Charmed

Love's A Witch

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 2003 on The WB

• This Episode's a Bitch

2.7
    This episode has the honor of being the first episode of Charmed which I've been so bored by that I actually turned off my TV whilst it was on.

Love's a Witch has Paige's latest temp job getting her involved with two wiccan families who are at war with each other, ala Romeo and Juliet, and discovers that the guy she's fallen for has a deceased wife, who has returned in ghost form and is planning on possessing Paige.

Balthazar Getty makes his first appearance on the show as Richard Montana, or as he may as well of been called, Devout of Personality Boyfriend #239. It's nice that Paige finally gets a boyfriend that himself is magical, but couldn't they of made him at least slightly interesting? He's as interesting as a fly buzzing round a light bulb! The main storyline is also boring without many interesting aspects to it. I guess it's cool that everybody's bruised and beaten toward the end as usually they would just blow up in boring ways and I suppose that Rose is (as always) good when she's been possessed by Richard's ex wife, but the rest of the episode is just plain bad. Please, somebody, get some better writers for this show!

Rating: F
  • Boring !!

4.7
    The love Paige expresses for her new sweetie, Richard Montana, embroils the Charmed Ones in a deadly "magical feud" between the Montanas and the Callaways. Things reach the crisis stage when Richard's dead lover Olivia Callaway takes over Paige's body. Elsewhere, Leo is suspicious when Chris embarks on a secret Whitelighter mission to the Underworld; and Phoebe's empath powers cause her to obsess over her sisters' innermost feelings -- and to talk about them at great and tiresome length!
  • A war between two families going on for centuries resolved by the Charmed sisters.

4.7
    Actually the families fighting was quite boring. It was obvious that the sisters would finally get them to talk it over and the fact that Olivia was behind all this was revealed to the viewers way to soon.

The fact that Pheobe is an empath is really getting annoying and thankfully they get rid of it at the end of the episode.

As for Paige... didn't Pheobe tell her that she will never find a Temp-job without any magic? seeing how she rejected a Job at Bucklands because she would get premonitions all the time. And the number of demons vanquished at P3... So this is just plain stupid writing. Because either Paige is fine with magic Temp-jobs or she stopped getting them.

As for Chris... This Episode has actually a lot of clues for my theory that Chris is Wyatt's future. The fact that he is hiding a secret is obvious ever since he first appeared on the show. However the ends he would go to to protect the secret show us that he means business. I don't believe that he wants to harm the sisters he just wants them not to do something they would've done otherwise. I also believe now that he never came back because the charmed sisters couldn't vanquish the titans seeing how he wouldn't live long enough to grow that old. Plus if the Titans really killed all the Elders where he came from, who made him a Whitelighter???
    Plus when Piper has her date he is totally angry at her and wants her to leave that guy as soon as possible. His attitude towards him is very revealing. (at least to me)

Piper is dating again and I sincerely doubt that she is feeling this indifferent to the whole Leo breakup thing. I hope the writers don't forget that he is the love of her life and give us a better explanation.
  • The episode entitled, ‘Love’s a Witch’, focused the most on Paige and her desire to define herself outside of “The Power of 3”.

The episode entitled, ‘Love’s a Witch’, focused the most on Paige and her desire to define herself outside of “The Power of 3”. Some other storylines included Piper’s first date in four years, the sister’s growing annoyance with Phoebe’s empathy power and Chris’ search for a potion to hide his secrets.

Paige’s storyline of the feud going on between the Calloway’s and the Montana’s seemed incredibly forced. It started off very slowly, and once it got going, I had already lost interest. The ending of the conflict was very anti-climactic. Instead of using a banishing potion on Olivia the ghost, Paige was able to talk her into giving up her quest for vengeance. If she could have done that sooner, maybe there would have been time for a more interesting storyline. The only good thing to come from this was the addition of a new love interest for Paige in Richard.

