She's obviously been kept on for a reason but she's hardly done anything since getting knocked out in 'Charrrrrrrmed'. I guess we'll have to wait until the finale.

Score: 9.0