Charmed

Little Box of Horrors

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 24, 2005 on The WB

• Chapo!!! A 10 episode! There has nothing nothing bad!!! It's so great! The camera job, the acting, the music, the effects, the story...

There nothing wrong in this episode!

The story is great: Well Written and fabolous, it has a very interesting drama, the surprise scenes... The acting: Piper and Paige where so great in this episode!I love the scene with Paige Leo and the Elder, Rose knows how to do it!! we feel the pain!! "I've asma...""FANTASTIC" a great escene when she did that! And I loved the acting of Nina and Hope, they both did a great job!

The "behind the cameras" job was so great aswell: The effects were so good: When the minion troes the fire call to the box (I love that scene)the "smoke" from the box in the underworld moving in the air,and the vanquish of Katia was kinda knew...

The Camera Job was perfect: The scenes in the underworld were so great (I loved when katia trows Hope's Friend into the dark of the cave how it si shown) And, Last but no least, the music was awesome... You have to listen this episode so loud!! The music when Hope "meet" Pandora Box is really perfect!!

I love it so i give it a big 10!! You must see it!!
  • Very Little bad things to say about this episodes!

One of the best season seven episodes

Based on mytholgy: (Pandoras Box) In pandoras box there were: innumerable, sorrow and mischief and last of all Hope! You can imagine what might happen if the box got in the wrong hands, which it did. Piper and Phoebe must find the new guardin of the box before Kayta (A shape shifting demon) Whilst Paige finds her new charge.

This episode was just right, it wasn't too magical and Leo and Piper didn't have another argument (which was a good sighn) The writers wrote good scripts and the storyline wasn't all focused on different subjects.
  • I loved this episode it was different and well written.

The Charmed Ones are in a race against time when the mythological Pandora's Box falls into the hands of Katya, a shapeshifting demon who intends to open the box and fill the world with all of its sorrows. Phoebe and Piper try to find Hope, the Guardian who can return any released evil spirits to the box. In their efforts to protect Hope, the sisters engage in an intense fight with Katya. Meanwhile, a ringing in Paige's ears sends her on her first Whitelighter mission, and Leo becomes at stay-at-home dad, experiencing Wyatt's terrible twos first-hand !!
  • IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD BOX

It's a bad, bad, bad, bad box

An imaginative storyline with some neat twists. This is a definite throwback to the early seasons, with the Charmed Ones called upon to protect an innocent in trouble.

After last week's dreadful performance, the post production team is back to its best with some nifty effects, especially in the opening scene. There's also some decent acting, with a very good actress playing Nina. Shame she gets killed off so soon. The demon makes a refreshing change from the usual 'extras in black' - liked the outfit and the actress. I found the innocent rather annoying. She reminded me of Kyle from "That Old Black Magic" which is something I'd rather forget.

Paige has her own plot this week, in which she starts hearing jingles from the elders. In order to stop the headache, which is nicely acted by Rose, she must save a future whitelighter. This sounds promising but frustratingly turns into a very boring scene where she gets trapped in a lift with a bloke who thinks he's superman, a quarrelling couple and a whiny little girl. Bit of a wasted opportunity.

After a bright start, the main plot also fades a little towards the end. It would have been nice to see the impact of all those sorrows on the world but instead they get put back in the box with no effort and no consequences. There's a good twist at the vanquish when Paige disguises herself as Hope but, other than that, it's a pretty routine ending.

Another miniplot sees Wyatt orbing himself and his toys all over the house, much to his parents' annoyance. This is actually quite funny. I just wish Wyatt would say something. How can any child be that quiet?

And I got all the way through without once using the word 'Pandora'. Well, almost.

Score: 9.1
  • Little Box of Horrors

Little Box of Horrors was a great episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because the story was good and I liked the Charmed take on the Pandora's Box mythology. I do feel the story could have been a little better in some ways but over all the episode was a success. It was interesting to see Piper dealing with Wyatt using magic, Paige coming into her destiny, and for Hope the new Guardian of the Box to discover her new role. The shape shifter demon was an interesting character. Every thing worked out in the end. I certainly look forward to watching what will happen next!!!!!
  • Little Episode of Awesomeness

Little Box of Horrors-The sisters scramble to recover Pandora's Box when it falls into the hands of a shapeshifting demon who intends to open it and fill the world with all of its sorrows. Meanwhile, Paige's Whitelighter side rises to the surface, when she begins hearing calls from the Elders, and Leo and Piper clash over parenting issues - namely raising magical children.