It was nice to see Leo finally show some emotion over losing Piper. Since the start of the season, he seemed very indifferent towards the fact that he was losing a wife and not just a son. Finally, we got to see the emotions going through Leo when he was faced with Piper’s date and her request for a divorce. I was beginning to wonder if he even cared about losing her.

Overall, I would give this episode a score of 5 out of 10. It just didn’t hold and keep my interest as the rest of the episodes do.

Picky, Picky:
    Where exactly did a potion to banish a ghost come from? Several times over the years the sisters have been faced with the challenge of vanquishing a ghost and each time someone had to die, or be already dead, in order to get rid of the pesky spirit. Did the rules just change now?

Hasn’t Paige learned by now that being a Charmed One means working together with her sisters?
  • It's Time For Family Feud!!

Love's A Witch-While on a temp job, Paige meets an attractive male witch named Richard and wants to help end the magical feud between his and another magical family. After she refuses Piper and Phoebe's help, she winds up possessed by the vengeful spirit of Richard's deceased fiance. Meanwhile, Leo is suspicious when Chris travels to the underworld in search of a potion.

Wow, A nice boring episode Charmed! I'd take that over the awful run of episodes we've gotten so far. At least the writers were attemping to give us a serious witch centric plot again, but unfortunately the guest stars couldn't be more boring and the fallout couldn't be more dull. Olivia sure was vicious little ghost wasn't she? The hole she left in Ricahrd's father's chest was brutal. I just wish the ending involved more of a confrontation between Olivia and the sisters. Paige simply talking her down and Olivia going to the afterlife peacefully was beyond anti-climatic, also when she possessed Paige, it's was a wasted plot point and what was up with Richard kissing Paige out of nowhere. I mean it's obvious he sensed Paige was channeling Olivia but didn't sense that Paige might be possessed by Olivia!? Speaking of Richard, Balthazar Getty is yet another boring actor casted in yet another boring role. Of course, he will become a future love interest for Paige, yet I don't see why? He's an interesting as a door knob.

Also, the story is filled with some glaring plot holes like why haven't the Elders intervened in this war? Leo didn't even give a reason to why these two families are still active witches when all they do is cause harm to one another? What happened to personal gain and the consequences considering they are suppose to be good witches? Also, why do they throw energy balls? Isn't that a demonic power!!? Think writers, think! Another annoying plot point is Phoebe's continuing struggle to control her Empath power. I glad that the Empath potions were made to block Phoebe's power from Paige and Piper, but I hate that Chris was involved in this. Seriously, what is upw with this guy!? And why is Leo the only one noticing Chris' shaddy behavior. The sisters are becoming so dumb and Chris is playing all of them. I'm glad Leo threatened to clip his wings because the fact that Chris is still a whitelighter and doing all these horrible things is ridiculous!! Anyway, "Love's A Witch" is pretty much the best episode of the season so far, which is sad because it's average at best. Which shows you how bad this season is!

• Original effects, original camera and original changes... Anyway, a bad story! It could have been a lot better, the only thing that is good in the episode is the final fight. The rest is plain boring, the story starts in the 25 min on!

I can assure you that this episode has a lot of pontential but it is not as good as it could have been.

I think that the best thing that has this episode is the camera job and the great photography. The filming is so original that is shocking in Charmed, they usually don't do this kind of things! I loved the scene in the attic, they filmed from above and the effect was cool, the scene with Paige/ Olivia in Richar 's house was cool (The scene when they are kissing is plain perfect!) and the original effect of the closing of the door and the explosion! The scene when Paige gets in and Phoebe gets out! XD And when Phoebe fall from the ceiling! The scene when Phoebe is talking Piper hidden after the door...

Wicca part and effects in the episode are the best of it!! The blood part was a new thing in Charmed that we had not seem usually. Besides, this episode has a very notable dark side! And what about the final battle? It's a great idea! They never do battles like that, so big, people jumping and the perfect effect in the TV blowing after them!

