Charmed

Lost and Bound

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 31, 2002 on The WB

• Better than idiotic Paige last time.

Once again, I copy from Ilatrion:

-- For one, as pointed out by others, Piper "I want to live a normal life" Haliwell is clearly on the wrong side of the bind the child's powers argument, and Leo "defender of all things magical" as well. However, this argument is a key part of the episode. So it is to be tolerated. The second point of idiocy is the notion that the Source would need this kid. For what? The Source can start fires with a wave of his hand. Ray Wise, decent actor that he is, makes a more frightening investment banker than a demon. We do, however, get to see perhaps the first sign of maternal instincts from Piper, as she takes the boy under her protection and is even more feisty than normal in getting him back after he is taken. Of course, she learns her lesson by the end and understands the gift Grams gave her and her sisters by binding their powers through childhood. As usual, it would have been easier to just listen to Leo.

The entire Phoebe subplot was well-acted by Alyssa and Julian, but it was beyond stupid that no one noticed she was starting to act completely out of sorts. -- (especially considering she is COMPLETELY out of character and even when she flashes black and white they don't even care!)

I mean I get having them as body guards, but once we realise the source just wants his powers and not him, then it's stupid. And upper level demons start having fireballs which makes his power pretty useless.

My higher rating comes purely from the acting of Phoebe and Julian and Piper. While I didn't like the inconsistency with Piper being against magic then all of a sudden for, she still acted it well, and the maternal instinct showed nicely.

On a physical note. Loved Phoebe in this one. her hair has definitely gotten better than the last 2 seasons I think. I like it up until season 6 I think it is when she gets her pixie cut thing, I'm not a fan of that on most women, but I thought short, dark hair suits her but not THAT short.

I like the little lines they put in their episodes sometimes. In the Banshee one Prue says "you're barking up the wrong tree" it happened, a few times since then but I can't remember them now (was going to point them out too) but here Phoebe says "I wish I could just twitch my nose and get it done" and look who she turns into.

And I thought Phoebe acted the scared wife at the start. It's fair enough jitters to have, I know I'm kind of scared of what may be expected of me if I was to marry a man. Even if while we're dating it's perfect, when you're a 'wife' hollywood makes you believe you're supposed to be the maid really.

Seriously "when I recommended you for the job I thought you were a FORMER demon" .. what the hell is with Paige. He acted pretty human actually. You have a scum human that you guys gave him 2 hours to learn about and he was already angry and in a stressful position. I thought he acted quite normally. But eff me, Paige was annoying. She assumes EVERYTHING he does that is not "Mr perfect happy go nice guy" is evil and demonic. And hell even when he becomes Mr perfect happy go nice guy, she assumes it's even more demonic. They wrote the 'anti-cole' line SO ridiculously and the whole "I told you so" she has later on is freaking annoying.
  • Lost and Bound

Lost and Bound was another perfect and very entertaining episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the action was awesome, the drama was interesting and every thing ended well. It was cool to see a Firestarter and learn more about them. I liked how the sisters protected the Firestarter and how Cole got a job. It was fun to watch this all unfold and for the characters to interact. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Don't upset the fire-starting teenager...

This is decidedly better than last week, at least being good enough to be average, even if it is based on a couple preposterous plot points.

Fairly decent rebound from a disastrous episode last week, but still hardly the lead in to Charmed and Dangerous that you would expect.
  • Demons are hunting a young boy who is a firestarter as The Source wants to use him for his own ends. Meanwhile, Cole proposes to Phoebe but things get a little bit complicated.

The Source sends a group of demons in search of a young boy who is a firestarter as he wants the use of his powers for himself. (Surprise, surprise!) Cole, on the other hand, has more important things on his mind as he finally decides to pop the question to Phoebe and gives her Grams' old wedding ring. This turns out to be a bad idea because the much-married Grams had a curse on the ring and as soon as Phoebe starts wearing it, she starts behaving like a stereotypical housewife from the 1950s, cooking, cleaning, clothing and all! Alyssa Milano is very amusing here as she sings and cooks her way through her day, which is all about taking of her beloved Cole.

Very funny in places.
  • Let the flames begin!

4.5
    I failed to mention this in previous reviews, but there's an annoying level of convenience to the scripts that completely alters the flow of the episodes. This week Piper and Leo are discussing their child's future and how their powers may or may not have a negative impact for them, and then a convenient magical child pops up to illustrate both points of view, it's very irritating. Like two episodes back, Phoebe and Cole are having pre-proposal jitters, so they're conveniently possessed by ghosts…who want to get married. It's something you'd expect from shows like Sabrina! ANYWAYS, there are some note-worthy moments in 'Lost and Bound'. For 'Paige from the Past,' I bemoaned how Phoebe's subplot was an unnecessary distraction. Here, however, it's a bit of relief from the very irritable main plot. Alyssa does a bang up job as the house wife – the way she does that little crunch with her nose gets me every time. The special effects were cool, too. As for Piper and Leo? Uhm, Piper, you've spent the last 10 episodes damning magic and how it'd be better if you called truce with the source, now you're praising to anyone within praise distance how great magic is. Inconsistency, much? Oh, well, it is Charmed, I suppose.
  • #I'm a firestarter, twisted firsestarter#

5.4
    This episode is obvious filler before we get back to business with the Source and Cole. It features a kid who can start fires via emotions. He's a generic orphan teenager so he starts fires often. Anyway, he is promised to the Source so the Charmed ones protect him. In the sub-plot we have to put up with Phoebe acting all Bewitched's Sam. All housewifey and stuff.

