Charmed

It's a Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 16, 2004 on The WB

• Clash of the Elders

It's a Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad World, Par 2-Gideon creates a portal that puts Chris and Leo in a mirrored world where evil prevails, and Phoebe and Paige travel to the parallel universe to rescue them. Meanwhile, Piper gives birth to baby Chris.

Definately the better half of the season finale, although still nothing really amazing about it. It's about as good as Charmed can get during these later years anyway. The performances in this episode are definately better than the last, Rose McGowan manages to control her over the top mannerisms and convinces in most of her scenes this episode despite that awful performance at the end of Part 1. The whole cast seems like their taking the material more seriously, even though the whole evil world plot is as silly as can be. With Gideon's failed attempt on Wyatt, he teams up with....Barbas....and plans yet another way to kill Wyatt. I do have to admit, the gleefully good world the sisters are stuck in it's pretty hilarious. The hospital scenes in particular have some disturbingly funny moments like the doctor threatening to rip offPaige and Phoebe's knee caps. But once Piper and Paige are put under Piper's spell, the episode begins to suffer. God, I think Paige and Phoebe could anymore annoying! Rose especially seemed like she was phoning in her "Mary Sue" performance, this time..I don't blame her.

Probably the most effective part of the episode was Chris' death, especially sacrificing himself to save Wyatt. yes, I don't like Chris and still don't but his death was kinda heartbreaking, especially when Leo is at his bedside when he fads away. Paige's tears were also effective, especially considering I thought Rose McGowan forgot how to act. After that, we get Leo's meltdown in the attic which is pretty jarring since when did Leo have lightning powers?! O_0 Anyway, this all leads to a showdown between Gideon and Leo which is pretty badass, since we never get to see Leo let loose and kick some a$$! While is still makes no sense that Leo has these powers, Gideon's death is brutal and shcoking. I also liked how it paralled with Paige breaking the news to Phoebe, it builded some great tension and seeing Phoebe snap at the doctor was refreshing, especially seeing Alyssa put in a good performance for once. Haven't seen Phoebe that serious and worked up since at the end of Season 4. The episode ends with another Halliwell arrival in the family: baby Chris is born and in Charmed fashion, it's a touching moment between Piper and Leo as they both hold their new son as Paige and Phoebe, while holding Wyatt, look on. It's also the first finale that ends without the Halliwell Manor door closing, instead we get the recovery room doors to Piper's room close. All and All, Part 2 was definately the better half of this finalebut is fairlyaverage managing to give us some good moments of solid acting and hreatbreakingscenes despite the weak plot with the alterante world.

TNT