Charmed

Pilot

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 01, 1998 on The WB

• The pilot episode of Charmed grabbed me, hook, line, and sinker! Fabulous first episode.

I totally loved the pilot episode of Charmed. It was so neat seeing the sisters find that they had supernatural powers, and freak out about them! My favorite scene has gotta be when Piper freezes her boyfriend/warlock in the episode when he tries to stab her. The entire episode was so exciting. Prue quickly became my favorite because she was the leader, and so powerful. She made the sisters so strong. Also, she's such a great female role model. After seeing the pilot I watched Charmed for the first four seasons. In my opinion, the first two were the best, and the pilot was my all-time second favorite episode.
  • Lori Wrong

3.9
    The unaired pilot of Charmed never aired on TV so the only way you can see it is by downloading from various places on the internet. The most interesting thing about this pilot is that there is another actress playing Phoebe. I'm not a big fan of Alyssa (actually, I don't like her at all) but thank god the producers decided to re-cast as Lori Rom can't act to save her life.

The episode has the exact same storyline as the normal pilot except for a couple of scenes involving different dialogue, plus the effects in this episode aren't brilliant.

Lori Rom is absolutely awful as Phoebe. You see that she hasn't had much experience compared to Shannen and Holly and she expresses no emotion, despite the shocking predicament Phoebe and her sisters are put in. It's understandable that the producers wanted a different actress as the character of Phoebe is dragged down by Rom's performance. You get the impression that she just wasn't interested in the material. There's also a different actor playing Andy, instead of T.W. King we have Chris Boyd. He doesn't make much of an impression here and his performance seems slightly forced.

As this was just a rough-cut version of the pilot never intended for public viewing, I didn't expect much from it. It's identical to Something Wicca This Way Comes except for the two new actors as Phoebe and Andy. Most people will probably want to watch this just because of that but it's hardly worth it.

Rating: C-
  • When free spirited Phoebe recites a magical spell, she awakens long dormant magical powers in herself and her two, more career orientated, sisters. Now they must learn to balance work and romance with magic and supernatural villains.

The 1990's brought numerous supernatural-themed network television shows. This pilot illustrates why this series, with its original cast, managed to stand out in a crowded field. The chemistry with the sisters and other cast members, is amazing and the special effects and writing are both above average as well. This was not some cheesy, B- series or a simple action adventure series. It successfully combined supernatural adventure-themes with real life challenges (i.e. career and romance), third wave feminism and some moments that were sweet, if not really funny. The series started to go downhill fast, with the casting changes, but it was a really great series for awhile.
  • Vintage Charmed!

Ignoring the ridiculousness that was the original casting of Phoebe (all personal antagonisms towards Alyssa Milano aside, she ruled with that character and the show would not have been anywhere near as successful or long running without her), this episode is a true example of Charmed at its best. As much as I love Paige, when it comes down to it Prue was an original Charmed One and the dynamic just changed when she left, in particular the unfortunate changes of Piper's role as the older sister - I think the show played a little too much on the concept of the oldest sibling being the caretaker and the one with all the responsibility, because first Prue and then Piper were constantly yo-yoing between being magic junkies and then rebelling against it altogether, with a lot of over-acted whining in between. And frankly, Prue could pull off the whiny act while it grated on my nerves with Piper, who I liked much more as the sweet, awkward middle sister who kept the peace.
    Anyway, this episode really launched into the whole sisterly relationship and family orientation of the show. The three actresses throw themselves into their characters with class and pinache - this is probably one of the few episodes where I really can't criticise their acting. Phoebe was spirited, funny and likeable as the young troublemaker, while Prue as the slightly uptight, good natured older sibling brought a different layer to the show. And Piper in particular defies stereotype, as a unique and really lovable character.
    The plot is simple but intriguing, and the magic vibe combined with an interesting taste of the San Francisco underground succeeded in creating a fascinating first chapter of the Charmed saga. I would definitely recommend it!
  • Lori Rom Doesn't Fit The Part for Phoebe

I think many will agree that Lori Rom doesn't fit the part for Phoebe for many reasons. Only one reason I will say. She's very bad playing the part for Phoebe. As in, she's bad acting Phoebe. She's looks too old and unattractive to play Phoebe. Although, Alyssa Milano and Lori Rom are almost the same age, their appearance differs.

