Charmed

Saving Private Leo

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Mar 28, 2002 on The WB

• 1942 and all that

A Leo based episode at last. It's about time! Since getting married, he's been little more than a teleporting house husband.

The main plot involves two revenge-seeking ghosts from Leo's past. Turns out they were his best mates during the war but he left them to die in a hospital tent (you can see why they might be upset). Thanks to them, our favourite whitelighter loses a charge, forgets how to use his powers and almost loses Piper. Despite some glaring inconsistencies with other episodes, it's an enjoyable hour and makes a refreshing change from the usual demon bashing.

The story gives Brian a rare opportunity to act and he puts in a heartfelt performance. I do wish they'd give him more scripts like this; he's so good at these emotional scenes. Such a waste! The two brothers playing the two brothers were pretty dreadful but they did look good in their combats so I'll forgive them. I'd say Nathan was the fitter of the two.

For the first time in a few weeks, Cole and Phoebe are shoved to the sidelines. This actually works rather well, and the Source's plan to get Phoebe to move out of the Manor provides an intriguing (and almost lighthearted) subplot. Once again, Julian comes up with the goods, and it's nice to see the Source able to do something without the Seer holding his hand. I did like the shapeshifting office assistant but I can't see her lasting. She's way too leggy for this show.

How annoying was Phoebe? If you want a bit of peace and quiet don't set up shop in the kitchen at eight o'clock in the morning and certainly don't then moan at everyone else for having their breakfast. Dear God!
TNT