Charmed

Necromancing the Stone

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 04, 2003 on The WB

• Necromancing the Stone

Necromancing the Stone was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, intriguing and full of character development. Grams returns to discover her grandchild is a boy which leads to some tension with her and Piper as Phoebe must make a major decision about her and Jason's future, and Paige learns the truth about her boyfriend. There were some shocking revelations as it's found out Grams dated the necromancer and Paige's boyfriend has a secret double life. I liked the ending where Grams was successful in vanquishing the necromancer's spirit and performing the wiccaning on Wyatt. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Men Suck.

While it's always good to have grams pop down for a visit, it's a pity her return is in such a perfunctory main storyline. What should have been a subplot in a better episode is stretched too thin, resulting in an hour driven by subplots instead of one strong main arc. Paige wants to use the truth spell with a guy she met last week: filler, boring, and more filler. Jason asks Phoebe to live in Hong Kong, will she go? Of course not. Boring. And Piper has a fallout with Grams, which is curiously underplayed given what Gram says about Wyatt. The less said about the necromancer, the better. It's all watchable, of course, in a boring sort of way. The ending, too, is admittedly sweet, something Charmed can do well when given the right motivation. Very skippable.

• Grams vs. Men

Necromancing the Stone-When Grams comes to the manor for a Wiccan birthing ceremony, for Wyatt, the sisters find out that she has brought a memory from her past, a former lover who wants to kill the Charmed Ones and bring back the love they once shared. Meanwhile, Phoebe contemplates Jason's invitation, even though it will take her away from her family, and Paige casts a truth spell to figure out if Nate can accept her being a witch.

It's always good to have Jennifer Rhodes back. Even an rather boring episode like this one can be brought up a notch or two thanks to her charming and warm presence on the series. Grams' return is welcomed, considering she brings up a major plot point this season that been pretty glance over: Piper had a boy! It was a pretty big twist and the fact that he's the first male of the Haliwell line does raise some questions that Leo and the sisters have been avoiding. Thankfully, the writers finally address this and I'm also glad Grams was the one pushing for these questions. Afterall, she takes a lot pride in her family and her wiccan duties, so it's normal that she of all people would be a bit frustrated over the baby's gender. While Grams went a little overboard with the male bashing, her agrument with Piper made sense and they both made some good points about their men in their lives and how they became corrupted with power (Although, did we really need more COloe bashing, the guy did more good than bad to Phoebe in the end, seriously) Also, consdering how powerful the baby will be (and what we know what Wyatt will soon become in the future next season) Grams has reason to be worried. Though, I'm pretty sure the writers weren't thinking far ahead consdering....well.......the writing was taking a nose dive this season in terms of quality.

Anyway, Grams get the sisters to go after a Necromancer and it turns out to be a former lover of Grams. Sure it makes sense given where Grams'men hating probably started but ehh, the story is just so dull and plays likePhoebe/Cole-lite. Actually, your pretty much begging him to get vanquished considering he's such a love sicked sap and can't even come off like a decent villain like Cole before he got vanquished (for good I mean!) To make matters worse we get a dumb plot with Jason making an offer to Phoebe to join him in Hong Kong for six months. Yeah, it's natural given they've been dating for a few weeks, maybe even a month or so, but the way it's written couldn't make sense to a 10 year old. So Phoebe decides to go without even talking about it with her sisters and then suddenly she doesn't without giving Jason a good reason to stay. Suddenly, you "belong here" and "aren't ready" Phoebe when you made such an abrupt decision to go less than 24 hours ago. Jeeze!! Jason should have never came back! Anyway, the last scene of the episode really shines though. Wyatt's wiccan is a classic Charmed moment filled with ghosts of past Haliwell witches, some beautiful scoring and "Blessed Be" thrown in for good measure. No matter how forgettable the episode is, the ending makes it worth is. "Necromancing the Stone" is your typical Charmed hour save some great Grams bits and plot movement on Wyatt's part.

• Wyatt's wiccaning. So cute!

This episode was very different to me, because for once, it was about Grams. I loved it. The story with her and her lover, Phoebe's decision, or at least, struggling to find an answer to her own question, and most of all, Paige's dealing with Nate. That was the part that I remembered the most before I re-watched the episode after more than 3 years. I still don't understand why Grams was so pessimistic about Wyatt being a boy. So what? Change is good. And it's awesome that she finally saw it. I still don't understand what was in Phoebe's head when she said "Yes" to China, even with orbing and such. But then again, I've never been truly in love.
    My favourite scene in the episode would have to be "My wife is gonna love this! - What? You're married?!".
    An amazing episode, watch it if you haven't!
  • Who needs a man anyway?

An interesting episode but one which goes over a lot of old ground.