First thing is that the kid firestarter, everytime I heard that word it just made me hum the Prodidgy track. It was made even funnier with the collection Demon Ludlow being Ray Wise who plays the Devil in 'Reaper', ironically having Ice powers. I Laughed My Arse off. On the otherhand Piper's demonstration of her powers to the kid were quite a nice touch. Helped her see that she can look after Children as well. Not that anyone had any doubts.

The sub-plot with Phoebe as a 1950s housewife was reasonably okay and I liked the black and white reel effect. It's a shame that the Samantha 'Bewitched' Phoebe was just a little too annoying though. Never touching Grams engagement ring again hopefully.

So a bad episode that was reasonably funny in bits. Makes me want to listen to the Prodigy's album.
  • Lost and Bored

4.3
    Lost and Bound-Wanting to protect a ten-year-old orphaned boy who is a firestarter, Piper and Leo try to hunt down the demon before he can deliver the kid to the Source. Meanwhile, Phoebe is given Grams' wedding ring by Cole, but to their surprise the ring has been cursed to transform the wearer into a traditional 1950's suburban housewife.

Ehw! I never could understand why Charmed always got some of the worst guest stars on network television, as they are some of the worst actors you'll ever see. That fact couldn't be more proven than in "Lost and Bound" as there were times I wanted to kick my TV because of the awful acting. The whole Firestar storyline could have been a dark, intriguing premise, but it's immediately destoryed by the horrifying acting talents of Alex Black (Tyler). Everytime Tyler is on scene, his either incredibly bad or just plain sucks as he delivers his lines like his reading off a cue card! He probably was as the casting director took a day off and took the kid because they pressed for time! Also, the guest stars playing Tyler's parents sucked as well, not being convincing as either bounty hunters or as parents. At least Holly Marie Combs puts some real effort into the storyline playing sort of a surrogate mother to Tyler. It's great to see such a maternal side of Piper and it's just a glimpse of how much a great mother she will be in the later seasons. I feel bad for Ray Wise as his a great actor and Ludlow could have been a great villian, but his too underdeveloped and almost cartoony.

On the other hand, Phoebe's sub-plot was surprisingly hilarious with her putting on Grams' ring and turing into 50s housewife/perky witch like Samantha on "Bewitched". Alyssa was priceless throughout and delievered some really great lines. It's too bad the rest of the episode was so sucky as if written better, this would have made for a hilarious episode, but sigh! All and All, "Lost and Bound" makes me wish I could "Bound and Gagged" the writer who came up with this mess of an hour. Just avoid this one folks!
  • Tyler a firestarter is being hunted by demon bounty hunters that want the firestarter so that he can serve the Source. Meanwhile Cole officially asks phoebe to marry him. Cole then puts on Grams old ring that ends up to be cursed.

When Tyler first sets fire to his bed then runs away from his foste and then when Paige unexpectingly discovers that the 10-year-old runaway is a firestarter, so she rushes him to the manor for safekeeping. After talking to the boy Piper finally is able to break throuh to him and he tells her everything and that is when Piper and Leo soon discover that his foster parents are, in fact, demon bounty hunters, so they protect him while trying to teach that powers alone are not good or evil but that it is how use them that determines it.. Meanwhile, Cole officially proposes to Phoebe using her grandmother's ring - only to discover that the ring is cursed and turns her into the perfect 1950s housewife.
  • Demon Academy II

Another installment which owes much to previous episodes. We have the kidnapped boy from "Secrets and Guys", the demon academy from "Wrestling with Demons" and the monochrome effect from "Chick Flick".

The demon plot has a few twists and turns but is ultimately just another 'rescue the innocent' storyline. The guest actors are also very average, although the foster mother redeems herself with some wonderful screaming when Tyler sets her on fire. Best scene by far!

The demon academy was far more convincing than the one they showed last season. I enjoyed watching them trying to get through the gates, particularly when Leo tried to orb through and bounced back. Tee hee!

There are a fistful of subplots this week. Phoebe's starts off alright but gets progressively weaker and more annoying as the hour goes on. The Samantha Stevens look was funny at first, as was the endless baking, but it was ridiculous that none of the other characters noticed any change. The black and white flickering was nicely done but had nothing to do with the curse on the ring. Some kind of nod towards Bewitched has been needed for a long time but this overblown nonsense is not how to do it.