Despite that, the storyline was quite awful. A feud...? We only saw a great battle between them!!! The sceance is good but it has not the potential that could have got! Despite that what was the enterteining in the episode...??? The end with the ghost was boring aswell. The scenes between Leo and Piper were good! I don't think that Leo should do what he did but they had chemistry. Anyway, Leo and Chris scenes were quite the same and boring. Paige was cool as she always is, she did a perfect job in the possesion-acting. You cannot see Paige there you can see Olivia, Rose did it so perfectly! And Phoebe... this is one of those episode in the ones you would want the P3 to died! She's so anoying, and tecnicaly plain stupid! When she said... "I0m gonna help Paige" just after closing the door... I would kill her in that moment!! Well, Ending... The episode has a perfect camera (a strange filming new in Charmed) and a perfect photography (The scene in the dark with the candle). A new things: like the blood, the big battle and the ghost plasma. But a plain bad story, that has a few good moments but a lot of bad ones! Puntuation: 7.5. Has a lot of trivia, original things like the blood and the battle, and the story is the only thing that is bad... so it's not so bad episode.

PD: This season has the best images in the openings... (When we see San Francisco) I loved speecailly this one. The sea and the rain.
  • Includes more characters than normal, and focuses on people other than the sisters.

I like this episode because it shows us how other magical families live their lives, not just the Charmed Ones. It includes morr characters, outside the sisters, Leo, Darryl and Chris. It focused on the problems of the Montanas and Calloways rather than the Charmed Ones, so it gave us an insight into the trials of 'normal' magical beings living in the human world.
  • Interesting Family

Montana family need to grow up and stop the stupid feud! Both family found out Olivia started it and want feud continue forever! This episode is kind boring and nothing interesting. I like Steve's character in this episode! Paige need to start right now to learn to heal herself!! She is whitelighter, she should learn to heal!! But Chris dont know how to heal, because I cant blame Chris because in the future, no one teach chris yet to heal. Leo is supposed to teach his son, Chris to heal!!!! This episode is not good and enjoy to watch, boring!
  • Not Filler At All

Some people have labeled this episode as Filler. However, I disagree. There are many subtle Sub-Plots on several different cleverly interwoven planes. Sure, the main plot seems as though it’s just about Paige going on her own. However, her assignment takes her to a place for here much suffering has taken place. This is also a breakthrough episode for Paige as a Charmed One. She starts to really find herself and a new boyfriend in the process. Also, on a very clever subtle and parallel plot line, this Episode not only resolves Olivia's pain, but it also resolves Piper's pain in much the same way. When Paige is describing Olivia's pain about losing the man she loved, the camera briefly cuts to the looks on Piper's and Leo’s faces. After Paige convinces Olivia to move on, Piper later gives Leo a small dose of his own medicine.
  • Revenge, Love and Possessions, Oh My!

THis episode was a bit slow but had great writing. THe writers seem to be having fun with Paiges subplot this season. Her wish to be away from the Power of Three is totally absurd and her temp jobs just prove that. Destiny always gets its way and you cant run away from it. In this episode anothe rone of Paiges temp jobs leads her back into her witchworld.

We begin with Paige requesting a normal job. Of course that means being a nanny to an old person. But this isnt your typical old lady, she is on one side of this feud thats going on. An energy ball blasts through the window and it should have blown Paige to bits but no she gets a nasty cut on her shoulder. I was perplexed because those things are meant to kill.

We pick up with Piper cleaning up the house and Phoebe levitating above. OK I am glad the writers remembered another power she has but this bit is a waste of money. ANd besides she has a pillow under her and I have no idea how its staying there. THe point of the scene is to exploit Phoebes power of empathy and explain Pipers nervousness of dating. Finally the girl decides to go out and date. Leave Leo in the clouds where he belongs. In any event Paige storms in and the scene focuses on her. THeres a nice little part where Phoebe plummets to the ground, I found it cool. In the kitchen Phoebes power becomes a pain in the butt even for me. ALthough it must be cool to feel what people really feel about you. Paige wants to do the investigation all by herself, again. I get she wants to be seperate but come on havent you learned solo acts rarely work out.

