Charmed

Love's A Witch

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 2003 on The WB

• Revenge, Love and Possessions, Oh My!

THis episode was a bit slow but had great writing. THe writers seem to be having fun with Paiges subplot this season. Her wish to be away from the Power of Three is totally absurd and her temp jobs just prove that. Destiny always gets its way and you cant run away from it. In this episode anothe rone of Paiges temp jobs leads her back into her witchworld.

We begin with Paige requesting a normal job. Of course that means being a nanny to an old person. But this isnt your typical old lady, she is on one side of this feud thats going on. An energy ball blasts through the window and it should have blown Paige to bits but no she gets a nasty cut on her shoulder. I was perplexed because those things are meant to kill.

We pick up with Piper cleaning up the house and Phoebe levitating above. OK I am glad the writers remembered another power she has but this bit is a waste of money. ANd besides she has a pillow under her and I have no idea how its staying there. THe point of the scene is to exploit Phoebes power of empathy and explain Pipers nervousness of dating. Finally the girl decides to go out and date. Leave Leo in the clouds where he belongs. In any event Paige storms in and the scene focuses on her. THeres a nice little part where Phoebe plummets to the ground, I found it cool. In the kitchen Phoebes power becomes a pain in the butt even for me. ALthough it must be cool to feel what people really feel about you. Paige wants to do the investigation all by herself, again. I get she wants to be seperate but come on havent you learned solo acts rarely work out.

MEanwhile CHris is off doing his own thing. ANd of course Leo is watching him like a moron. CHris wants a empath blocking potion, I do not blame him. SOme weird guy with no front teeth is making it but says it takes time. Leo is listening in but he is invisible. THat is definately the worst effect so far this season. It looked absolutely horrid. Over at the manor Phoebe is slutting Piper up and Piper makes that clear to her sis. Her power provides some funny lines but eventually Phoebe acts like the sister she is and encourages Piper to go through with it. I ahve to admit the scenes with Leo and CHris are hilarious. THey play off each other really well(total shock) and theres just a bunch of sarcastic humor flying around.

Paige meets a young guy named Richard. HE knows about the flying energy balls and lets Paige in on the feud history. RIchard isnt all that clear about it and the whole thing sounds suspicious. THe ghost effects rock in this episode. Apparently Richards gf is behind the whole thing. I found that to be a bit too convenient but whatever. It was a nice little twist but kind of cliche. THe way her revenge scene is filmed is quite entertaining. THey focus in on her face and then zoom out, really cool. ANyway she kills the father and once again he doesnt blow up but we find out why a bit later. The guys stomach looks like it exploded and is really disgusting. Nothing can compare to it except the eye gouging from last season.

Scream session at the manor. Paige and Phoebe go full throttle. I was rather impressed at how much this fight sounded like an actual sisterly fight. Meanwhile CHris interupts Pipers date. CHris is concerned she likes him which is a huge fricking clue. Brad Kern is screaming at us, he wants us to know who CHris is. Piper stops the scream session and they bump there heads together. Piper orders a mediation between the families. Piper is totally the middle sister in this episode.

Apparently this ghost is using plasma balls and not energy balls. YOu fooled me, they look exactly the same but whatever. THe mediation goes out the window and they start a siance. Paige is about to blow a gasget but she casts the spell. I found that weird since she didnt know about the siance and it didnt seem like she pulled it out the air. Olivia comes and wow is she pissed. Nothing like a little revenge to stop a ghost from moving on. RIchards brother killed her, well thats a shock. SHe sends out a shockwave and the circle breaks. Paige gets possessed by Olivia.

NExt scene, Rose McGowan decides to put on her "acting" hat and play possessed. I swear she is trying way to hard to sound sexy and possessed at the same time. By the way possessions dont change your voice so stop with the sexy possessions. A long story short, a mini battle occurs in the house. THe editing and direction of this scene is flawless. It goes really well with the whole mood. A guy shoots an energy ball at richards brother and mother. His brother screamed for his mother and I swear that guy sent a shiver down my back with his scream. THis makes Richard return to the dark side but the energy is stopped by Piper. Funny her reaction is so fast for RIchards but not the other guys, what the hell? ANyway Rose once again graces us with her fantastic crying abilities and orbs Rich to a crypt.

Piper blows the coffin up and Olivia exits Paige. THe scene is anticimatic because I was expecting her to be vanquished but Paige gives her a pep talk and she moves on. WHat a let down. THe sparks between P and R have begun. ALso CHris gives the girls his blocking potion so Phoebe can finally shut the hell up and Leo shuts Chris down.

A really good episode, just a bit slow. THe action and drama was really intense.