Charmed

How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 06, 2000 on The WB

7.9
  • How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans

How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans was a perfect episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the sisters met their Aunt who took their power behind their backs in exchange for youth. There was a lot of character and plot development as the sisters dealt with this. I liked the drama and intrigue and the confusion which Piper was feeling about being a Witch. There was a lot of family connection and heritage and history in this episode which mad for very entertaining drama and intrigues. In the end the sisters succeed in their mission. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • The tedium of decisions already made...

With the first viewing, I took this as a real downer after the ending of the Piper/Leo/Dan triangle last episode. Obviously, it is a surprising downer in that Leo isn't even in the episode.

However, after seeing it a second time, I did find more to appreciate in the episode and rated it an entire point higher.

Yes, Piper is very irksome here. We know she is the sister who really regrets being a witch, but this attempt to abandon her duties, and her sisters, while a demon is on the loose goes beyond the understandable frustration her character is feeling. It is frankly selfish to the point of being ridiculous. BTW, her situation with Leo and Dan has nothing to do with her being a witch. It is a bed she made without the help of magic. Anyway, if you can get over Piper's behavior this episode, then there are actually some good things to be had here. Crito is a somewhat cool demon who doesn't hesitate to turn the witches who summoned him into piles of ash (who didn't see that one coming?). Typically, it is warlocks who want the sisters' powers, not demons, but we can get over that. The best part of the show is when the sisters twice overcome Crito even though he has their powers. They actually manage to use their powers, and what Crito doesn't know about them, against him. I also love when Phoebe says, "I still have a power he doesn't," and her martial arts ability becomes a big key in vanquishing him.

I initially was really irritated with the prolonged break up with Dan, but actually, it was a good decision by the writers to give that relationship the time it deserved. The entire break up was realistically handled, and whether I wanted to see it or not, it is a credit to the show that Dan and Piper's relationship wasn't just forgotten about. Now on to better things!
  • A group of elderly women who wish to regain their youth and vitality need the power of The Charmed Ones to make it happen.

I liked the fact that this episode was something different. There was more focus on the older generation than just on the girls and the evil that constantly surrounds them because it certainly makes it interesting when the evil is an old friend of your grandmother's who is trying to steal The Book Of Shadows!

Aunt Gayle, and two women want to regain their youth. The would-be witches summon the demon Kryto, who promises them the return of their youth if Gayle will deliver the power of The Charmed Ones. Needless to say, he is lying to them and they start dying rather than getting younger. It's sad, however, when the girls have to face the fact that Gram's friend was using them as they can never forgive her. Not that it matters because she doesn't last long anyway.

Certainly worth watching.
  • The Charmed Ones vs....The Golden Girls?

4.6
    How To Make a Quilt Out of Americans-A group of three elderly witches, one of them close friends of the Halliwells' grandmother, summon a demon to restore their youth. However, in return, the demon wants the powers of the Charmed Ones. Phoebe: "Good witches don't freeze."

An episode that feels as old as dirt (pun intented!), "How To Make a Ridiculous Long Title" sees the sisters' Grams' friend stop by and using them to get their powers for a demon so she and her friends could become young. While Anne Haney (Aunt Gail) gives a good performance I guess, the storyline just drags for ages and never interests. Aunt Gail outsmarted the sisters way too easy and they should have been more suspecious earlier on. Cameron Bancroft (Cryto) is a lousy villain and even when the sisters lose their powers to him his still boring. I guess it's interesting watching the sisters battling a demon without their powers and using their knowledge of their powers to outsmart him but it just doesn't come off strong on screen.

Piper's little dilemma is the most interesting plot of the episode. It would make sense that she's had enough with being a witch since she can't even solve her issues with Leo and Dan without their being a demon attack every second. Holly really convinces with Piper's frustration over the situation and it's one she'll continue to deal with throughout the series. The big break-up scene between Piper and Dan was acutally well done and dare I say Greg Vaughan was actually given a chance to act! You kinda feel bad for Dan despite being him being devoid of any personality. So to sum it all up, Aunt Gail and her girls go dead, Cyrto goes proof, and Dan gets dumped, All and All, an episode that dies of old age before it's over!
  • Three grannies use the Charmed Ones to summon a demon that "promise" them eternal youth. In the words of La Prue, don't these innocents EVER LEARN?

A lot of people don't like this episode for some reason but I enjoyed it very much. It's one of the little enjoyable gems of season 2. The demon is encountered in a different setting and through a better developed plot other than just having the usual demon attacks innocent in alleyway, girls go hunt it down, vanquish it in house and have pizza at P3 or whatever.

After an old friend of Grams the girls call Aunt Gail comes to the manor requesting help to stop some demon/supernatural activity in her town (apparently someone's been skinning recent graves) the girls decide to go to investigate. It's very cheesy of me, but I think it's very cute to see the Halliwells go on a little road trip and have the sisterly dynamics show through here. There is a useless plot about Phoebe and glasses but no one really cares about it.

What the girls don't know is that Aunt Gail and her two friends have been the ones skinning the corposes in order to ressurrect the demon Cryto and gain eternal youth. She's not really a magical witch, but still practices the craft and has enough magical resources to summon him and steal the girls' powers for him. Of course it's predictable where this is going and before you know it Cryto toasts the other 2 grannies and threatens a now young Gail to get the Charmed Ones (whose powers had been stripped through some weird iced tea mix). The earlier scene where they're given the power stripping iced tea is kind of humorous since you can see how Prue doesn't buy any of it (and blocks one of the ladies from pouring more) contrasted with Aunt Gail's desperate and greedy lust for their powers and her youth.