Wyatt's wiccaning (cool word) is about to take place and Grams is summoned to conduct the ceremony. She reacts badly to Wyatt being a boy and the rest of the episode then revolves around her issues with men. In a carbon copy of "Just Harried", what should have been Piper's storyline is hijacked by another family member.

While I do like Grams as a character, building an episode around her doesn't really work. Her relationship with the Necromancer might have been shocking earlier in the series but, after two and half years of Cole and Phoebe, we've been there and we've done that. Jennifer Rhodes is great at chipping in from the sidelines but she doesn't convince as a lead. The demon himself is a blatant rehash of Necron from the season opener. I didn't think the guest actor was particularly good and I cringed at the sight of yet another 'comedy' sidekick.

To tie in with the man-hating theme, both Paige and Phoebe have relationship problems. Credit to the writers for not dragging Piper down the same path.

Paige's use of the truth spell on Nate is a very pale imitation of the time Prue used it on Andy. It's not funny and, frankly, I don't know why they bothered. The Truth is Out There and It Hurts" is a series classic and should be respected as such.

Phoebe has to decide whether to go to Hong Kong with Mr Dull and very wisely chooses not to. A good decision but hardly a good use of airtime.

I'll end on a positive. Grams's reaction to Wyatt is a fantastic twist and by far the best part of the episode. It's totally unexpected and really throws a spanner in the works. I was shocked at how cold she could be to her own flesh and blood. Like the Crone, she hints that Wyatt is destined to turn evil. Is this because he was conceived under the Seer's spell in "The Fifth Halliwell"? I'd love to think so.
  • This one was almost perfect! The whole original demon idea, the familiar theme, the clever visual effects and a great camera job makes this episode be one of the best in season 5! Besides this episode has the best photography in the whole Charmed story

I didn't like this episode at first but if I keep seeing it... I find it so special and clever! Fantastic! Xd I know that has not tons of action but this episode was more like a familiar episode, a relaxing hour where you can find the family/love theme in the light spot.

The whole story was so great! The wiccaning, they are ghost, a demon that control ghots, Grams that is a ghost, a love story between them, he needs life and that way he can get it. I think that the writers did a fabolous story in here. It was not a demon trying to get their powers or something, besides the demon was very original. So I think that we can say that the story is not boring at all! The writting in this episode was truly remarkable... Some sentences were such original. I loved specially the talk between Piper and Grams, and the final Grams dialogue to Piper when she asks for a second chance.

I give a 10 to the off-screen job! That is why this episode is so good! The job that they did outside was perfect:

The visual effects were perfect! And they did a freaky-scary-demon at the very beginning of this episode. Some great visual effects were the demon teleporting... It was a great new and original teleport, like smoke in brown! And it was awesome the effect in the resurrection! :D And what about the fight scene! It was one of the best fight scenes in season 5. Piper flying troguh the room!!! GREAT!

The camera was so 10! I have to really say like a important thing that the effect that they did when Grams is summoned was brilliant! We don't see it very well but first the shot is about Grams and the Necromancer and suddenly Paige and Piper are after Grams but she has not change the spot!!! It was a brilliant effect! You just have to see it! :D And the first scene was brilliant filmed! love it

To end... The photography was great aswell in this episode, just remenber the awesome image when we see Phoebe in the hotel window looking at the plane! It was so a memorable image. And I absolutely loved the Necromancer cave set! The photography there was cool too, and the candles did it beutiful...

The only bad thing of this episode is the freaky-hated fairy and the whole repeat the truth spell again. Anyway, it is a 9.5 episode! GREAT
  • B- I think.

The time has come for baby Wyatt's Wiccan birthing ceremony. For the occasion, the Charmed One's grandmother brings along a special guest: the personified memory of her former lover, the Necromancer. Unfortunately, he plans to kill the girls so that he and Grams will be together without any outside forces impeding their romance. In other developments, Phoebe's relationship with Jason might damage her relationship with her sisters, and Paige casts a truth spell on her boyfriend, Nate, to see if he can handle the truth about her being a witch but as Paige wants to find out will Nate be ok with her being a witch, he suprisingly is !! but then Paige hears some shocking news from the him!! I thought this episode was a great it was quite different then a usuall Charmed episode I thought that Jeniffer Rhodes did a great job as she always does when the time is right to summon Grams and this episode was very funny but i wouldn't of put it in the last 3 episodes to be honest it would have fitted in fine in a middle episode and it was a very revealling episode at least phoebe wasn't the only halliwell to be in a relationship with a demon !!.
  • Following on the story idea "Sense and Sense Ability" by Brian Krause, "Necromaning the Stone" is the second and final episode that Norman Reedus guest stars in. It should not be missed.

Norman Reedus really distinguishes himself in the hilarious episode, "Necromaning the Stone." Reedus, playing the role of Nate Harper, is great as a guy that gets sucked into Paige's truth spell. While Paige just wanted to find out if Nate would be able to handle the fact that she is a witch, the spell backfires as she finds out he is married. She orbs him to jail. Reedus is most convincing in his typical "bad boy" role who lives a double life.

