Charmed

Primrose Empath

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 09, 2000 on The WB

• A melange of different pop culture icons gone horribly wrong.

3.3
    "Primrose Empath" started out to be a great episode. Prue, thinking she's saving an innocent, in fact saves a demon and gets "infected," so to speak, with an empath's powers. This allows her to feel all the emotions in the city (and the world, to be sure) and essentially drives her insane. However, she is able to use the empath power to vanquish the demon in "Matrix"-style fighting, which I found hackneyed and, well, unoriginal.

Haven't I seen everything in this episode before? The empath situation seemed really familiar to me. Then I realized - Buffy the Vampire Slayer did an episode similar to this. In the episode "Earshot" from season 3, Buffy gets infected with a demon's blood and is able to hear people's thoughts. It seemed to me that Prue in "Primrose Empath" wasn't feeling the emotions of people; she was hearing their thoughts.

As demonstrated in season 6 of Charmed, when Phoebe got her empath powers, she couldn't hear thoughts or voices. However, in "Primrose Empath," it seemed that Prue heard voices. So, who was the true empath here - Prue in this episode, or Phoebe in season 6?

And the Matrix-style fighting did absolutely nothing for me. How many times has that movie been parodied or copied? How many times have those copies been BAD? If the Matrix hadn't already done it, the fighting in this episode would have really impressed me. But, it just seemed like a poor-man's Matrix.

All in all: Charmed at its worst.