Probablyone of the most underrated episode throughout Charmed's 8 year run, "Little Box of Horrors" is an episode that's is pretty basic in terms of plot: The sisters are introduced to an innocent they have to protect from a powerful demon. Yet, thanks to Cameron Litvack, this episode is written rather tremendously with someunforeseentwists and some strong writing. I have to say, I loved the idea of the Guardians (Not to be confused with the Guardians from earlier this season). While it's a bit too reminiscent of Buffy (one girl chosen from each generation), it was written well enough that it doesn't bother me too much! Pandora's Box is yet another piece of mythology given the Charmed treatment and for once, it's done well. All the guest stars were in top form, Katya just had the right amount ofmenaceand charm, I really loved the fake-out of her being Nina, thepreviousGuardian. I loved how the opening fight between Katya and Nina ended soambiguously, which set up Katya's reveal so well. Speaking of Katya, she just had the right amount of menace and charm to her thanks to Michelle Hard. Unlike most demons on Charmed during this years, Katya really knew how set-up the sisters and well as the innocent she was after. Her manipulation of Hope when trying to get her to open the box was great, playing on her fears of the new world she has been introduced to and just wanting to go back to being normal. Brooke Nevin was also convincing as Hope, who is the next chosen in the line of Guardians. I loved how Hope's situation is contrasted with the first time the sisters' became witches. It's nice to be reminded of how the girls started out and them using that to help an innocent. Also, not to be forgotten in a minor but well acted role is Shani Pride as Darcy, Hope's best friend. I really loved the moment where she tells Hope about the final part of the legend of the box. Sure, it's unrealistic that Darcy suddenly is comfortable enough to contribute to what's happening given she was just kidnapped by demons, but the delivery was good on the actress' part.

Another thing I love about the episode is that it shows the sisters' acting smart for once, secretly coming up with their own plan when Katya tries to take Hope once again when she takes the form of Darcy. It'sespeciallysurprising when it's Phoebe who's the one who sees through Katya's guise and gets Paige to glamour into Hope to vanquish Katya. It was another awesome twist and Rose McGowan really kicked a$$ as Paige for once! Rose really was great not only with the Pandora's Box story but Paige's sub-plot with finding a future whitelighter. While the trapped elevator setting was cliche, it was a nice way to get some strong development for Paige since these days the character seems so dense! Paige really got to shine and I loved the moment where she gets everyone on the elevator to help when all hell breaks loose. Rose McGowan, like I said, can really give a great performance when the script calls for it and she puts in some genuine effort. The whole Paige becoming an whitelighter plot has been explored in the past, like in 'Sam I Am" from Season 5 but it's nice to see it being official here. Paige really hasn't had a decentstory-linesince she was a social worker and her becoming a whitelighter does in fact give the character a chance to evolve into her own and share her wisdom as a Charmed One to other witches and future whitelighters. All and All, "Little Box of Horrors" may seem like the standard Charmed plot at first but it's great episode with a solidamountof twists, character development and guest stars.

• Tight plotting, well-developed characters, and heart-warming moments make this episode a joy to watch.

This was an exciting episode from the opening battle between Katya (the demon, dressed in black) and Nina (the guardian of Pandora's box, dressed in white). The outcome of the battle was ambiguous, leading to a nice twist. Throughout the episode, just enough was revealed and just enough hidden to build suspense and keep the audience guessing.

The minor characters were better developed than one-episode characters usually are. Hope's confusion, disbelief, and distrust in the face of magic were convincing. Her youth and inexperience combined with her self-reliance and strong will to create an engaging heroine, one who seemed fit for her destiny as the new guardian of Pandora's box.

Katya was a smart demon who tried to persuade Hope to open the box before resorting to force. Zankou would indeed have been impressed by Katya's skills if she had survived. But she fell for the same trick that she herself had used on the Charmed Ones. It made for a satisfying vanquish.

