Charmed

Siren Song

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 06, 2002 on The WB

• Sing It To Me, Demon Lady!

Siren Song-Cole and Phoebe both fall under the spell of the Siren, who lures husbands to her and entrances their wives to follow with the intent to kill, leaving Piper and Paige to figure out how to save Phoebe. Piper, upset with Leo because he does not understand the challenges of being pregnant, and Leo, frustrated that Piper does not realize the demands of being a Whitelighter, have their powers switched magically by their unborn child. Fianlly, a serious demon plot (somewhat). I mean here we have the first real decent demon of the week plot of the season. The Siren has a good M.O. and is played seductively well by Melinda Clarke. I just wish this part of the episode wasn't overshadowed by the already tiresome Cole/Phoebe saga and Piper/Leo's "Day In The Life" hijinks. It seems for every moment Cole and Phoebe end on good terms, another episode comes along and adds more needless melodrama to it. Cole just can't get a break and once again he's forced to look like a bad guy when the Siren pulls him under her spell and he almost kills Phoebe. Even when Phoebe and Cole once. again. talks things out at the end and try to come to an agreement, Cole. still/ comes out looking like the bad guy. geeze, Phoebe if he's powers bother you so much than strip them and Cole, if you want her back so bad, then let her strip your powers. Problem solved! But alas, these are the writers of Charmed and common sense started exiting stage left once Season 4 ended!

Holly and Brian looked like they were having fun playing the revese roles of Piper and Leo. But even their enthusiam can't shhake the continued silliness of the writing this season. For all the dark, demon goodness of the Siren we get Leo burping orbs and complaining about morning sickness. Yeah.... But the sight of Leo blowing up the Siren was pretty priceless. I just find that the writers are just using the baby Haliwell as a Deus Ex Machina so far. If the baby is jus an inch long like Piper said, how can it have all these powers and pretty much do anything it wants magically? I would understand if Piper was ready to deliver or the baby was just born, but geeze, that's a little too much power for a baby that's not even a baby yet! Anyway, I also liked sub-plot with Melissa and Paige learning to be a better whitelighter. The scene at the prison between the two women was nicely done by both actresses and we also got some cool action set pieces like the scene where Paige and Piper confront the Siren at the hospital. It's as just fun as it was the first time, especially when Paige orbs after Piper as she falls out of the windows. "Siren Song" is a decent Charmed outing, a little more Siren sing and a little less Leo attemping to write a spell would have helped...a lot!