Charmed

Sleuthing With the Enemy

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 2000 on The WB

• Just when you thought it couldn't get any better....

This episode has been coming for some time and, boy, is it worth waiting for. Everything about it is first class: the acting, the writing, the effects and especially the direction.

Not for the first time (I'm thinking "Apocalypse Not" here), good and evil must pair up to get the job done. In this case, the Charmed Ones are forced to team up with a demonic bounty hunter named Krell to track down and vanquish the wounded Belthazor.

Krell is an awesome baddie, always snarling and taking swipes at the Charmed Ones. Guest actor, Scott MacDonald, does a wonderful job. The scene where Piper freezes him in mid air then unfreezes his head is fantastic. Great idea and brilliant special effects. Shame Prue didn't think to move the clock before he unfroze.

For much of the episode, we have two strands: one involving Prue, Piper and Krell and the other involving Phoebe and Cole. Leo flits between the two. Both stumble on the truth about Cole at the same time. Gripping stuff!

There are plenty of highlights. I love the scene where Cole and Phoebe are pacing alongside each other, trying to suss each other out. Great acting and great direction. Ditto Leo's attempt to heal Cole. As ever, Julian is quite superb. Hope he isn't out of the show too long.

And what a twist at the end! With hindsight, it's easy to forget how much we didn't know about Cole until this episode; at the time, this must have been edge of the seat stuff. Having Phoebe use her potion on his blood and jacket was genius. And now she has a secret to keep from her sisters.

I could say more but you get the drift. Definitely the best hour of Charmed yet.