I didn't care about who played Inspector Andy Trudeau though. I don't really care for Andy in the show. The plot of this episode is still similar to "Something Wicca This Way Comes" of the regular Charmed series, which was aired.

I do recommend this episode if you liked Charmed since it's interesting if you compare it to "Something Wicca This Way Comes".
  • My review of the pilot episode.

Phoebe returns from New York to be with her sisters Prue and Piper. She finds the 'Book of Shadows' in the attic and reads an incantation that gives the sisters their witch powers. At the same time, a Warlock is killing all the witches to steal their powers, and is after the Halliwell sisters. This was a wonderful pilot to watch. We get to see how different Prue, Piper and Phoebe are, and I must admit that it was quite a twist for me to see who the Warlock turned out to be. Also, being a fan of the soap opera 'Days of our lives', I was excited to see one of the former actors of the show, Matt Ashford play the role of the backstabbing Roger in this episode. Some of the notable moments in this episode were when Prue and Andy got together, when the sisters use their powers for the first time (without their control), and when Prue gets angry at Roger. What I really liked about this episode was how they were able to combine the introduction to the characters, as well as show us a preview of what they could do with their powers, by demonstrating it on the Warlock. I loved watching this episode, and thought it was a great start to the series.
  • It was so special see the same episode but with so many changes! The very first "Charmed" moment we have... The set, the changes, and all!

Since the very beginning, with the weird "old" music, we can feel that is a piece of story of Charmed. I am not a very good fan of Alyssa so see Lori here is kinda interesting, anyway If I have to chose I prefer Alyssa. I think that the thing that get us crazy (At least me) is the set! xd At last we know how is the real manor inside and now we know why they didn't film there! Was just a room. So now I will no complain about the "weird" set that is not like the manor anymore.

I loved how in this episode a lot of things are explained better than the original pilot! For exemple why Andy is in the hospital, what the warlock says to Prue, the converstation between Piper and Phoebe, etc...

Anyway, I liked more the truly that this! Besides, the spider thing was so unexpected.
  • I am so glad they got a different phoebe.

5.5
    Ok. This episode and the second episode are the same except the character Phoebe is playhed by a different actress. I am very glad they made the change. NOt ot insult the actress who played her in this episode but she just didnt seem to fit so well. The episode was perfectly fine but the acting was ok. The sisters just didnt have the same bond as they do with Alyssa. Also i think they had a different Andy which i like the new one better. An ok start to a great show. At least they got to make another pilot with the new cast.
  • well i think that this episode was interestig because it was with another actress and even if she is not as good as allyssa it was the trully fist episode of this tv. program and for first time i can actually see the begining of all this.

the only thing that i didn´t like was that they put the same quotes and it would had been that the quotes were diferent and some of the scenes too because see exactly the same but with lory was a little boring because you were seeing the same episode nad i didn´t like that.
  • I have at last watched this episode.

I have at last watched this episode and i must say i am so glad that they get alyssa milano instead of lori rom. And i also like T.W. King as Andy better too. It was the same that aired but differnt at the same time. I am going to keep my rating of 1 cause i think alyssa and T.W. give it that extra boost needed to get a 10. I wish the cast good luck at finding something to do now that Charmed has been over for the last year or so. I think it could have lasted one more season.
  • Owning this on DVD allows me to compare and contrast this and official epidose 1. There are many subtle nuances that separate the two, however it is basically the same story. With a more sinister, dark, feeling about it than the aired episode does.

