Charmed

Hell Hath No Fury

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 2001 on The WB

• Backfire or bust

Another cracking installment! This is one of those rare episodes in which the demon plot and the sister plot are equally good, with a near perfect balance of humour and drama.

The demon plot sees Piper on a baddie-bashing bender, only to meet her match in the shape of three furies. Unfortunately for Piper, her anger causes her to become one herself. This may sound like merely another 'sister turns into something' episode but it actually links perfectly to the ongoing theme of Piper's grief. I love the idea that Piper's way of coping is to go on a revenge mission; it's not the Piper we know but grief works in strange ways. The sequence of freezing and blasting outside the garage is wonderful and the scene at the mausoleum brings the saga of Prue's death to a sad but satisfying end.

The sister plot is comical but also highly believable. Who wouldn't want to cast a few spells if they were given the chance? Unlike some on here, I thought having Paige's boobs swell up when her spell backfired was hilarious. It was totally unexpected and led to some very funny moments. Much like Phoebe at the start of the series, she is clearly keen to have some fun with her witchcraft. It's really refreshing!

Piper is still struggling to accept Paige and Phoebe is doing a great job of smoothing things over. I'm not sure simply moving each sister one rung up the ladder is the right thing to do. It's a bit of a cop out by the producers and I definitely preferred Piper as she was. Just because she is mourning Prue doesn't mean she has to become her.

Lastly, it's nice to see Phoebe's levitation power being used so effectively. It's not used half as much as it should be IMO.