Charmed

Pardon My Past

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 17, 2000 on The WB

• I want to take you back. Way back.

This is a really interesting idea for an episode and certainly stands out from the others. I had to watch it a couple of times to understand some of the finer points but I have to say, for such a complicated storyline, it hangs together pretty well.

Almost all the action takes place at the Manor. This may sound dull but, with all the flashbacks, it's anything but. The twenties scenes are truly superb and they really draw you into the plot. Ten out of ten for the outfits, the soundtrack and the direction, particularly that first scene as you walk with evil Phoebe into the house.

Alyssa Milano plays her evil self brilliantly, picking up where she left off in "Is there a woogy in the house?" The way she struts about so brazenly is just awesome. I hope they give her more roles like this in future.

The only problem I have with this episode is the concept of reincarnation, as this doesn't tie in with anything else on the show. If the Halliwells' souls are continually being recycled, how come Patty and Penny have both appeared to the sisters as ghosts? Surely they would be in new bodies by now? I also thought it a little ridiculous that Dan and Piper were husband and wife in the past, given that Dan disappears completely from her life at the end of the season.

Scene of the week has to be the three way catfight on the floor. It's not often we get to see the Charmed Ones slapping each other up like this, and certainly not in stockings and suspenders. Enjoy!