Charmed

I Dream of Phoebe

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 15, 2004 on The WB

• I Dream of Phoebe

I Dream of Phoebe was a superb episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development. It was very interesting to learn of Chris's true origins, to see the powers of a genie used again, and for Paige and Richard to deal with his problem. There was lots of action, drama and intrigue along with some humor, serious moments and of course magic. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • I Dream Of A Better Series!

I Dream of Phoebe-When Phoebe frees a genie from a bottle, she soon finds that she must take the genie's place. Meanwhile, anxious to put Leo and Piper back together, Chris uses Phoebe to make his wish come true, but she takes his instructions too literally.

Phoebe in yet another silly costume!! You can always tell the quality in a Charmed episode by how little Phoebe has to wear or some tacky costume the writers have forced poor Alyssa Milano to wear. I mean come on, Alyssa, your a producer at this point, tell these people they are embarrassing you week by week on national television and it needs to stop! Besides, they writers already did a Genie episode, a relatively "good" Genie episode, so why is this "I Dream of Genie"knockoff forced down our throats!! Barbara Eden wouldn't be amused! The whole plot is your typical Charmed fluff, Phoebe gets a premonition (yeah, she actually still gets those!!) about a woman being attacked by a demon, leaving her and Chris to go to some where in Arabia or whatever and they find Jenny...The Genie.....*headdesk* I also find the Aladdin mythology silly on Charmed with the 40 theives being demons. Jenny turning out to be a demon all along was a decent twist I guess but things just go downhill once Phoebe gets turned into a Genie.

If that wasn't bad enough, we have Chris on a sick and disturbing crusade to get Piper and Leo to sleep together so he cane be concieved in time. I don't know whether this was suppose to be intended as funny but if the was, the writers have a messed up sense of humor. Not only it it not funny, but it's extremely jarring considering we just found out who Chris really is. One week, he's barely in the sisters' lives and the nexr, he's forcing one of them to sleep with an Elder. Yeah, I know their his parents but still, give us time to explore this knew revelation, not make cheap jokes about wanting your parents to have sex. I still believe the writers pulled this development out their a$$ as we as an audience were given no hints as to who Chris really was. Sure, he and Wyatt had a past in the future, but still, it was pretty vague and this is a pretty big development for not even giving the fans a bit of clue to Chris' being Piper and Leo's son. It's also pathetic watching Chris trying to break up Piper's date with Greg! It's funny considering in "Prince Charmed" only a few episodes ago, Chris wanted Piper to dtae so she wouldn't give up on love. Phoebe during her agrument with Chris at the beginning is the only thing that made sense in this episode: Chris' plans were terrible! He's the one who forced his parents to split! He's the one who sent Leo to Vahalla! He's the one whose been keeping secrets to the point that have caused unforseen consequences! Now all of sudden he wants Piper and Leo to bone? *HEAD-FREAKIN'-DESK*

If that wasn't bad enough we get Paige and Richard going at it about his powers. At this point, I couldn't careless about Richard or his supposed dangerous usage of magic. I glad the writers finally rapped up this relationship with Richard stripping himself of his powers and both deciding to break-up. It was long time coming and maybe with Richard gone Paige can become more independent and less of a ditzy, overportective girlfriend?.........NOPE! I did love the Piper and Leo moment toward the end. Even with all the suck around them, Holly and Brian always remind us that Piper and Leo's relationship is the only redeeming thing about the series. But besides that, 'I Dream of Phoebe" is as gimmicky and pathetic as Charmed can get!

• Interesting Episode!

Ginny tricked Phoebe to help the Genie to get free so Ginny can control the world! How comes Ginny want Phoebe? Because Phoebe is one of the Charmed Ones. Chris gets to be master of Genie Phoebe for while, very interesting! When Phoebe freed Ginny and Ginny became evil~! Weird! Ginny acted very nice as Genie, which not made sense! Chris want his parents to sleep together thought Piper's boyfriend caught her sleep with her ex-husband. Piper's boyfriend was never heard of it again and left Piper's life! I am happy for Chris! Phoebe became blonde in this episode so she got her chance to wear another hair color, thought it is wig! Great episode!
  • A hot genie, a mad demon, and Leo's love to the rescue once again.