MEanwhile CHris is off doing his own thing. ANd of course Leo is watching him like a moron. CHris wants a empath blocking potion, I do not blame him. SOme weird guy with no front teeth is making it but says it takes time. Leo is listening in but he is invisible. THat is definately the worst effect so far this season. It looked absolutely horrid. Over at the manor Phoebe is slutting Piper up and Piper makes that clear to her sis. Her power provides some funny lines but eventually Phoebe acts like the sister she is and encourages Piper to go through with it. I ahve to admit the scenes with Leo and CHris are hilarious. THey play off each other really well(total shock) and theres just a bunch of sarcastic humor flying around.

Paige meets a young guy named Richard. HE knows about the flying energy balls and lets Paige in on the feud history. RIchard isnt all that clear about it and the whole thing sounds suspicious. THe ghost effects rock in this episode. Apparently Richards gf is behind the whole thing. I found that to be a bit too convenient but whatever. It was a nice little twist but kind of cliche. THe way her revenge scene is filmed is quite entertaining. THey focus in on her face and then zoom out, really cool. ANyway she kills the father and once again he doesnt blow up but we find out why a bit later. The guys stomach looks like it exploded and is really disgusting. Nothing can compare to it except the eye gouging from last season.

Scream session at the manor. Paige and Phoebe go full throttle. I was rather impressed at how much this fight sounded like an actual sisterly fight. Meanwhile CHris interupts Pipers date. CHris is concerned she likes him which is a huge fricking clue. Brad Kern is screaming at us, he wants us to know who CHris is. Piper stops the scream session and they bump there heads together. Piper orders a mediation between the families. Piper is totally the middle sister in this episode.

Apparently this ghost is using plasma balls and not energy balls. YOu fooled me, they look exactly the same but whatever. THe mediation goes out the window and they start a siance. Paige is about to blow a gasget but she casts the spell. I found that weird since she didnt know about the siance and it didnt seem like she pulled it out the air. Olivia comes and wow is she pissed. Nothing like a little revenge to stop a ghost from moving on. RIchards brother killed her, well thats a shock. SHe sends out a shockwave and the circle breaks. Paige gets possessed by Olivia.

NExt scene, Rose McGowan decides to put on her "acting" hat and play possessed. I swear she is trying way to hard to sound sexy and possessed at the same time. By the way possessions dont change your voice so stop with the sexy possessions. A long story short, a mini battle occurs in the house. THe editing and direction of this scene is flawless. It goes really well with the whole mood. A guy shoots an energy ball at richards brother and mother. His brother screamed for his mother and I swear that guy sent a shiver down my back with his scream. THis makes Richard return to the dark side but the energy is stopped by Piper. Funny her reaction is so fast for RIchards but not the other guys, what the hell? ANyway Rose once again graces us with her fantastic crying abilities and orbs Rich to a crypt.

Piper blows the coffin up and Olivia exits Paige. THe scene is anticimatic because I was expecting her to be vanquished but Paige gives her a pep talk and she moves on. WHat a let down. THe sparks between P and R have begun. ALso CHris gives the girls his blocking potion so Phoebe can finally shut the hell up and Leo shuts Chris down.

A really good episode, just a bit slow. THe action and drama was really intense.
  • Love's a Witch

Love's a Witch was a superb episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching this episode because the story was very entertaining. It was interesting to see other magical families, though I found their feud to be a little humorous. It was great to watch the sisters help them deal with their issues as Leo tracked Chris to see what he was really up to. There were some interesting developments and I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!
  • The main thread of the story is centered around a pseudo Romeo and Juliet feud between two magical families... Paige tries to get some independance an her sisters try to let her be...Leo doesn't trust Chris at all and tries to watch him in his enigmatic w

