Charmed

Payback's A Witch

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 15, 2006 on The WB

• BORED, BORED, BORED

Bored, bored, bored

This has to be the dullest episode of the whole series. I spent the whole hour waiting for something even mildly interesting to happen but to no avail. In a yawn inducing nutshell: Phoebe and Piper hold a birthday party for Wyatt while Paige and Billie get taken hostage in a bank.

It's been a while since we've had a Wyatt based episode. It doesn't start too badly; the opening scene between Piper and Wyatt is quite touching and I liked Phoebe's spell to get the bear to talk. However, it then goes completely down the pan and the rest of the hour comprises little more than three blokes in silly costumes running around at a kids' party (though the soldier is quite fit).

Paige and Billie's plot is even worse. Henry tries to help an ex-con get a bank loan. When the bank says no, the ex-con whips out a gun and takes everyone hostage. Nothing happens for a very long time then Henry gets shot and Paige heals him. It's about time Paige had a new power so this is good to see. On the other hand, Billie's 'potion' is ridiculous. A bit of tobacco and the contents of someone's make-up bag? Come on!

Both plots are also incredibly predictable. I don't whether I have been watching Charmed for too long or whether the writers are just getting lazy but I saw every twist coming a mile off. As soon as I saw the three toys being lined up I knew they were going to come to life. It was also a given that the demon was going to possess the gunman at some point and Paige glamouring into Billie was so obvious it was painful.

It must have cost a lot to make this instalment as there are stacks of guest actors, several big scenes and even a helicopter buzzing around the set. Shame they couldn't spend a little more on the plot. And will someone please teach Wyatt to speak. No kid can possibly be that quiet.

Score: 7.7