I have been lucky enough to see this episode and actually have a very solid dvd of it. I found it very rivoting, and enjoyed it as much, if not more, than I did the official episode 1. I found the actress who played Phoebe made Phoebe stronger, rather than weaker. Her physical stature kind of took away from Shannen's on screen dominance. Although I approved of the change in actresses in the long run, I can see where the story would have taken on a different air if it had not had the casting change. I find this episode is very important for seeing how the characters could have developed, versus how they did during the series. A great "what if" episode, and I highly reccommend watching it sometime.
  • This is the first ep of the really successful series charmned.

In the first episode, Piper and Prue are living together in the manor. They moved back into the manor after gram die, and have been living there for a couple of months. They have another sister Phoebe, who appears in this episode, she has come back, to live in the manor. Prue and Phoebe don't get on at this point (Phoebe was suppossed to have cheated with Prues ex or something lol) Piper is the middle sister and tries to get them talking. The magic beigns when Phoebe is playing with their spirit board and the pointer starts to move by itself. Its spells attic, and then the power goes out. Convinced that Phoebe is moving the pointer herself Prue doesnt believe it, until Phoebe manages to open the attic door (which the other were never able to get into) and she reads an incanation from the "Book of Shadows". Having unleashed the powers that had been binded until now, the 3 become the most powerful witches in the world "The Charmed Ones".
  • thank the lord for .......................

7.8
    alyssa milano she is so much better than llori rom . if you want to watch the piolt episode you can watch it on you tube . it almost exacly the same as somthing wicca comes this way ? but lori rom plys pheopbe and i say that alyssa milano is way better than lori rom .
  • Thank heavens for Alyssa Milano...

Wow! I am so happy that Lori Rom backed out of the show. She did not fit at all! She is supposed to be the youngest sister, but she looks like she's adopted. She is like 20 feet taller than Holly Marie Combs and Shannen Doherty! They just look so bizarre together. And that other Andy, I wasn't crazy about him. Plus, no Daryl! Other than that, the episode was pretty much the same. A few scenes were altered (such as the one where Prue meets Andy at the hospital), but it was interesting to see what was cut out. Like the scene between Piper and Phoebe on the side of the house, unless I have forgotten, I don't think we ever really see the side of the house like they showed it in that episode. All in all, I'm glad they brought in Alyssa Milano!
  • Alyssa Milano the Best choice for Phoebe

After finally seeing the orignal Pilot for Charmed I thinkm Lori Rom leaving the show for whatever reasons was the best thing for the show. She didn\'t seem to have the chemistry with Shannen and Holly that Alyssa does. I can\'t imagin the show lasting as long as it did if Lori had stayed...not that she\'s a bad actress just not right for the part. Plus Phoebe is the youngest sister she seemed older then the other two.

Casandra
  • why?

6.2
    this was the pilot episode of charmed. it was never aired on tv. you can only watch it by downloading it or watching it on the internet. lori rom wasnt great as phoebe and i am glad they decided to cast alyssa milano. a different person also plays andy ( i didnt really care didnt like him anyway) but they are noticable changes. i am glad they didnt air this episode and that they decide to air something wicca this way comes ( which was brilliant) and not this because this was bad.

its worth watching just to see it but it aint that great.

overall: thank god they aired something wicca this way comes.
  • This is the first ep of the really successful series charmned.

In the first episode, Piper and Prue are living together in the manor. They moved back into the inherited house, and have been living there for a couple of months. They have another sister Phoebe, who appears in this episode, she has come back, to live in the manor. Prue and Phoebe don't get on at this point (Phoebe was suppossed to have cheated with Prues ex or something lol) Piper is the middle sister and tries to get them talking. The magic beigns when Phoebe is playing with their spirit board and the pointer starts to move by itself. Its spells attic, and then the power goes out. Convinced that Phoebe is moving the pointer herself Prue doesnt believe it, until Phoebe manages to open the attic door (which the other were never able to get into) and she reads an incanation from the "Book of Shadows". Having unleashed the powers that had been binded until now, the 3 become the most powerful witches in the world "The Charmed Ones".
  • It's not a reel episode it's the same as Something Wiccan This Way Comes, but Phoebe is a other actress. Be glad thet it wasn't her who played all the time.

