Charmed

Long Live the Queen

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 02, 2002 on The WB

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• He Should Have Stayed Dead...

This has to be the darkest episode in Charmed history. Looking back on it, I think that it might have been better if Cole was actually killed in this episode, without him returning for the first 12 episodes of next season.

Long Live the Queen has Phoebe slowly crossing back over to the good side after she gets a premonition of a young man being killed by a demon. Whilst Cole tries to keep her evil, Piper and Paige try to lure Phoebe back over to their side so they can kill Cole once and for all...

An explosive episode which has some of the darkest moments on the show, it's a shame that Charmed never returned to this level of darkness during the next three seasons. The closing moments, where Piper and Paige hold a mourning Phoebe in bed as the scene fades is heartbreaking and the only time Charmed has ever made me genuinely sad. All the actresses are perfect during this scene, from Phoebe's weeping, Piper's determination to help and Paige's vulnerability. The writers should of saved this for the season finale, as it is wonderfully written, wonderfully acted and features some very memorable scenes and events. Perfection.
  • Sad

This was another episode that made me cry. Even though i knew that Cole would come back, i still cried and cried. He wa the best thing that ever happened to Phoebe, and then she vanquished him. Though he was evil and put her through pain, he was willing to give up being the Source in 'We're off to see the wizard' so that he could remain with Phoebe forever.
  • One of the absolute best episodes of Charmed

There aren't very many episodes of Charmed that I've cried by the end of. However, this episode is one of those episodes that pull at your heartstrings. It also features some great acting by the entire cast and a storyline that has yet to be rivaled, not just in the Charmed-verse, but in all of TV-dom.

Phoebe, having married Cole and taking the throne of the Underworld with him, seems to be turning more and more evil by the minute. Her evil baby inside her has a lot to do with that, as does a mysterious tonic the Seer gives her everyday. Cole has asked Phoebe to stop killing demons, so when faced with a premonition, she must save an innocent without killing the demon. She gets away with it, but the entire family is tricked when Cole shows up to the manor, glamoured as Phoebe, and kills the innocent. It is apparent what the Charmed Ones must do: They must vanquish Cole. Phoebe, crying the entire time, joins her sisters in the spell to vanquish him. By the end of the episode, The Source has been vanquished (again) and Phoebe is heartbroken.

The last scene is what does it for me. The sisters are all in Phoebe's room, and Piper and Paige are attempting to console their sister. Piper is embracing Phoebe, while Phoebe holds Paige. It gets me EVERY TIME. I have two sisters, and this scene just reminds me how lucky I am to have two sisters that love me. (Aww, cue sappy music.)

However, that's not what makes the episode. What makes this episode great is the discord between Phoebe, her sisters, and Cole. Phoebe wants to stay in the middle, neither good nor evil, but Cole and her sisters are telling her that she can't have it both ways. This is very much true - she can't save demons and save innocents at the same time. Phoebe sees her world crashing around her as she finds out Cole knew about the tonic the Seer had been giving her every day. The tonic is poisoned and supposedly contains "pure evil," to make Phoebe and her unborn baby stronger and more evil.

I find this aspect of the episode most intriguing. Phoebe doesn't know who she can trust. Cole and her sisters are telling her the same thing, yet they are on different sides of the playing field, and she doesn't see why they can't compromise. It's almost a descent into madness. Everything Phoebe had known before marrying Cole and ascending to the throne with him was wiped away, and everything she knew since then also disappeared. It's almost as if Phoebe doesn't know where she is supposed to fit in the fight between good and evil. She's married to the Source, so she can't be completely good, and yet she's a Charmed One, so she can't be completely evil. In this aspect, she has a lot in common with Spike from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer": There's something about them that makes them different. They can't fit in on either side.

It turns out that Phoebe goes back to her good side, but it's the journey back that makes this episode a treasure.
  • The best episode of the series. Ever. This is Charmed at its best.

This is my all time favourite charmed episode. It has everything that makes charmed my favourite TV-show; excitement, romancesorrow and of course the main thing of both the episode and the show in general: the bond between the sisters.

Cole is the source of all evil and Phoebe is has become his queen. Together they rule the underworld. As much as I love Phoebe I'm not surprised that she ended up as the queen of the underworld. She has always been the daring one, and if you add that to the fact that she was so incredibly in love with Cole, it didn't come as a great surprise. I find it interesting how Phoebe still has good in her even with the Seer's tonic and the offspring of the Source in her belly. The only thing that keeps her from becoming compltely evil is her sisters and the fact that she misses them.
    The sisters, meanwhile, confront the problem differently. Paige is hopeful that Phoebe will come round and still sees her as her sister. piper on the other hand blames herself for the outcome of Phoebe. This is very typical of Piper. When Prue died she blamed herself.

You follow Phoebe and see her struggle; should she choose her sisters and the power of thrre or the love opf her life. The big showdown between Cole and Piper and Paige was so great. They both lay their hopes on Phoebe, and we had no idea wether she would choose Cole or her sisters. When I realized what Phoebe had chosen I was heartbroken. Cole is such a good character and I honestly believed that he would never come back agai. The moment were Phoebe says her "last" good bye to Cole is the saddest part of all the charmed episodes.

the acting of this episode is outstaning. Alyssa is so believeable as evil and I really felt for her during the whole episode. Holly and Rose also did great performances and the final scene of the episode where the sisters lie down together in Phoebes bed and just hold each other is perfect. No words are needed, they understand each other.

A little final note:
    I loved Alyssas hairdo. Delicious. Also rose's top looked so great.
  • A whole new side of Phoebe, the dark side, combined with a little white magic... Visions can't be ignored..

a nice episode. Phoebe joined the dark side along with COle but she soon finds out that the Seer is poisoning her and she gets a vision of an innocent she needs to save. Which makes the demon question the loyalty of the new queen.

Piper believes Phoebe has made a choice and prepares some potions as Leo and Paige worry about her.

When Phoebe saves the innocent together with her sisters, Paige thinks that the good in Phoebe tries to come back but Phoebe remains by Cole's side but questions her decision.
    When she finds out that Cole knew what was in the drinks the Seer gave to her, she gets mad as she also finds out that Cole killed the innocent (As he pretended to be Phoebe at the sisters' house) which disturbs Phoebe even more

When Paige, Piper and Leo drop by their house to destroy Cole, they ask Phoebe to come and help them. When Phoebe emerges from the bathroom she kisses Cole which really makes you question who's side she'll choose since we're nearing the season's end. But she picks up a rock and places it on the ground, making a beginning with cole's death.

The last scene is beautiful as all three sisters lay in bed with each other, as two of them are just there for Phoebe in her time of need.

Nice episode, which I highly recommend, I have seen it several times and I still enjoy it a lot!
  • Cole dies...again.

This was one of three Charmed episodes that really made me cry. Beautifully portrayed, it ends up with Phoebe having to kill her true love (who, in my opinion, is also one of the greatest looking guys on the planet) and the pain she goes through vanquishing him, and at the end is very well done.

I watch it time and again, and still hope that he doesn't die!
1 2 >