Charmed

It's a Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 16, 2004 on The WB

• SINS OF THE FATHER

Sins of the father

An absolute blinder to end the season. The sisters are trapped in a warped version of reality, Chris dies and gets born on the same day and Leo finally gets his revenge on Gideon. The plot is superb and the action is gripping throughout, with some real surprises at the end. It doesn't get much better than this.

The world's morals are seriously screwed up by the shift in power, resulting in one of the most inventive plots of the series. The relentless happiness and false smiles are really disturbing and to see Piper as part of it is frightening. I'd rather they hadn't infected Paige and Phoebe too but, that said, Rose McGowan is excellent as bubbly Paige.

When Gideon teams up with Barbas, the action really escalates and the last few scenes are amazing. Nice to see Wes Ramsey back as grown up Wyatt. Bold move to kill off Chris but I guess he was leaving anyway so why not?

Leo is the undisputed hero this week and it's he who calls the shots. He also displays some fantastic new powers. I absolutely love it when he gets all kickarse like this. For me, seeing him electrocute Gideon is one of the defining moments of this show. The range of emotions Brian goes through is amazing and I'd rate this as easily his best performance so far.

There are some great individual scenes. The way Phoebe and Leo whisk back the curtain to see their evil selves is storming, and Chris's death is full-on tragic. Interestingly, his birth is handled very differently to Wyatt's. No orbs or demons this time, just a regular birth in a hospital. It's the perfect ending to an hour of madness.

This season, the Charmed Ones and their associates manage to vanquish a whopping 102 demons, 8 darklighters, 2 warlocks, 2 mortals, 2 phantasms, 1 elder, 1 banshee, 1 evil witch and 1 headless horseman. That's a total of 120 evil beings, making this their bloodiest season so far. And all this despite making only one vanquish in the first five episodes.

Which way now indeed.