Season 6 reaches its pinnacle in this episode and the following one, before the terrific season finale. For one thing, we have a tremendously pretty genie who in a terrific twist becomes a hot demon bent on becoming all powerful. Stupid name or not, Jinny makes a fantastic bad guy. I am always for attractive female bads cast in opposition to the sisters. Secondly, we have the wrap up of Richard's storyline, which I think we were all glad to see end. And that means only 4 episodes after the idiotic split of the sisters, that moronic story arc mercifully ends and the sisters are all back at Halliwell manor. We also have Chris, Phoebe and then Paige all talking openly about who Chris is and the mission to reunite his parents. I hated that Piper was still dating Greg after recent events, but I loved how Chris pretty much ended their relationship by manipulating his parents together. And of course, it was a miracle that he did, since it ended up saving the Charmed Ones.

In a rather shocking turn of events, Richard ends up killing the sisters at Jinny's wish. Great acting by the much-maligned Drew Fuller during this scene. Fortunately, Leo had an arm around Piper, and she called to him as her soul floated away. Leo even while asleep healed her, saving all of them. The sisters learning their lesson from past ghosts and using that against the demon was also very smartly done. And of course that all led to the final scene where we saw Piper and Leo edging closer to being together again, what most of us have been waiting for.
  • A tricky Genie? Go Figure!

Continuing in their recent rehash of old things, the writers have decided to go the way of Barara Eden. THe writing was pretty good which is more than I can say for the effects.

We begin with Phoebe barging into the Bay Mirror and running into Chris. We learn he is trying to pinpoint his conception date but knows it is this month. I swear this kid should be placed in school because he messed up big time and now is scrambling to fix it. Two bones to pick: THe way Chris refers to his parents conceiving him is totally disgusting and vulgar for their own child to say."Screw?" ANd secondly Phoebe did hit on you but maybe you decided to block that out because total ewww. SHe is reluctant to help him and I would be too. THis scene shifts tones when she gets a vision of some lady begging for mercy. Over in the "Middle East" P and C investigate the scene. Two sword armed men come in and Phoebe throws potions on them. I guess demons have a different dress code in Egypt. A terrible flying carpet comes in and Feebs throws a potion. THat thing is so bad, the effects crew should have been fired. THere are no words to describe how revolting that effect was. THey make up for it when Phoebe rubs the bottle a pink tornado appears to reveal a genie.

We pick up with major bickering. Phoebe doesnt want the genie, CHris wants Piper home and Leo wants to send CHris home. GIve it up, go up to Elderland and stay there. Leo orbs away, thankfully, but CHris wants to follow him. Phoebes wishes he wouldnt. Ok that was an easy slip up, I will let it slide. Paige comes home in a rather disgusting ensemble. WHats with the green thing,Rose? Richy Rich is putting spells on her. SHe is thrown into this absolutely beautiful black evening dress and her hair is up. I have seen this dress before, Oh its the dress used for the promos shots this season. Rose looks stunning and I wish she would always where an evening gown because she works it like theres no tomorrow. ANyway Phoebe gets stuck with the Genie.

Over at Grease Monkey Apt. Piper and Him are macking. It is vomit inducing. SHe gets pulled away by Chris. Paige tries to deal with Richy Rich but its futile. THe guy is like Cole the Second. Over at the manor The demon with the carpet bursts through the windows. I have to admit that was a pretty good shot. Phoebe wishes genie free and who would have thought the chick was evil. She is one of my favorite characters, well demon characters. SHe flies away but CHris got the bottle. WHo is in it? Phoebe naturally.

Her outfit is quite nice compared to other crap she has been in. Chris is her master, which sounds very wrong. SHe has this wicked cool blue tornado effect. Leo decides to ruin the scene with his suspicion of Chris. WIsh him dead please. He does wish for Leo to forgive Chris. Phoebes hand movements are close to the original Genie from the show but not exactly. Jinny regroups and wants to find the lost magical city she previously mentioned. Paige tries again to deal with Richy Rich but fails.

