Charmed

Repo Manor

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 22, 2006 on The WB

• Remake Manor

Despite seeming like 28 previous episodes thrown into a blender, I really liked this! Well, can you blame me? Doug E. Jones must hate Billie as the amount of Bimbo-Hate throughout this episode was just so damn funny!

Repo Manor introduces us to Pilar, Patra and Phoenix, three evil demons who have been studying the Charmed Ones for years and are now planning their attack. All three women shapeshift into Piper, Phoebe and Paige and trap the real sisters in a dollhouse. Meanwhile, Paige plans to tell Henry her secret and Phoebe moves out of the Manor.

The episode opens with an awesome teaser where Piper really kicks ass. Sadly, it turns out this is not the real Piper and it's actually one of the shapeshifting demons. It's a really annoying scene as you are led to believe the sisters have finally been allowed to kick some demonic ass but, alas, not so much.

I really liked the three-demon storyline but I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a re-run. The whole episode basically felt like a bunch of past Charmed hours. Size Matters, The Importance of Being Phoebe, Scry Hard and The Power of Three Blondes all came to mind. It's disappointing but at least the writers managed to improve on the majority of those episodes, in particular Three Blondes, which this episode most reminds. The A-story was full of plot holes but it flowed really well and Holly, Rose and Alyssa appeared to put a lot of effort into their new roles. I was a little annoyed though that the Demon-P's were vanquished at the end. They have been training to destroy the sisters for 8 years now but still manage to get their ass whooped. A really big missed opportunity.

The best thing about Repo Manor was, of course, the Billie-hate. When she's going on and on about her sister, Faux-Phoebe's "this is such a boring story" made me spill my drink. "I don't know why we still keep you around" made me burst out laughing. "Has anybody ever told you what a pain in the ass you are?" made me want to grab Doug E. Jones and kiss him repeatedly. Honestly, I have NEVER laughed so much for ages. I only wished there was some twist and it was really the sisters saying those things but... well, I can dream can't I??!!

Other things I loved included the excellently original death of Savard. It's nice to see the writers attempting a different way to vanquish a demon and this one wasn't just different, it was... really, really nasty. I also loved the final two scenes. Paige revealing her abilities to Henry featured some awesome acting from both parties and Holly Marie Combs was amazing in the closing scene. She looked genuinely saddened by Phoebe's moving out. I don't think I've ever seen her look so alone. Shame that Alyssa had a face like a statue throughout. C'mon Lyssie, at least one tear!!!

As this is Charmed, there were some things I hated. I still can't get over how unbelievably cruel, shallow and arrogant Phoebe is being, moving out at this specific time. I honestly don't know what she's thinking. Secondly, the magical creatures were completely pointless. Leprechauns? Fairies? Muses? Absolutely pathetic.

Repo Manor wasn't a classic episode of Charmed but the awesome action scenes and Billie abuse easily won me over. Surprisingly good.

Rating: B