Anytime "Grams" is featured makes Charmed particularly campy. She is expected to bless Wyatt in the presence of all the Halliwell MATRIarchs. Expecting to bless a girl, she's a hoot having to accept and bless the male, Wyatt. To top matters even more, her early relationship with Necromancer, Chris Saradon is exposed. Grams does 'naughty' past very nicely.
  • Yes another Grams episode but this time, with more character development that you would hardly believe she was a dead character.

One thing that made this episode great was the way the subplots were integrated to make it somewhat a masterpiece.

Necromancing the Stone featured the return of the wonderful Jennifer Rhodes on Baby Wyatt\'s wiccaning. And as usual she\'s still on with the male bashing. However it affects Piper and Leo when they both realise she wont perform the wiccaning because he\'s not a girl. Paige on the other hand cast a truth spell on Nate to find out he has a wive and kids and Phoebe contemplates over having to go to Hong Kong with Jason.

Many references to the past was made in this episode. From the spells to great episodes like Morality Bites. But most of all the portrayal of Penny was just exception. We have seen her express her hatred for men in other episodes but this time it wasnt just to add a bit of funny lines. She actually expressed her concern that something could be wrong since every member of her line had always been women. And then out of no where, we realise she used to date a demon. EXCRUCIATING! Of all characters?! it was a shocker. Which explains my love for S5 episodes. There\'s always a twist which sortta keeps you on the edge!

Jason and Phoebe got an advance on their relationship. And this time, its not just sex. Things get real down to earth with them. And for once Phoebe seems to date a random guy that wants to pursue the relationship. But she ultimately refuses to go to Hong Kong with him because of her Charmed duties (which by the way i didnt find the excuse as credible as the one she gave for wanting to go in the first place)

Paige and Nate were just wonderful. Atleast here the story wasnt just recycled in a weird way; it actually brought some humour to the hour. Paige\'s acting was great...considering. And we dont just get a lame exit from Nate\'s character. He actually had a reason for leaving.

With the demonic vanquish, it was not creative but it is quite exciting that past episodes were not forgotten or copied wrongly. Even the truth spell was editted in order not to cause the catastrophe it did in the first episode.

All in all, apart from the fact that lines had to be repeated, the episode was memorable with different qualities here and there. And our Wyatt had his wiccaning with all the ancestors present.

And by the way, so many wardrobe changes, and not one wrong outfit? is this the same Eilish we\'re talking about here?

• Necromacing the Groan

1.9
    A painfully boring episode which does nothing but confirm that Grams is pretty good in moderation but having her be the center of an entire Charmed hour is the dullest thing on earth.

Necromacing the Stone sees the sisters summoning Grams for Wyatt's wiccaning. Whilst continuing her trademark "man-hate" and complaining about the fact that Piper's offspring has a penis, she also tries to get her nieces to kill The Necromancer, a demon who she also once dated.

Paige's troubles involve a truth spell on her sleazy boyfriend Nate. Seeing as the plot device was used by Prue way back in season one, in an awesome episode I may add, it does nothing for the writer's reputation when they dig up an old story and use it in such an unneeded, pointless way. It also doesn't help that you completely don't care about Paige's relationship issues and Nate, who remains absolutely personality-less. The subplot also wastes Darryl, who continues his evolution into Tin Man.

Phoebe's troubles involve her debating whether she should move to Hong Kong with Jason, who buys her a Chinese-American dictionary. Uh, seeing as she spelled her own name "Pheobe" in A Witch's Tail, do you really think she'll be able to learn a whole language, Editor Boy? Please.

The only interesting thing about this episode is the parallels between the relationship between Grams and Armand and Phoebe and Cole. It's pretty intriguing but a subplot that's hardly that important according to the writers, who instead decided to spend the majority of the screen time on the "What Happened?"-ness of Chris Sarandon and Grams' man-abuse.

Combining some phoned-in performances, tedious demonic lackeys, boring relationships and the god-damn fairy (Who. Just. Will. Not. Die.), this could have shaped up to be one of the worst Charmed hours. But, seeing as it's sooo boring and overlong, you just can't gather together any feelings or emotions for it.

Director: Jon Paré
    Writers: Henry Alonso Myers, Allison Schapker, Monica Breen
    Rating: D
  • this is about wyatt's wiccaning and Grams' old flame a demon!!!(so stupid!!!)

This is one of the episode I completely hate. It is so stupid and I really think all the other episodes of charmed are great. It's just this one is about grams who they shouldn't be making episodes about all the episodes with her should be minor roles. I gave this episode an 8.7 and I was being generous. It really is just one of those terrible episodes.
TNT