Chris wants to wish his parents to sleep together but Phoebe thinks its wrong,as do I. She does it but since they are tricksters, they actually fall asleep. CHris is furious and sends Phoebe in the bottle. LAter on CHris uses this to his advantage to make the Grease monkey leave her alone. Its a cute scene but whatever. An extremely impressive fight scene takes place. Jinny and her band of idiots shimmer in. Paige and CHris fight. Its choreographed nicely and the effects are impressive. People are flying around like crazy. Paige does her orbing thing and traps Jinny but RIchy Rich gets the bottle. Phoebe knocks the bottle over and tornadoes out. I thought they had to be rubbed or commanded out of the bottle. Richy Rich is going bonkers. Paige makes a stripping potion for RIchy Rich ANd orbs over to his house. Alyysa Milano is hilarious as a genie and really shines through on her comedic genius. Rich knocks Paige out. At the manor Jinny freed herself and threatens CHris. Its very intense but not for nothing couldnt he have just sent her flying with his power. Jinny gets the bottle but before that RIchy Rich wished Phoebe free and now he is a genie. Jinny wishes the Charmed Ones dead and I was floored. THat blew me away. Just the way she delivered that line was insane. Drew Fuller graces us with his impressive acting skills and I mean that. He did a great job with this scene. He is crying and his voice is cracking, so emotional, I got teary also. Leo somehow heard Pipers cry for help which I guess is the writers way of saying "THeir love is transcendent" which stopped Jinnys wish. THey dont move on which helps them fight Jinny.

Wrap up: Phoebe and Paige haunt Jinny. Phoebe enters Jinny and wishes her back in the bottle. Now I would have thought that would have trapped Phoebe also but I guess not. RIchard saves the day in a way. THe effect scene of Zanbaar rising was ok. Not the best thing but not worse than those flying carpets. RIchy RIch decided to take the potiona nd he is out of the show for good. CHris gets pissy but Feebs reassures him that there is a lot of love between those two.
  • Mayhem in a bottle

As soon as I saw Phoebe pick up that vase I thought we were in for a boring remake of the Season Two finale. Just goes to show how wrong you can be. It's not the first time the Charmed Ones have mistakenly freed a demon but having the genie turn out to be the baddie is inspired. The result is probably the funniest episode since "The Truth is Out There...."

The action is non-stop as first Phoebe becomes a genie then Richard. At times it's hard to keep track of the master but I was always on the edge of my seat waiting for the next wish. In a brilliant twist, the demon wishes the Charmed Ones dead, only for Phoebe to possess her and send her back to the bottle. It's well written and well directed, and the acting is first class.

The only slight downside is the rather cheesy desert setting. We've had worse, but do we really need flying carpets to prove it's Arabia? The idea of resurrecting a lost city isn't bad but it's kind of wasted with everything else that's going on. To be fair, though, the graphics aren't bad.

For the first time, Chris is able to speak candidly and his opening scene with Phoebe is nicely acted. Turns out he now needs to get Leo and Piper together in time for him to be conceived. This forms a strong subplot for the whole hour and serves up some great humour. Paige's reaction when she finds out he wished for his parents to sleep together is priceless, as is Leo's sudden bout of chumminess (which sees Brian at his absolute best).

As if any more humour were needed, Richard keeps conjuring outfits and jewellery for Paige. It's a real shame this is his last episode as he is finally becoming a worthwhile character. Still, at least he gets to go out on a high.

This episode really is a gem. "You look tense, master. Neck rub?" Hehehe.
  • Favorite and Funniest

Every main character in this episode was hilarious, especially Chris and Pheobe. The concept of this episode is that Chris needs to be conceived before he disappears forever. So what he says and do in this episode is funnier than any other episode including him. Phoebe's genie costume was bizarre mostly because of the blonde hair. Her funniest quote on this epi would have to be when she asked her nephew Chris, "did I ever hit on you?" The storyline was well thought out and written. This episode is a brilliant example how and why Charmed lasted for eight seasons.
  • Charmed is known for episodes like this. Spoiler warning!

I dislike how the show keeps contradicting itself, especially in this episode. Other than that, it's fabulous.

In the original episode with genies many seasons ago, some ground rules for genies in the Charmed universe were set. This episode foolishly contradicts all those rules previously made (as can be seen in the episode trivia). That makes it hard to watch for any die-hard fan who remembers the earlier episode (with French Stewart, I believe.)

