Charmed

House Call

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 2003 on The WB

7.9
  • House Call

House Call was a great episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development. I also really liked the drama and intrigue as the story unfolded. There was action, magic and some humor. This was a good filler epiosde with some development to further the series. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode to see how things progress!!!!!
  • A bit of a turkey, this one. Get the carving knife there, Pheebs. Ta!

From the sublime to the downright embarrassing, the quality of Charmed can change as easily as flipping a switch. It's usual for this show to follow any arc-heavy episode with a stand-alone, but this one suffers more so due to a haphazard script and a ''kitchen sink'' feel to it. On paper, I'm sure, it sounded like a hoot: Paige getting married and orbing Glenn's fiance into a volcano; Phoebe turning her competition into a turkey and then eating him; and Piper, bless her, always with the short straw, going on a massive cleaning rampage. Unfortunately, the episode never quite takes off, mostly falling flat on its face at every turn. The absurdity of Piper dismantling the roof because it was dirty did illicit a chuckle, as did Leo's cautious words to Phoebe about her competitive streak as she held a butcher knife, but nothing gels. It's just cheap joke after cheap joke, and never has the show looked more hokey, visually, than it does here.

• House Crap

House Call-Glen returns to Paige's life with a big surprise - he is about to get married to a girl called Jessica. Meanwhile, the sisters summon a Witch Doctor whom they want to dispatch all the evil remnants that surround the Manor. Sigh. Typical writers taking what could have been a creepy, dark episode and turning it into one of those unfunny sitcoms you find on CBS. The house being haunted by those demonic manifestations certainly was cool plot, which could have allowed us to see past demons the sisters have vanquished or maybe play the episode as a homage to horror films like "The Hauning" or "Poltergist". Anything but watching a witch doctor turn the sisters into obnoxious, overbearing annoyances for an hour. The witch doctor's reasons for hexing the sisters made no sense! Considering their the Charmed Ones it makes perfect sense that a lot of demons would want to kill them and the house ultimately having all that demonic energy in it. Why would it take the whole episode for the witch doctor to realize that killing the Charmed Ones would tip the balance of Good and Evil, their the freakin' Charmed Ones, he should have known that! It's a stpuid lesson and instead of having adecent villain of the week, we get Paige going psycho on Glenn's fiance, Piper becoming the queen of germaphobes and Phoebe torturing a turkey! Yeah....awesome......Zzzzzzzzzzz. Really nothing more to say about this one. On to the next one!
  • The sisters get hexed. Once again, thank the gods for Leo.

Okay, so you just had an epic episode with Cole finally getting the great fiery shove off from the Charmed universe. Obviously, you know the next episode is going to be a bit more run of the mill. I still like this episode and found good entertainment in it. After the darkness of the last episode, this is a lighthearted, more comical version of Charmed, and it works for me for the most part. The intro with the pesky ghosts and Piper's neurotic obsession with order is well-written and great acting from Holly and Brian, as always. I am a big fan of Paige's dress up scene. She is so adorable it is practically magical. Season 5 was probably her best look though I do like the dark hair of later seasons.

The actor who plays the witch doctor is great, and the whole witch doctor story line was something original for the series. Here for once the bad guys aren't even evil. They just are misguided, sort of like the Avatars of Season 7. Paige gets the best subplot, though her first scenes with Jessica are painful to watch. Just one episode after Piper got the duty, here Paige gets to be the vengeful witch. As awkward as the first couple scenes were, I loved the scene when Paige orbs Jessica into the Pit of Doom and then tells her she pissed off a witch. Good stuff. Fortunately for the sisters, Leo was around to shake them out of it. Maybe the witch doctor should have factored him into hex. Yes, Piper and Phoebe's subplots after the hex are mostly annoying, but Brian and Rose carry this episode for me. I had no problem saying adios to Glen, but then again, no beau of Paige's ever worked for me besides Richard and Henry. And by the way, Jessica was hot.
  • All filler, no killer

A rather weak follow-up to last week's explosive story, this is another one of those episodes which starts with one plot and ends up with another.

