Charmed

Imaginary Fiends

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 08, 2005 on The WB

• LEAVE MY FAMILY ALONE!

Leave my family alone!

What an episode! This is the first Wyatt based storyline in a while and, boy, is it worth the wait. The plot is one of the most original of the series and the action is quite literally explosive.

Adult Wyatt is an absolute dude. The scene where he vanquishes those demons in the attic has to be my favourite of the whole series. It's just awesome. What I would give to be able to do that! Wes Ramsey is neither as chilling nor as brawny as he is in Chris-Crossed but he is very convincing as good Wyatt and I found myself rooting for him the whole time.

The plot is every bit as enjoyable as the action. With little Wyatt unwilling to speak to anyone except an imaginary friend, Piper casts a spell to communicate with him, which whisks his adult self back from the future. Turns out he isn't talking to himself, he's talking to an invisible demon. This is a brilliant twist, as is the idea of having the demon curse little Wyatt's teddy bear. What better way to get to a young child than to curse his toy? Superb! I also loved that Leo had to earn back Wyatt's trust to lift the curse. It made for a very touching ending.

Dark though it is, there is also some wonderful comedy. The reference to Chris swallowing the marble is hilarious, particularly Piper's reaction (in fact, Holly is great throughout). We also get a very good guest actor as the head demon, although I'm less convinced about the sidekick.

This instalment gives some much needed closure to the 'is Wyatt evil?' storyline, which is all the more important when you bear in mind the show was originally expected to end in a few episodes' time. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Score: 9.7