Charmed

Show Ghouls

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 20, 2005 on The WB

• Show Ghouls

Show Ghouls was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Charmed. I really enjoyed watching because the story was well written and the acting was superb. It was awesome to see Drake and Phoebe go back in time and they looked great in their attire. I liked how Piper made Leo go on a family vacation which they enjoyed while they could. Paige posing as Phoebe was very interesting and fun though she couldn't stop talking about herself. Everything worked out as the sisters vanquish the spirit possessing Drake and help free the other trapped souls. Drake was an amazing performer at P3. I certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Rag Time Demons

Show Gouls-When Daryl's friend is possessed by the spirit of an innocent killed in a fire in 1899, Phoebe and Drake transport themselves back in time to the cabaret where it happened. However things go from bad to worse, when they find they cannot travel back to their own time. Meanwhile, Piper convinces Leo they need to take a family vacation.

Now this feels like some of the old Charmed! A dark intriguing plot that starts off with an interesting mystery. Darryl's friend suddenly losing it was good way to start the episode, doesn't hurt that veteran actor Charles Robinson was solid in the role despite only being in very few scenes. Billy Zane also continues to bring life to Charmed. Drake definitely brings back some fun into this series and you can tell he's starting effect the other characters, especially Phoebe. Their adventure into the 1890s was pretty cool and I have to admit, when it comes to portraying different time periods, the production team on Charmed do their homework. TheCabaret setting was flawless and the Count was actually a pretty decent villain. His M.O. wasunderstandably yet cruel, wanting to live forever andcondemningeveryone in the club to relive the events of the fire over and over for 100 years is brutal. The Count manages to be two steps ahead of the sisters and the twist with him being in Mike's body and not George wasnicelydone. Although, I have to wonder why Piper tried to blow up Drake when she found out he was possessed by the Count? She could have killed him!! What is with the nonexistentuse of herfreezingpower!? Is the budget REALLY that much of a burden for the writers to have random people stand till on set to make a decent freeze effect anymore? Sigh...

The Count's vanquish was also pretty cool, if not a borderline rip-off that seen from "Ghost". All and All, a good episode that make good use of it's 19th cemtury setting, with a decent villain and plot.

• MOULIN ROGET

Moulin Roget

Haven't we been here before? I seem to recall it was called "Pardon My Past" last time. But, then again, do I mean "The Good, the Bad and the Cursed"? Either way, it's not the first time the Charmed Ones have stepped into a period drama to rid the world of evil.

The time loop idea isn't new either. This time it feels particularly pointless - a nightclub owner decides to repeat the day his club burnt down over and over again until Drake and Phoebe burst in to stop him. As an excuse to show a few costumes it's alright but the story is a bit of a letdown.

Despite all this, it's still a decent hour. There's some quality acting, with Billy Zane stealing the limelight once more. I really liked his star turn at the end; thought it was very him. David Anders is also good as the evil club owner. Incidentally, he's the third member of the Heroes cast to have featured on the show (after Christine Rose and Zack Quinto).

In terms of subplots, Leo is still awaiting the elders' judgement. His opening scene with Piper is very good and both actors just about avoid bursting out laughing. It's so refreshing to see the two of them getting on so well. Reminds me of the good old days before the elders stuck their noses in.

Other stuff: Phoebe has an interview with some magazine and Paige ends up doing it instead. A bit of a filler plot but it's always good to see Elise in action - Rebecca Balding is one of the unsung stars of this show. And still no Zankou. What is he up to? They must have stuck him back in that lava lamp thing.

Score: 8.9
  • What a great episode! Time travelling, lost souls, cabaret performing - the whole package!

I don't understand so many negative reviews regarding this episode! I mean, this is a classical Charmed episode, top of the line!
    It's true that there were many time travels during the show, but each and every time it was different:
    In "the good the bad and the cursed" phoebe feels the pain of a man who lives is the 'wild west';
    in "that 70's episode" they go back to meet their family line;
    in "Charmed Noir" they go back to the 40s, glamour, elegance, sophistication (and Rose McGowan IS a regular femme fatale!);
    and now, we have a burned cabaret with many interesting costumes and innovative bad guys! I mean, c'mon!
    definitely one of the best episodes of season 7!
  • mmm... What was that!? I posibility of a great episode but only that... a posibility. We should love this episode and hate it at the same time. The reason is...

The reason is that this episode could have been really enjoyable, but it wasn’t…

It has one part great and one part horrible… that’s why I give it a six! (Because the effects breaks the balance!! Xd)

The Good: Piper and Leo scenes are great. Some people don’t see at all that!!! For example when they are packing to leave the house. It’s a great scene. Look at Piper when Leo gets the second bag or when piper says.. “the other patini” for shoe. It’s great.
    And what about Paige… when she is with the bodies in the sun room! She’s lovely!!! She’s so a good actress and make us laugh everytime.