In the first part, the sisters summon a witchdoctor to rid the Manor of poltergeists. Apparently these are the leftovers of all the demons they have vanquished in the house. So, if that's the case, how come they've never so much as moved a matchbox until now? The sisters have been blowing up demons for years!

In the second part, the witchdoctor casts a rather pointless spell to turn the sisters' flaws into obsessions. The 'infected sister' storyline has been done many times before, of course, but it's never been done this badly. Piper makes the Manor disappear, Phoebe turns someone into a turkey and Paige sends an innocent to hell! It's completely ridiculous and badly out of character. The acting is noticeably below par, with Jessica the worst culprit.

I like the character of the witchdoctor, and the guest actor isn't bad either. There are some decent effects as he reels in the ghouls and I like his interaction with Leo. However, he kind of fades away as the episode goes on and ends up with little to do.

My heart leapt when I saw Glen in the opening scene. Unfortunately, his storyline totally sucks. Glen is supposed to be this free spirit who travels the world and won't be tied down. Now here he is getting married in an empty church to someone he didn't even know a year ago. As if! Jesse Woodrow is an excellent actor and it's a real shame he has to leave the show like this.

All in all, it's a pretty half-hearted affair. I'll give it eight out of ten purely on account of Glen.
  • A very good episode

A witch doctor makes the sisters obsessions grow, and Phoebe becomes overwhelmed with the urge to kill her competitor after turning him into a turkey. Paige sends her friend's fiance to the fires of hell, and Piper vanishes the house in an effort to clean it. Their interaction with the witch doctor and their actions under his influence are hilarious, and they of course end up saving the day. Season 5 is the best season in my opinion, and this episode is a good one. "Yeah, yeah, take me to the turkey," Phoebe says, focused only on her single goal. Watch it.
  • i think this is a nice epi

An electricitl demon cause's trouble for the girls at the Manor, so they summon a witch doctor to rid their home of the evil spirits after they have vanquished so much evil in their time of beiong witches. The witch doctor suspects that the Halliwells are not truly good and steals some personal objects in order to place hexes on the girls to destroy the Charmed Ones. Meanwhile Paige is crushed to learn that her on and off again boyfriend, Glen, is getting married. And Phoebe learns that a rival columnist is not only stealing her readers but launching personal acts against her so she turns him into a turkey !!.
  • This writter should be sued.

1.5

absoulutely appauling it didn't have the Charmed umpph that it always had and all that witch doctor stuff was a whole load a crap this writter should be sued.
  • "I'm Phoebe, I Wear Slutty Outfits For No Reason!" #3 - Naked Cover Spread

1.7
    With Charmed, there are fun episodes but then, occasionally, there are just ridiculous ones. House Call falls into the latter category and, unlike most "possessed sister" episodes, is one of the most embarrassingly awful episodes in Charmed history.

The episode has a group of witch doctors putting a hex on the sisters, causing their little personal flaws to be magnified, turning each Halliwell into complete psychotics.

Phoebe's hex makes her pose nearly nude for a Stuff magazine-like pictorial and then turning her rival advice columnist from another paper into a turkey, before trying to cook him. Yes, I'm serious. Piper goes OTT with cleanliness and eventually makes the house disappear whilst Paige shapeshifts into Glen's new fiancée so she can marry him. All of the hexes are ridiculous with Phoebe's being the most laughable. I really doubt Alyssa had a good time trying to be taken seriously whilst chasing a turkey around the manor with a meat cleaver in hand.

House Call is an absolutely terrible episode which suffers from bad plotting, bad acting and bad special effects. One good comment: I really like Rose's hair in this episode; it's really 1940's-ish. Nice.
  • House call is awsome

In my opinion one of the best charmed episodes, i love it how it shows Paige using her glamouring power to kidnap Jessica and i love any episode where an outsider gets in on the secret. i can't exactly recall what Phoebe's obsession was but i liked Piper's, preparing for her baby and all, demolishing the House because she did not believe it clean enough for the most powerful baby to be born. Although i am a bit surprised that none of the neighbours noticed that one minute the house was there, the next minute the house was gone and the minute after that the house was back again.
LIFE