Charmed

Kill Billie: Vol. 2

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 14, 2006 on The WB

• The Charmed Ones and Billie and Christy both try to find succesful weapons to use against the opponents. Both settle on unleashing the Hollow which leads to a disastrous battle.

The penultimate episode of Charmed satisfied me. It featured some excellent acting, a well written story (Brad Kern actually has it in him) and memorable moments that rank among Charmed's best.

Rik Young did an excellent job as the British demon of the week, though the plotline seemed slightly misplaced; why should we, with everything else going on, care that some demons are fed up with the Triad and want them dead? Victor Webster continues to annoy me, and luckily there's only one episode left for him to influence. His popping up in the middle of the suspense was such a downer, and luckily Phoebe did not think 'It doesn't matter that we are facing the greatest battle ever, love is paramount' like he wants her to think. Take a hike, Coop!

Though the storyline was not Charmed's finest, it worked. The final scene with the exploding manor was mindnumbing, and I'm very happy that Kern had Piper be the surviving sister, seeing as Holly Marie Combs is and has since season 4 been the definite anchor of the show. Holly Marie Combs was beyond good in this episode and shone in every scene she was in.

I hated, however, that Billie was actually talked into using Wyatt for her own personal gain. She is planning to kill his mother and then she dares use him to do it? Where the hell did her moral go? On the other hand I liked that Christy more than ever seemed brainwashed and unreasonable.

Piper finding Phoebe's corpse in the ruins was heartbreaking. I just needed one little thing. She should have whispered Prue's name, like calling for help. That would have made the scene perfection, especially as we are facing the end, but obviously in the hands of Brad Kern that is hardly likely to happen. Much better to act like Prue never existed. It thrilled me that the Angel of Destiny had not expected this outcome; it made it appear as though there's actually free will in the Charmed universe and that absolutely everything isn't controlled by the whole destiny crap.

And of course it was nice to see Brian Krause again. Bring on the finale, Charmed.