Another good element of this episode is the element of grayness. People often complain this show portrays people as either totally good or totally evil and this is one of those episodes where we have people in the middle. Although Aunt Gail desperately tries to strip the Charmed Ones' powers, she also seems to care about their well-being and doesn't want Cryto to hurt them. We also see her motivation for wanting eternal youth: she's old, lonely, and sick with a lot of medical bills. It didn't excuse what she had done, but by the episode's end she pays with her own life to redeem herself.

It also shows that the Charmed Ones are more than just their powers, but also their strategic and brave wit. They were able to defeat a demon who stole their four powers (Prue had Astral Projection by this point in the series) despite being powerless. Then again, demons in this series are almost just as dumb as their innocents and for some reason are able to buy a fake freeze.

Good episode and in my opinion highly underrated.
  • Youth has its price...

Three old ladies summon the demon of vanity Cryto and promise to resurrect him, exchanging for health, beauty and youth for the senior trio. Cryto makes a further demand of magical powers, and one of the ladies, Aunt Gail, offers the abilities of the Charmed Ones. Aunt Gail visits the Halliwell sisters, steals one spell from the Book of Shadows to transfer the powers of witches and betrays the naive sisters. Piper finally tells Dan her choice for Leo.

"How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans" is a reasonable episode of "Charmed", where Prue, Piper and Phoebe are easily deceived by an old friend of their grandmother. The argument of the old sick woman trying to be young again and finding the price of the lost youth is weak and even silly.
  • What's wrong with face cream?

So there are people over the age of forty in San Francisco (or at least nearby). I was beginning to wonder!

Despite the lame title, this was a good idea for an episode, and the sight of three old ladies using black magic to summon a demon was quite disturbing. Cryto was a pretty interesting demon too, and the way he betrayed the women straight away was cool.

Unfortunately, the acting really didn't hit the spot this week. The woman playing Helen was dreadful and even the three leads were below par. There were problems with the script too. I know Piper has always been wary of her witchhood but the way she suddenly announced she was giving up and didn't want her power back was way out of character. She is forever using her power for her own ends and, besides, she's still a witch so the warlocks will keep on coming. Not well plotted.

It wasn't all bad, though. The way they dispensed with Cryto was very clever, tricking him into using Prue's astral projection power in order to pour a potion down his throat. I liked that. No silly sub plots either.

I'm also glad Piper finally broke up with Dan. The writers do let dead relationships linger far too long (think Prue and Andy).

So far the Charmed Ones have had their powers copied, given them up voluntarily and had them switched, but this is the first time they have had them stolen. This is also the first episode in which Prue doesn't once use her powers.
  • Boring and unoriginal and everything else that is supposed to describe a terrible episode.

Prue, Piper and Phoebe are visited by an old family friend, Aunt Gail. Aunt Gail asks the Charmed Ones to help to stop a demon named Cryto who steals the skin from corpses. The Halliwell sisters learn that their Aunt has betrayed them, trading their powers for eternal youth and beauty. As the Charmed Ones plot to regain their powers, Piper has doubts about wanting her powers back at all claiming that being a witch is keeping her from a chance at true love. This is my least favourite episode of Charmed, it was boring unoriginal and just plain boring i was a bit annoyed that i wasted my time on this silly episode.
  • boring

1.1
    Why would you make a deal with a demon. I know they wanted to be young and all but still he was a demon. And why would you want eternal youth. How would you explain that to non magic folk. o i'm not ageing because I made a deal with a demon. Death and being old is part of life.
  • The Power of Three Old Hags

3.1
    A mixed bag of an episode which features good use of a new setting and an interesting story idea, but which lacks any drive and ends up being an extremely drawn-out hour which didn't serve much purpose.

How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans has the sisters being called on by their Aunt Gail to investigate a demon who has been stealing skins from her neighbors in her town. In truth, Gail and her two friends magically remove the sister's powers as an offering to the demon Cryto, who can restore youth.

It's nice to see Charmed reaching out of its San Francisco setting and it's good to see some extending of the Charmed mythology, showing the audience what the magical situation was like when Grams and Patty were alive. Despite some promising ideas, the whole episode sort of falls flat and the predicament of whether or not the sisters should even try to get their powers back was probably interesting when this episode first aired, but it's been repeated so many times on the show since, that it's just boring to watch now.

Rating: C-
  • it was good

i thought it was cool (sort of) i thought it was cool how the old peo ple made the demon person. it was cool how they (the charmed ones) got the demon person o use there powers when they didnt have them. that was cool. but i ddint like the 3 old ppl. they were sort of wierd. they shouldnt have trusted the demon person to give them eternal life. that was stupid.
  • Overall an average episode, the plot was nice but not fantastic but I did like the end :P

The plot line of three elderly witches not real ones with powers like the sisters but more people who like to try witchcraft. Anyhow, one of them was their aunt and was a close friend to their grandmother and her name was aunt Gail.
    They summon a demon that will make them young again but in order to do that they have to give this demon a body (which they will create for him by using a puppet and using fake skin to cover it.). Anyhow, the other point was that he wants power and aunt Gail says she can give him, preminitions, the ability to freeze and telekenisis. So she befriends the sisters but they are suspicious, especially Piper. But the three elder women take their powers and Prue and Phoebe want their powers back but Piper's not sure. In the end they convince her so they use the fact that this demon doesn't know about Prue's ability to astral project. They trap him and take his powers away from him and retrieve them. And aunt Gail and her two friends are dead too, they were killed when this demon turned on them. Overall a nice episode but nothing really special.

WHat I did like was the personal aspect in this episode of Piper wanting to break up with Dan. I had no problems with that :) Go Leo! XD