Charmed

Little Box of Horrors

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 24, 2005 on The WB

• IT'S A BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD BOX

It's a bad, bad, bad, bad box

An imaginative storyline with some neat twists. This is a definite throwback to the early seasons, with the Charmed Ones called upon to protect an innocent in trouble.

After last week's dreadful performance, the post production team is back to its best with some nifty effects, especially in the opening scene. There's also some decent acting, with a very good actress playing Nina. Shame she gets killed off so soon. The demon makes a refreshing change from the usual 'extras in black' - liked the outfit and the actress. I found the innocent rather annoying. She reminded me of Kyle from "That Old Black Magic" which is something I'd rather forget.

Paige has her own plot this week, in which she starts hearing jingles from the elders. In order to stop the headache, which is nicely acted by Rose, she must save a future whitelighter. This sounds promising but frustratingly turns into a very boring scene where she gets trapped in a lift with a bloke who thinks he's superman, a quarrelling couple and a whiny little girl. Bit of a wasted opportunity.

After a bright start, the main plot also fades a little towards the end. It would have been nice to see the impact of all those sorrows on the world but instead they get put back in the box with no effort and no consequences. There's a good twist at the vanquish when Paige disguises herself as Hope but, other than that, it's a pretty routine ending.

Another miniplot sees Wyatt orbing himself and his toys all over the house, much to his parents' annoyance. This is actually quite funny. I just wish Wyatt would say something. How can any child be that quiet?

And I got all the way through without once using the word 'Pandora'. Well, almost.

Score: 9.1