Charmed

Muse to My Ears

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 13, 2001 on The WB

• Warlocks killing demons this is strange and then why are muses' suddenly disappering. With the help of the Charmed ones muse will they be able to defeat them?

This was a funny episode with the charmed ones and how they got overloaded on inspiration. It's a good episode not one of my favorites, but it still is a good one. I don't like that Cole doesn't have his powers any more. He was always more fun with powers. Also Paige starts to give up drawing and she is really good, but I know that someone else draws those. this was a good episode, very funny, and it didn't have a too outrageous storline for the series. I gave it a 9.7 because it was a good episode, but wasn't one of my favorites episodes ever.
  • Electric Fuse to My Ears, Please

4.1
    A contrived episode which is one of those season four hours which is usually forgotten about, as are many of the other filler episodes Charmed did around this time.

Muse to My Ears sees the sisters discovering a demon is using a mystical ring to suck in muses, who spread inspiration to their charges. It gets personal when the girl's muse, Melody, is put at risk. Meanwhile, Cole adjusts to his new-found humanity.

The A-story of this episode is pure filler material. The idea of Muses is interesting but the writers don't do much to evolve on it, creating a storyline which essentially goes nowhere. It also suffers from the fact that neither the sister's muse or the demon-of-the-week are that great. Siobhan Flynn is just grating as Melody and, whilst Anthony Starke's performance is pretty good, Devlin is just a carbon copy of most other demons on the show that he's just annoying.

Cole's subplot is slightly more interesting but mostly boring. His overlong talking scenes with Phoebe seem to drag on for ages and it isn't helped that most of the things they're debating had been discussed last episode.

Not the best of episodes and suffering from a slow pace, Muse to My Ears has an intriguing premise but fails to go anywhere with it.

Director: Joel J Feigenbaum
    Writer: Krista Vernoff
    Rating: D
  • Amusing

Cole is adjusting to being a human now & is having some trouble doing so. No more shimmering, it's taking him longer to get from point A to point B. Also he's now worried that without his powers he can't protect Pheobe anymore.

Now that the source is injured the charmed ones are in even more danger than before with the demons now banning together to take out the source, and to insure that they gather more followers the first thing that demon has to do is kill the Charmed one's.

The Muse part was entertaining & funny, especially when everyone got an overload of insperation.
  • Brilliand episode one od my favourite.

Now that the Source is wounded, Cole worries that various forces of evil will target the Charmed Ones in order to prove themselves worthy of taking the Source's place. The girls soon learn that Cole's fears were justified when Devlin, a warlock, uses the Ring of Inspiration to capture muses and use their powers to inspire a faction of warlocks help him destroy the Charmed Ones and to overthrow The Source. Meanwhile, while still trying to adjust to his loss of his demonic powers, Cole buys a gun in order to help protect Phoebe.
  • We are not amused

A bit of a come down after last week but I guess that was always going to be the case. This week is all about Cole coming to terms with the loss of his powers. There's a lot of soulsearching and he does come across as a bit of a whingebag. To be fair, though, it can't be easy going from high octane super-demon to unemployed house husband in the time it takes to throw a potion.

As predicted by Cole, the demon plot sees a bunch of warlocks banding together to challenge the Source. To do this, the writer comes up with the rather bizarre idea of giving the head warlock a magic ring which can be used to trap muses, who will then inspire the warlocks to find a way to kill the Charmed Ones and, in doing so, take the place of the Source. Follow? Me neither.

It's nice to see some warlock action for a change. I was beginning to think the writers had forgotten about them. Interestingly, this is the first time they are shown together with demons. It's also the bloodthirstiest episode to date, with six warlocks and two demons vanquished. Leo seems almost sad when Cole kills one of his demonic mates in the underworld. Why? Demons are bad! Sort it out, lighter boy!

The idea of muses is different but not really my cup of tea, despite a reasonable guest actress. That said, the scene where everyone is getting inspired at once is rather comical. Funny how the sisters have never heard of any these beings until they show up on the doorstep. Do they never read the BoS?

