Charmed

How to Make a Quilt Out of Americans

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 06, 2000 on The WB

7.9
  • The tedium of decisions already made...

With the first viewing, I took this as a real downer after the ending of the Piper/Leo/Dan triangle last episode. Obviously, it is a surprising downer in that Leo isn't even in the episode.

However, after seeing it a second time, I did find more to appreciate in the episode and rated it an entire point higher.

Yes, Piper is very irksome here. We know she is the sister who really regrets being a witch, but this attempt to abandon her duties, and her sisters, while a demon is on the loose goes beyond the understandable frustration her character is feeling. It is frankly selfish to the point of being ridiculous. BTW, her situation with Leo and Dan has nothing to do with her being a witch. It is a bed she made without the help of magic. Anyway, if you can get over Piper's behavior this episode, then there are actually some good things to be had here. Crito is a somewhat cool demon who doesn't hesitate to turn the witches who summoned him into piles of ash (who didn't see that one coming?). Typically, it is warlocks who want the sisters' powers, not demons, but we can get over that. The best part of the show is when the sisters twice overcome Crito even though he has their powers. They actually manage to use their powers, and what Crito doesn't know about them, against him. I also love when Phoebe says, "I still have a power he doesn't," and her martial arts ability becomes a big key in vanquishing him.

I initially was really irritated with the prolonged break up with Dan, but actually, it was a good decision by the writers to give that relationship the time it deserved. The entire break up was realistically handled, and whether I wanted to see it or not, it is a credit to the show that Dan and Piper's relationship wasn't just forgotten about. Now on to better things!
TNT