Other than that, it's wonderful. Classic Charmed. Phoebe is some weird creature in a slutty costume, Paige is trying to deal with a magical mishap, Piper has love issues, and Chris is as fun as ever. The interactions between him and Phoebe are great in this episode. I loved Paige's reaction and how Chris told her. That was great.

Worthy!
  • Chris went to Phepe for help him to get his parents back together because if he did not conseve in the next two weeks he will dis apper for ever so phepe refuse to help him he told her that she prefer to help strenger rather than help him

Hi

I love this episode of charmed very much .It's the most wanderfule in the entire season . Ginny tricked Phoebe to help the Genie to get free so Ginny can control the world! How comes Ginny want Phoebe? Because Phoebe is one of the Charmed Ones. Chris gets to be master of Genie Phoebe for while, very interesting! When Phoebe freed Ginny and Ginny became evil ! Weird! Ginny acted very nice as Genie, which not made sense! Chris want his parents to sleep together thought Piper's boyfriend caught her sleep with her ex-husband. Piper's boyfriend was never heard of it again and left Piper's life! I am happy for Chris! Phoebe became blonde in this episode so she got her chance to wear another hair color, thought it is wig! Great episode! Retshard apper in this episode too.I love it .
  • A new character to be tranformed into.

7.6
    Huh.

I left all my plans out today so I can have a nice long Charmed marathon and I noticed how special this episode is.

Out of all the characters the Charmed ones have turned into I don't know why the Jeannie gets to me that much but what I do not like is that Phoebe gets all the good transformations.
    The mermaid,Cinderella and the Jeannie.

Anyway this was a very fun episode.

It's always nice to go back to the world of Arabia and discover new things.

And hey it was very fun to see a Jeannie go bad.

Fun to watch yet all about Phoebe which I am sure would annoy all Piper and Paige fans like me.

I am a Piper fan.

Anyways good addition to the Charmed character hall of fame and not bad writing so it will get a

B+

and 3 out of five stars.

P.S this marathon was not on television, I have the show on DVD.
  • Interesting episode.

Any way in the last episode, Phoebe knew about Chris, and then in this episode Paige knew, because Chris had to tell Paige.

Ohhhh!!! Chris look upset when Phoebe and Paige just about die. Lol poor Chris. When Phoebe and Paige didn’t move on they were asking each other whether there is any unfinished business, and Paige was like yes you didn’t tell me I got a nephew. Lol very funny.

I love the ending, that was really funny scene where Phoebe wanted to know why they didn’t move on, and Chris expression was real funny, “great you wanted to know why you didn’t die but not about me….” Then Phoebe gave him this look!!! Lol then chris say “it doesn’t matter”, because it wasn’t that Phoebe didn’t wanna tell them but Chris was the one who always wanted to keep it a secret because it may effect the future, or something like that. Well that is what I think.

I’m starting to like Chris, I thought he was so mean!!! Also I thought he was bad guy because he is always working with a demon. Now once they knew about Chris, he isn’t too bad.
  • Another chance for Milano to be blond and bare...

Spoilers...

For the last few seasons, it seems Milano couldn't escape being turned into something blonde and bare. This episode is no different as Phoebe works to rescue a "damsel in distress" genie. It turns out the genie is actually just waiting to dupe the next person so she herself can be free, kill her previous master, and unearth the magical lost city. It's a cute story but nothing too special.

For Leo and Piper fans, which I admittedly am, this episode did hold a tidbit of hope for their eventual reunion. As Chris hopes to bring his parents together so that he can exist, his parents literally "sleep" together (a trick of the genie Phoebe). While sleeping, Paige and Phoebe fight off the genie and end up dying. They never leave the earthly plane though because Piper, having called out to Leo, "hears" her and heals her in his sleep. Her life saved, the spell was in limbo, and the girls never died. In the end, it was this that enabled the girls to defeat the evil genie. The scene where Leo heals Piper clearly steals the show and is only rivaled by the later scene when Leo asks Piper if she wants to join him to pick up Wyatt and they go off to get him. It bodes well for the future.
  • phoebe releases a genie from a bottle..... but turns out to be evil!!!

