House Call

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 2003 on The WB

• All filler, no killer

A rather weak follow-up to last week's explosive story, this is another one of those episodes which starts with one plot and ends up with another.

In the first part, the sisters summon a witchdoctor to rid the Manor of poltergeists. Apparently these are the leftovers of all the demons they have vanquished in the house. So, if that's the case, how come they've never so much as moved a matchbox until now? The sisters have been blowing up demons for years!

In the second part, the witchdoctor casts a rather pointless spell to turn the sisters' flaws into obsessions. The 'infected sister' storyline has been done many times before, of course, but it's never been done this badly. Piper makes the Manor disappear, Phoebe turns someone into a turkey and Paige sends an innocent to hell! It's completely ridiculous and badly out of character. The acting is noticeably below par, with Jessica the worst culprit.

I like the character of the witchdoctor, and the guest actor isn't bad either. There are some decent effects as he reels in the ghouls and I like his interaction with Leo. However, he kind of fades away as the episode goes on and ends up with little to do.

My heart leapt when I saw Glen in the opening scene. Unfortunately, his storyline totally sucks. Glen is supposed to be this free spirit who travels the world and won't be tied down. Now here he is getting married in an empty church to someone he didn't even know a year ago. As if! Jesse Woodrow is an excellent actor and it's a real shame he has to leave the show like this.

All in all, it's a pretty half-hearted affair. I'll give it eight out of ten purely on account of Glen.