Charmed

Primrose Empath

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 2000 on The WB

• Cole joins the party and Prue, super w(b)itch...

This is a marvelous episode until a very unfortunate finish. Cole is maintaining his indirect attack on the Charmed Ones; this time by leading Prue to a demon infected with the power of empathy, which is understandably quite a curse for any demon to be inflicted with.

Probably my favorite thing about this episode is Cole, Phoebe, Leo and Piper being together and going out for lunch. It is a short scene here, but it portends to the future, when Charmed is at its best.

The demon, Vinceros, is very well played. The actor, admittedly, makes a better suffering empath than he does an unstoppable demon, but he is just sinister enough to be believable. Meanwhile, a strong case can be made here that Shannen is at her all time best; it is a little easy to say when she has so much to do. I loved it when Piper went off on the Father and told him to buck up. That was the Piper that we will get used to in future seasons. As the hard-working business owner and engaged sister, Piper is very much becoming like the eldest sister that she will eventually be. Did the writers already foresee Shannen's departure by this time? Perhaps.

The final Matrix inspired fight scene was ridiculous, frankly. When did Prue become Bruce Lee? The idea of having her astral self jump into Vinceros was a great idea, but she should have just done that in the first place. However, Vince was able to survive with everyone's pain at the beginning of the episode, right?

A second issue I have is the scene where Vinceros kills his second victim in church. If you are going to treat demons like they are real, then I don't know how you can have them freely passing into churches and using their powers. Demons should be avoiding them at all costs.