Phoebe releases a genie from a bottle and the genie turns out to be evil. The genie wants to find the lost city of zanbar to rule it.. while the genie is discovering Zanbar Phoebe is a genie from releasing the other genie and Chris is her "master" after he held the bottle Phoebe became a genie and got into her bottle. So because of the master Chris he gets three wishes from Phoebe he wishes that Piper and Leo sleep together but, Phoebe takes the wish too literaly and makes them actually "sleep" together,
    which leaves only Phoebe, Paige and Chris to ge the genie back into her bottle, the girls and Chris finally hatch a plan after the genie wished the charmed ones dead but they did not die they didnt move on. But Leo saved the day becasue while him and Piper were sleeping together he healed Piper which healed Paige and Phoebe.The girls posess genie and wish for Zanbar to be gone and Richard makes the wish come true as he wished Phoebe free from before.Then the genie possesed by Phoebe wishes the charmed ones alive again then genie gets put back in her bottle and Zanbar is returned to where it belongs "LOST"
  • The episode entitled, ‘I Dream of Phoebe’ focused on a genie and her desire to become free and unearth a magical city.

Unbeknownst to Phoebe, freeing the genie means taking her place. Phoebe once again becomes a blonde and takes the genie’s place.

This episode also focused on Chris and his desperate attempt to be conceived. He must get Piper and Leo back together before it’s too late. When he wished for them to sleep together, I cracked up. Thunk….thunk….there goes Leo and Piper, asleep on the floor. That was great.

I was surprised to see Paige find out who Chris really is. I thought the writers might drag that out a little bit more. It was a welcome surprise. I also loved the way Chris tells Paige, momentarily leaving her believing that he is some kind of perverted psycho.

As for Paige and Richard, it looked to me like a breakup, but who knows. They didn’t come out and say it, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing any more of Richard.

Overall, I would give this episode a 10 out of 10. It kept me on my toes and had me laughing the whole time.
  • Not the best, not the worst

7.8
    Not the best charmed episode ever created but its good enough to watch.

The mistake Chris makes when asking for Piper and Leo to sleep together is quite amusing, you can see the cheekiness in Pheobe's eyes. And when Chris tells Paig what he's done its funny to see her reaction.
  • "I'm Phoebe, I Wear Slutty Outfits For No Reason!" #5 - Horny Genie

7.1
    Despite being another episode with Phoebe wearing close to nothing, I Dream of Phoebe (neat title) is actually an enjoyable dose of Charmed which gives all the cast something to do, which is good for everybody.

The episode has Phoebe releasing a sexy genie from a bottle and having to take her place. But when the genie is revealed to be evil and planning to raise an ancient society in some Arabic desert, the sisters have to stop her and rescue Phoebe. Meanwhile, Chris tries to get Leo and Piper back together...

It's been ages since we had a tough female bad guy who wasn't a dumb blonde with a serious sex addiction and Jinny (despite the awful name) is one of the most memorable femme fatale's on the show. Phoebe is hilarious when she is turned into a genie and the constant references to I Dream of Jeannie are also funny. Chris' subplot was also well handled and the revelation that he is Piper and Leo's son is also well written and Paige discovering his identity is also a good story development.

This episode also marks the departure of Richard. I'm sure nobody will miss him, since Balthazar Getty played him like everything he did was as dramatic as opening a can of soda. I Dream of Phoebe appeared like it would be another trivial, lame episode of Charmed but ends up being an entertaining hour, well, as good as Charmed can be at the moment.

Rating: B
  • Phoebe, Phoebe, Phoebe- this season was just all about her! Weakest episode of Season 6.

I found this the weakest episode of Season 6 because I just thought it was pointless- a genie again?! Hello, they had another genie episode in season 2.

I feel like Season 6 is just all about Alyssa Milano- most of the episodes are named after her, she gets a new power, etc... Id like all the attention to shift to Holly next time.

A weak Charmed episode- the season is the weakest in my opinion.

Not impressed with this one- Id grade it C.
  • Some part were funny

This episode was just an okay episode for me. It had its funny moments but overall it was just kind of silly. The best part of the episode was when Chris whished his parents sleep together and thats exactly what they did ... sleep. The only other real giggle was when the guy Piper was seeing came to see Piper and he came into the house and made Leo's arm wrap around Piper. In doing do Chris actually saved Piper. Though Chris didn't get the wish he intended when he wished it still was funny and all worked itself out in later episodes.
LIFE