Charmed

Hell Hath No Fury

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 2001 on The WB

• Tears are not enough

This episode had a lot of emotion and a sense of honesty. Also for once it's one of those rare episodes that take a rather unfun turn, there is little to no humor in this one.
    The main themes of this are on internal anger and grief.
    Most of this is all focused on Piper, as we see her go through the motions of getting over the loss of Pure and adjusting to the changes, from the fact a new sister Page is coming into her life and also change in the sisterhood ranks.

Both of these portions of reality don't sit well with her. She goes into a state of denial by ignoring her sisters mainly Page sometimes and just constantly works on the usual demon hunting. And of course one of the demons Furies infect her with some spell where she slowly but surely turns into one of them. This of course release much internal anger and she goes on a demon hunting killing spree. You really feel for the Piper character, she's litteraly in emotional hell, the look of pain on her eyes and the anger she inflicts looks and feels real. It's understandable the heavy burden she has to bear, which is just crushing her and the anger starts to grow like a virus.

Basically what she is going though is a metaphor on the Stages of Grief. Sometimes when a loss is very tramatic, a person doesn't cry imediately because they repress it. But it gets subconcously relased when they go though certain steps to get there. And that is what Piper was going though in the episode, we see the demon slaying routine as the denial stage. Constantly keeping busy might also still be denial but also a form of bargining. Anger the fury spell obviously. Breakdown on the gravestone part. And then finally acceptance in the final minutes. I sort of emphise with Piper in this episode a little since I went though a little of the same thing (not quite all of the stages but enough of them to get to the final ones.)when someone I knew died.

This episode help make Page more fleshed out and also sympathtic. When she in a conversation with Phoebe says she understands what Piper is going though since she lost her foster parients in a car accident. And Page comes though as both a Charmed one and sister when she teleports Piper to the tombstone of Pure. Page says it's ok to hate and be angry at someone that has died, it helps bring out the pain. And Piper does and it's just painful seeing her relase all her anger constantly hiting the stone and spouting out words. Then just breaking down and crying and suddenly turn back to normal. I'll admit I almost shed a tear for Piper at that moment.

It really show how real the pain loss truely can be and repressing it only makes things worse. By confronting it and able to release it can one truely move on. These were changes that both Piper and I had to accept and it's not making our lives any easier.