The well tasty Graham Shiels makes another fleeting appearance this week, having appeared as a darklighter in episode 3:11. On this basis, we should get to see him again early in Season Five. Think I'll buy the DVD now.
  • An A-"Muse"-ing Episode

7.8
    Muse To My Ears-The Halliwell sisters must find a way to release Muses which have been abducted by a warlock who is attempting to build an evil faction in the absence of the Source.

Maybe it's just me, but I always found "Muse To My Ears" a funny episode, while the plot is typical for Charmed, the actors certainly much more entertaining throughout. The whole cast is brillaint when the Muse comes into play, especially when they all full of so much inspiration it exrupts into some hiarlious scenes. From Phoebe's constantly writing to Piper being so in control to Paige's drawing to Cole being so assertive, it all come together so well. Then there was Cole and Phoebe arguing about their issues and it's nice the writers are making Cole's dilemma about being human a factor. It makes Cole and Phoebe's relationship more surreal as both are concern with Cole's safety.

Anthony Starke (Devlin) was also entertaining villian and I loved how he could easily manipulated the other warlocks to play a part in his plans. I also loved the mini-brawl at P3 with the sisters vanquishing some warlocks before going after Devlin. The episode ends on a really touching note with Cole and Phoebe dressed up 40's style and dancing in the middle of P3. It's a beautiful scene that's often forgotten by Charmed fans. All and All, "Muse To My Ears" is a very enjoyable and entertaining that is seen as average fluff my most Charmed fans, but I enjoyed it a lot more than others.
  • Muses make you lose control.

Awful, awful title aside, there's actually quite a bit to enjoy from 'Muse to My Ears' (it makes no sense!). Cole is dealing with his life without his powers ('I will not be your houseboy') while Phoebe tries to adjust to the idea of being a wife. And there's a bunch of warlocks stealing powers from demons and taking out muses for their inspiration, but that's less exciting than it seems. The little comedic break where the Muse's presence causes some slight disruption among the ranks of the good guys is quite funny, but there's very little here that could be classed as memorable, if anything at all. Piper's little strobe light idea was a good one, I'll give her that, and the twist, while predictable, worked out in the end, proving that Cole isn't useless. And what's with all of the Cole/Leo bonding, eh? Surely the white-lighter would get into some trouble for leaving his charges and taking a day trip down to the underworld with an ex-demon? Tsk.
  • To Muse or not to Muse, that is the question.

There's quite a bit going on in this episode. First of all, the naughty demons are taking advantage of the fact that The Source seems to be tempoarily on the missing list and some a trying to build a rival faction. Bad idea. He won't like that one little bit.

Meanwhile, lovely Muses are disappearing and being held captive, which means that many a great speech is not being written and there is a lot of writer's block around. It's up to the Halliwells to try and find out where the Muses are being kept so that they can free them, but that isn't as easy as it appears. Meanwhile, what is going to happen when The Source finds out that his own people are plotting against him? Quite a bit, I imagine! He certainly won't be pleased.
  • Give me back my Muse!

In what is average Charmed fare, the acting and dialogue carry a somewhat uninspired demonic storyline.

Yes, Cole is human, and that is quite the change for a super demon used to shimmering and throwing energy balls. Props to the writers for handling his dilemma in a very realistic manner, and Julian is excellent throughout, as usual.

This is a fairly rare lighthearted episode for Season 4, featuring a fair amount of a comedy and a warlock who looks like he should be one of Paige's one week boyfriends. The comedy best comes off when the Muse inspires the entire cast; not the first nor the last time a convention similar to this will be used on the show.

As hinted, the warlock, though I do appreciate finally seeing a warlock again, is not especially effective. The notion that this joker could replace the Source is great comedy indeed, and it is hard to believe the Underworld would be looking to regroup so soon when the Source isn't even vanquished.

• Give me back my Muse!

The ending at the club was a strange scene, but it was great to see Cole and Leo working together once again. This episode also has the shortest possession/impersonation in Charmed history, as amazingly, Piper realizes that Leo isn't Leo in about 5 seconds.

• Muse to My Ears

Muse to My Ears was another perfectly entertaining episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, drama, intrigue and magic. It was interesting to see Muses in the series and what the Warlock was planning to do with them was a great concept. It was fun watching Cole and Leo working together to help the sisters. It was nice to see Piper taking over as the oldest sister as she was looking out for Phoebe. I liked the ending and certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!