It's not a reel episode it's the same as Something Wiccan This Way Comes, but Phoebe is a other actress. Be glad thet it wasn't her who played all the time. In this episode they say things a little bit different and do it a little bit different and Shannon and Holly doesen't take it that seriusly.
    Phoebe moves from new york and goes to the attic and reads an incantation:
    Hear now the words of the Witches
    The secrets we hid in the night
    The oldest of gods are invoced here
    the great works of magiic is sought
    in this night and in this hour
    I call upon the ancient power
    to bring the power we sisters three
    we want the power
    give us the power
    and then they have a power each phoebe can se premenitions piper can freeze time and prue can move things with her mind.
  • The power of three will set them free!!

Love them all, piper, prue and phoebe! they are great. I love that they will bond so tight but at first they only fight and stuff. I think that al the powers have ther ups and Downs. Just like piper freezing her cheff, Preu moving stuff around an Phoebe getting a permenison of two boys getting hit by a car.

Devenelty a show i'll continue watching!
  • This episode is the unaired pilot of charmed with lori rom instead of alysssa milano

3.9
    OMG alyssa milano is such a better actress. lori just doesnt seem all that great. like it isnt believable, but with alyssa it is lori just doesnt fit. alyssa is perfect for this role. thank god lori left the show. and at.w king is better, bc the and shannen clicked bettr than shannen and chris. this episode was ok i guess. :)
  • Thank God they decided to cast Alyssa as Phoebe, Lori Rom didn't quite fit... Hell!! She didn't fit at all.

5.7
    They reused some scenes, re-shooted some others, and almost ruined the show entirely by ever casting Lori Rom at all... She didn't look like she was acting, she looked like she was "trying" to look excited as Phoebe, and she overacted during the whole thing... Good thing they went for Alyssa and sticked with her, I don't think I could have ever seen the show with Lori, because I think it would have died with her. Period.

The only reason I don't give it a 4 or less, is because the scenes with Prue and Piper were good, and because I didn't find Andy interesting enough to cause an impact; not here, and not in the complete 1st season.
  • Something wicca this way comes; pilot version.

5.3
    Basically, this episode is exactly the same as “something wicca this way comes” except a few differences. The most striking one is that the actors that play Andy and Phoebe are different, and Darryl’s character isn’t in it. Since “something wicca…” is one of the episodes I have seen the most times I found it very hard to see someone else say Phoebe’s lines. I really didn’t like the actress who played Phoebe, Lori Rom, because she lacked all the charm that makes Alyssa Milano such a great actress. I also found the other actors’ skills worse when they were around Rom. Also Andy’s character is much better with Ted King than this actor. He was totally different. I missed Darryl much too since he complemented Andy in a very good way during season one.
    Other than that there were some changes in the original script but nothing really important. Some scenes were deleted and some weren’t. Some were even the same in the real episode as in the pilot.
    Even though I like “something wicca…” much more than this episode, there were a few things I liked better here. First off I liked the comment that Phoebe said to piper about grams. Piper said something like: “Well grams wasn’t a witch and as far as we know, neither was mum.” Later on Phoebe said: “I beg to differ about grams.” I just found that very funny. The other thing I liked better about this episode was that Phoebe said she thought that Kit the cat seemed familiar to her. In season 5 it’s revealed that Kit really was the sister’s familiar.

All in all I give this episode a 6,5 grade. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t really good either. I just thank the gods that they changed the actors before the real show began.
  • No Alyssa No tw king why why why

2.6
    this was the most horrible thing i heve ever seen from charmed what were they thinking? omgsh that girl was so bad as phoebe there was no chemistry on the set and that guy that was andy i mean he was hot but um did he even like like prue?
  • I liked the story but I prefer Alyssa as Phoebe...

