Charmed

Muse to My Ears

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 13, 2001 on The WB

• We are not amused

A bit of a come down after last week but I guess that was always going to be the case. This week is all about Cole coming to terms with the loss of his powers. There's a lot of soulsearching and he does come across as a bit of a whingebag. To be fair, though, it can't be easy going from high octane super-demon to unemployed house husband in the time it takes to throw a potion.

As predicted by Cole, the demon plot sees a bunch of warlocks banding together to challenge the Source. To do this, the writer comes up with the rather bizarre idea of giving the head warlock a magic ring which can be used to trap muses, who will then inspire the warlocks to find a way to kill the Charmed Ones and, in doing so, take the place of the Source. Follow? Me neither.

It's nice to see some warlock action for a change. I was beginning to think the writers had forgotten about them. Interestingly, this is the first time they are shown together with demons. It's also the bloodthirstiest episode to date, with six warlocks and two demons vanquished. Leo seems almost sad when Cole kills one of his demonic mates in the underworld. Why? Demons are bad! Sort it out, lighter boy!

The idea of muses is different but not really my cup of tea, despite a reasonable guest actress. That said, the scene where everyone is getting inspired at once is rather comical. Funny how the sisters have never heard of any these beings until they show up on the doorstep. Do they never read the BoS?

The well tasty Graham Shiels makes another fleeting appearance this week, having appeared as a darklighter in episode 3:11. On this basis, we should get to see him again early in Season Five. Think I'll buy the DVD now.