Phoebe's empathy is becoming more and more of a problem in this episod.It's really anoying for her sisters and for mystery-Chris... If the main thread is quite classic and the moment when Paige convince the spirit to cross over is almost laughable by it's simplicity and naïvety, the parts about Chris trying to obtain a strange potion and Leo's mistrust of him are really good... We ask ourselves many questions about the new Charmed ones' white ladder who is the main interest of this season! Despite some "fun" episods the sixth season is quite a dark one, maybe the darkest and it really starts with this episod.
  • Always in trouble

This episode was very adventuous, Paige taking all these temp jobs which all have easons behind them. Involving her sisters was kind of a path for Paige. The idea of bringing the families together was kind of strange since Paige had no idea of what the families were about. It was eree to see Paige in the casket with Richard. It was nice though that Paige was able to set the ghost free without vanquishing her. But whats up with Richard's eyebrow? Also if Paige is half whitelighter why can't she heal? Or heal herself. That always confused me. But all in all a good episode
  • A witch war.

No demons in this episode? Weird. But this episode is great, special and of course, not boring at all.

Two families, all witches (or wizards), have a battle in order to seek revenge for Olivia, Richard Montana's girlfriend, who is dead. Paige Matthews gets involved when she was hit by an energy ball.

After Piper makes a potion, she discover Paige was hit by a plasma ball, a power that is produce by a spirit. Later on, Olivia possessed Paige, so that she can talk to Richard.

Richard Montana, who claimed that he dosn't used his power anymore, hit his enemy an energy ball. But Piper screwed everything and Richard was hit. There's where Olivia takes Richard away, a troublesome spirit.
  • War of the Witches

Any episode that begins with a granny spouting ''those sons of bitches missed me!'' get a thumbs up from me. A grittier episode of Charmed than usual, ''Love's a Witch'' showcases a side of magic with welcomed bloody results. And, while Phoebe maybe be at her most annoying here, the hour also marks the show finally addressing Phoebe's empathy power head on and finding a potion to completely nullify the effects on her sisters. Huzzah! Leo is still hounding Chris about the whole Valhalla incident, but it's hard to muster up any feelings whatsoever when Drew Fuller basically sleeps his way through each episode. It's also another episode that ends with yet another downer resolve. The writers seem to only manage time for Piper and Leo's marital issues come the episode's end, which kind of puts a tinge on everything that went on before. Regardless, this is a solid effort, and Rose McGowan gives a steady performance, although her go-to possession voice has gotten a little irritating at this stage. Mummies, vamps, ghosts, it's the same every time! Bah!
  • Neighbours at war

A hectic episode with plenty of intrigue and good stories for all the cast. The main plot, involving a feud between two witchy and very wealthy families, does take a while to get going but this isn't a huge problem as there is plenty of action elsewhere.

The idea of feuding families is hardly new, but it hasn't been done on this show before. To be truthful, I wasn't remotely interested who was responsible, I was just hoping it would build into a decent bunfight, which I'm glad to say it did. Some good blood and guts along the way! The séance was a great scene, although I was disappointed it ended with one of the sisters being possessed AGAIN. How many more times is this going to happen?

All the characters have their own plots this week. Paige is still looking for a life beyond the Charmed Ones and ends up becoming embroiled in the feud. She also succeeds in hitting on the leading man.

In a desperate attempt to stop Phoebe finding out his secret, Chris goes to some dodgy back street wizard for a potion. Unfortunately for him, Leo is watching from the shadows. I love all the intrigue around these two and I really hope it blows up soon. This is the first time we hear Chris refer to Leo as "Dad", although it's hidden in a reference to Wyatt.

Phoebe's new power is driving everyone mad, including most of the viewers. I had to laugh when Paige orbed that apple into her mouth; one of the funniest scenes ever. Good also to see her hovering over the hoovering. Piper is dating in a desperate attempt to get over Leo. It won't work, of course, but I did feel very sorry for Leo when she said she wanted a divorce. Some nice acting by Brian.

So here we are in episode five and so far this season the sisters have vanquished one evil being (and that was in the first ten minutes of the first episode). Are they going soft?