Charmed

Hyde School Reunion

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 14, 2004 on The WB

• The two faces of Phoebe

Phoebe and Paige go to a school reunion bash and Piper introduces Chris to her father. Not for the first time, it's a case of the subplot outshining the main plot.

Phoebe's story is a rehash of several earlier episodes. Her younger self is clearly based on the teenage Prue we saw in Season Two and the school reunion thing was done by Piper in Season Three. It's quite entertaining but definite filler material. I always enjoy spells so it was good to see Phoebe casting them so openly.

The crazy gang thing was a good idea but the story was weak. The bloke playing Rick couldn't act, and there was no way he'd accept magic that readily. I also can't believe the Charmed Ones killed him at the end. Surely the elders would have something to say about that, not to mention the police?

It's Piper's story that really steals the show. Becoming five months pregnant in three weeks doesn't seem to be an issue so she decides to introduce Chris to her father. It's good to see James Read again and I have to say this is his best performance to date. Some of his expressions are priceless and I laughed out loud when he thought Piper could summon Chris from the womb. The scenes between the two men are also nicely done.

Almost forgot to say there are some demons as well. They shoot green goo from their mouths. They have nothing to do with either story (save for the end when they help vanquish Rick) but they are fun to watch.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go along with the majority and say it was the Chris scenes which saved the episode for me. That and hearing the nickname 'Freebie' again. Not heard that since Season One. Nice continuity!