Cole's subplot is a waste of space. As if anyone would appoint a lawyer without even interviewing them for the job!

I liked the debate between Piper and Leo over whether they should bind their children's powers but surely it was the wrong way round? In every other episode Piper has been the one arguing against magic and destiny. Doesn't anyone check the script before they start filming?

Nice to see Paige use her power for once. Was beginning to think she'd forgotten she had it. And she even said 'please'. Who says they don't teach manners any more?
  • Ehh average i suppose.

6.1
    When Paige discovers that a 10-year-old runaway is a firestarter, she whisks him to the manor for safekeeping. The gang soon discovers that his foster parents are, in fact, demon bounty hunters, so they protect him while trying to teach him how to use his powers for good rather than evil. Meanwhile, Cole officially proposes to Phoebe using her grandmother's ring - only to discover that the ring is cursed and turns her into the perfect 1950s housewife.
  • Ehh... It was okay, but just not my favorite...

First thing... I loved Pheobe with the wedding ring turning her into this like 50s wife! She was so hysterical! I loved her cooking all the time, it was so not Pheobe!

The thing with the kid... I didn't hate the story line, but I think they could've done better, though I liked how it involved Piper thinking about kids, and how her grandmother bound their powers.

The demon parents were a bit creepy... not as bad as usual...

I liked the little kid okay though... It was good Piper let him make the descision about his powers.

An average, okay episode...
  • Piper is completely out of character

in this episode piper and leo are fighting about if they have a child wheter or not they should bind his or her powers. now piper is all like you cant bind my baby's powers because magic is a gift and your lucky to have it and so on. but every chance she gets piper jumps at the chance to give up her powers. when aunt gail stripped their powers piper was like good lets keep it that way. then when the angel of destiny comes she cant wai to get rid of their powers. everytime she has a chance piper wants to get rid of her powers so how can she in this episode be all powers are a gift they are precious and so on. ok i made my point. otherwise this is a decent episode.
  • Bewitched?

An ok episode which could have been much better.

I didn't like the firestarter story line much. It was a little boring and the boy couldn't act. Although we got to see Pipers maternal instinct kick in when she heard Tyler cry out for help.

I did however like the Bewitched storyline, when Pheobe wears Grams' wedding ring which is cursed & she turns into a good little housewife. I just found it weird that no one noticed that she wasn't herself. The special effects were cool when Phoebe started to blink out between black & white and color.
  • Though I did like all the Bewitched stuff, this episode was not that interesting.

6.1
    The kid who played Tyler was not exactly the best actor. I did like the fact that they introduced a new magical creature, the firestarter. This episode showed how Piper and Leo feel about having a magical child which was interesting. That's probably the only entertainment you'll get out of this episode but it does move on pretty fast so you won't get bored.
  • If they could have called it Bewitched they would have.

Phoebe turns into Samantha from Bewitched after putting on Grams ring that Cole gives to her.
    Sam or I mean Phoebe starts cooking and cleaning. No one thinks this is weird around the house??!?!
    They also have to take care of a firestarter kid who must have won a contest to be an actor for a day on Charmed... cause anyone could do the acting he did. Nothing special.

Piper gets to teach the firestarter how to control his powers and she also gets a taste of how being a parent might be and the decisions of binding thier powers.

Paige manages to get Cole a job as an attorney. But he can't gake the 9-5 job lifestyle. Paige seems to be a taxicab driver in this episode she is always leaving and going back to work.

Too bad no visit from Grams in this episode.
  • Never Act with Animals or Kids #5

3.3
    As much of a filler episode as you can get, Lost and Bound does nothing to advance the on-going storylines and ends up being a slightly hollow hour which only succeeds in annoying the fans who have to wait another week for the big battle with the Source in Charmed and Dangerous.

Lost and Bound draws on two things, the movie Firestarter and the TV series Bewitched, as the episode has Piper and Leo protecting a young wiccan boy, who can manipulate fire, from demonic bounty hunters and Phoebe being possessed by Grams' ring, which makes her act like a happy '50s housewife.

The firestarter storyline is extremely dull and the acting from the guest stars is awful. Alex Black, playing young fire guy Tyler, is mind-numbingly bad in the role and his Aaron Carter-esque haircut makes you want to shoot in your TV set. The acting from the two guests playing Tyler's demonic step-parents is also extremely clunky but they thankfully get blown up quite soon into the episode.

The Phoebe subplot is partially more interesting. Alyssa does well with the (somewhat slim) material and she gives a really good performance as "peachy-keen" Phoebe. Although, it's amazingly unbelievable that Piper, Paige, Cole and Leo took so long to realise she wasn't acting normally. There are also some nifty special effects when Phoebe's blinking out between color and black and white.

Lost and Bound is an average episode which wastes a good opportunity story-wise and ends up not saying that much.