Pulling it all together was a theme of self-discovery: Hope finding her destiny as the guardian of Pandora's box; Paige learning that she can be Charmed and also have an identity apart from her sisters as a Whitelighter; Wyatt using magic to assert his independence; Piper and Leo struggling with their role as parents of a magical boy. And foreshadowing events to come, Phoebe showed her propensity for psychological analysis: she suggested that the ringing in Paige's ears might be psychosomatic, and she deduced from "Darcy's" behavior that she was not who she appeared to be. Even the demon Katya was motivated by a desire to fulfill her potential and assume her rightful place in the demonic hierarchy.

Complex and rewarding, this episode demonstrates that a light drama with a magical premise can be more than a guilty pleasure: it can rise to the level of art.
  • and then there was Pandora's box as Paige gets a call...... from the elders.

overall an interesting episode...

Pandora's box was brought up very nice in this episode with its own guardian and Katya who wants to bring sorrow into the world in order to please Zankou. That was really interesting, also it somehow surprised me that Katya pretended to be Nina. When in some way it was to be expected but somehow it surprised me.

There was a lot of shapeshifting going on with katya until Phoebe gets the idea of making Paige shapeshift since she's partially whitelighter... Very smart.... in the end of course they beat Katya.

Piper's remarks were really piper like and also very amusing.

I also find it very interesting that Paige's whitelighter's side is being brought up by the writers because we've known for so long she's partially white lighter but nothing is being done with it except for the orbing and stuff.. Of course Leo was always beign the whitelighter so yeah it would be a bit weird to have two whitelighters. But it's nice that they show that side of her, it intrigues me.

And baby Wyatt is so sweet! I just love that kid!
    Overall a nice episode which I recommend to other people, it's enjoyable!
  • 'Little box of horrors' is truly one of the best episodes that Charmed has ever had. Its originality and witty lines are a statement to just how good a show Charmed is.

When I first read the summary for 'Little box of horrors' I wasn't too pleased. It sounded like another myth/fairytale plot and in my opinion, there has been too many of them on Charmed. However, when I sat down and watched it I was amazed. The acting was brilliant and the plot twists were some of the best yet on television. I have only been watching Charmed for two years but I know everything about it and I know that this episode was one of the most interesting and original things I have seen on any show. It was also the beginning to five excellent Charmed episodes. Roll on series 8!!!
  • Let's go back to Ancient Greece...

'Little Box of Horrors' isn't one of my favorite Charmed epidsodes. I think the writers screwed up the story of Pandora's Box a bit.

In the original myth, when Pandora was presented to Epimetheus, she opened the box. Doing this led to all the ills coming out, with hope left in the bottom of the box.

The 'Charmed' writers got all this right. Where I think they went wrong is the reason why hope was left in the box.

The ancient Greeks didn't like the idea of hope. They believed that whatever happened to you was because the gods wanted it to happen. There was no use in hoping against bad things happening because they would just happen anyway.

In this episode, though, Hope's friend assures her that "hope was the only thing left in the box, and that was what enabled the Greeks to put all the ills back in the box" (NOT a direct quote, by the way, so please don't sue me). In the myth, the ills never got put back in the box. This is where the writers got it all wrong.

I didn't like the other episodes ('Oh My Goddess 1 and 2') that use Greek mythology as a storyline. But more about that in my review for those episodes...
  • Pandora's Box in the Hands of Buff, uh, I Mean, Hope!

Cameron Litvack continues to fulfil his title as the best writer on Charmed with this brilliant episode.

Little Box of Horrors features the sisters attempting to stop a deadly, shapeshifting, leather-clad villainess called Katya from opening Pandora's Box and unleashing misery on the world. The sisters attempt to find Hope, the guardian of the box who is the only one who can protect it from Katya.

The idea of Pandora's Box is intriguing and it's surprising that it hasn't been used on the show before. The guest stars are mostly excellent, in particular Shani Pride as Hope's best friend Darcy. Brooke Nevin is slightly annoying as Hope and her performance just grates on you.

The constant shapeshifting hijinks throughout the episode are entertaining. I fell for it two times throughout the episode, once when Katya shapeshifted into Nina and again when Paige shapeshifted into Hope to rescue Darcy.

Little Box of Horrors felt a lot like a season one episode. The storyline was standard of back then, with the sisters teaming up to rescue an innocent. It was good to re-visit this strand of storytelling as it hadn't been utalised for a while now.

This is definitely one of the best episodes of season seven with a healthy mix of thrills, comedy and twists.