I think the Pilot was a good one and I understand why they've decided to make it as regular show. The story behind the three sisters was good. I also liked the fact that they didn't really knew they had powers so they were a little confused a times and even if it's mostly drama, it had its funny parts!
  • And alternate reality were Charmed becomes a bad show and thank God Alyssa Milano came and the set changed.

This episode is really weird in a lot of ways. Lori Rom as Phoebe Halliwell didn't bring any chemistry to the trio and made Piper look younger. I can't imagine her eight years later with her being on the show. The original set that they used (the interiors of the manor)were very small and the girls looked very crowded in there. Not a very good place to blow demons over the years.

The end is very bizarre, even for Charmed. Having Jeremy turned into a snake to attack the charmed ones while they hang on from part of the plumbing that is in the middle of the attic, while the call upon the Power of Three. Pathetic. Thank God it was improved in "Something Wicca this Way Comes" for a long-running series.
  • o my gosh!

im so glad that they had alyssa insted of lori rom (or watever the name is). she didnt even look like prue and piper. and it skipped some scenes too. and it didnt even sho the premonition of jermey not dead. and she just cant act at all. thank you alyssa!
  • The Pilot Episode is the episode when the charmed sisters come in contact because of their grandmother's death. What they dont know is they were meant to have powers and when they reunite the powers come together.

This was a great episode because it first showed the charmed ones in action and doing good all over again. The charmed ones realized in this episode that they were destined for good, and that their mother knew they were special. If their grandmother had not died then there would be no charmed ones.
  • Recap of the Charmed beginning: From fright and fuss, darkness and luminescent lights, this show marks the best time on television. Shock tackles Piper, disbelief rattles Prue and Phoebe enjoys the ride to this captivating magic existence.

Six months after a family death, the three Halliwell sisters reunite at Halliwell Manor where they grew up. Words are barked, hugs are missed and ice is in the air. What better atmosphere could you ask for? From fright and fuss, darkness and luminescent lights, this show marks the best time on television.
    Upon Phoebe's discovery of The Book of Shadows, she releases her and her sisters' magical powers un-beknownest at the time. She tries to makes believers out of her sisters, but past prejudices and actions prevent Piper and Prue from believing. That is until Prue can move things with her mind, Piper can freeze time, and Phoebe can see glimpses of the future.
    Shock tackles Piper, disbelief rattles Prue and Phoebe enjoys the ride but all emotional baggage including the dirty and evil between the sisters are smashed when not too long after receiving their powers, the sisters are attacked by a warlock who is undercover as Piper's boyfriend, Jeremy Burns.
    Love was mistaken for Piper Halliwell and magic was her redemption because her and her sisters unite to vanquish the evil lover-sucker with a Power of Three spell.
  • It’s a good thing Phoebe was recast with Alyssa.

I saw this pilot with Lori as Phoebe and just WOW! Thank you Aaron Spelling for getting the role recast with Alyssa. Lori’s acting was wooden and really uninteresting to watch. Plus, the special effects used weren’t as low budget as the original Buffy pilot, but are still pretty bad. It’s not completely unwatchable since Shannon and Holly still play the roles of Prue and Piper, but since it practically mirrors Something Wicca This Way Comes, I wouldn’t bother watching this if you get your hands on it.
  • She Sucks!!! Lori sucks as the phoebe sister!!!

0.5
    Lori really sucked. She is like 10 years older than the other sisters. She is supposed to be the youngest sister and all. The Scenes of this house was like in an older setting or so. The story line and plot were good and all but it was just that lori sucked playing as phoebe. she was okay but just that the other girl alyssa was better at the role. The guy who played as andy in this one was great and it was a better ending where he talked about the cat and all other than the guy who plays in the rest of the seasons. But it is still good with the other guy. But the main thing is that Lori sucked playing phoebe and its better with alyssa as phoebe.
< 1 2