The Bad: The Demon-story. It’s really poor and that makes the episode not adventurous! At least I have to confess that the effects are great (The fire, the explosions, etcc…) They did it very well! That is why I don’t give a five but a six. Without the fires… It only would be a half-episode!! Xd
  • It was just like another episode i saw !!

2.6
    This episode was unoriginal i knew i knew the kind of storyline somwhere, and i did back in season 3 where phoebe feels an injured mans pain and prue and cole go back in time to help him and phoebe. well in this episode a man is in pain and sort of possesed over a time loop similar to the other episode and phoebe and drake go back in time to help him, its even set in the same year as the other episode again it was good but the crew of charmed should of come up with something new this has happened before in previous episodes i did think the episode was good but unoriginal and a disappointment.
  • Phoebe and Drake

While I adore Phoebe and Drake together and they have so great moments in this episode, the episode itself isn't really that great. At least not to me. But as I said Phoebe and Drake have so rediculously charming and super funny moments together. They have great on screen chemistry and really work well with one another. I love them! I'm gonna miss him so much. And the singing, oh man the singing!
  • One of the worst (if not THE worst) episodes in Charmed's history. Such a shame...

It was one big disappointment, that's all that can be said about this episode. Which is a true shame for a series that used to be so enjoyable and fun to watch. I guess it's only natural for a series that has been on the air for so long, to loose focus and fail where it once was cream of the crop:
    being a really fun, light-hearted show.

This episode in particular failed miserably to entertain to even the slightest degree. Despite the two well know guest stars (Billy Zane from the Titanic fame and Mr. Sark himself, David Anders from Alias) the episode can be described in one word: boring. Absolutely nothing happened.

Phoebe's neuroses grew way out of the ordinary (yes thats possible), Paige stood again in the sideways and Piper was, well, Piper: surly, worrysome and nagging. These are definitely not the characters we got to love over the past few years. And this episode is only a sample of the overall situation during the 7th season, the weakest one in the show's course.

All in all, saying that this episode was bad would be an understatement. And given that this episode would be part of the final batch of episodes leading to the series finale, if the series was not renewed, it was literally a waste of time.
  • Well done but lacking excitement

This wasn't a bad episode—in fact, it was a good episode—but it should have been more exciting as the lead-in to the big 150th episode and the return of Julian McMahon as Cole.

Billy Zane was again wonderful, and his chemistry with Alyssa Milano is hard to beat. But the episode was scattered—and no wonder. There was little interaction between the sisters: Phoebe was working with Drake to rescue the lost souls; Piper and Leo were taking the boys on a trip around the world; and Paige was trying to get a life outside Magic School.

The costumes and special effects at the caberet were visually appealing, and there was nice attention to character arc (Piper and Leo's awaiting the decision of the
    Elders, Paige feeling trapped at Magical School, Phoebe and Drake's budding but doomed romance). Still, the episode lacked a unifying theme that would have made the plot feel like more than a series of events.
  • to much red

7.7
    When Pheobe goes back in time to the saloon she is trapped there. The concept of this idea was good except I think they did not put any depth into this episode. The concept of the sick friend of Daryl\'s was good but Pheobe being stuck there and with no powers or spells makes no sense. Why wasn\'t she more prepared for the journey with a back up plan. Piper trying to convince Leo of the need for more family time seems to be like hitting your head on a wall when it comes to Leo\'s thoughts. This was a fair episode.
  • It Has to Be Zane to Be Believed

6.8
    After a run of terrible episodes, we finally get an original, intriguing and fun hour of Charmed. This one is set in a cabaret bar in 1899 and features the brilliant Billy Zane as Drake in his second appearance on the show.

Show Ghouls has Phoebe and Drake being transported back to 1899 to investigate when Darryl's mentor has visions of a fire in a cabaret bar. They soon discover that they can't return to the present day and set about ending the replaying of events which have been set in motion by the evil Count Roget.

Billy Zane was absolutely brilliant in this episode and brings in some new freshness to Charmed which hasn't been seen in ages. His character, Drake, could have easily been as boring as every other love interest they have on here (Jason, Richard, Dan: I'm looking at you!) but instead, the writers actually make him one of the best characters on the show, he actually has a personality! Billy Zane really brings depth to Drake that some other second-rate actor might not of.

There was a nice guest spot from David Anders as Count Roget. Best known as the sinister Mr Sark on ABC's Alias, he's always good at bringing evil masterminds to life and Count Roget is no exception.

Show Ghouls, as well as having a brilliant title, is an all-round entertaining hour.